Author Topic: Meal refusal 8 months - high chair  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Moma of two

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: March 22, 2013, 13:04:20 pm »
I have been attempting solids for two months.  We are at three meals per.  Each meal is less than a tablespoon as it either starts in tears r ends on tears.  Just putting her in high chair starts the tears or putting on her bib.  It is obviously distressing as she needs to sample foods.  She is on about 35 oz of special formula due to allergy.  Do you think this is why she is refusing solids.  I attempt them 1 hr after bottle.  She is about 19 pounds so not starving,  I am trying to drop dream feed but difficultto do without solid intake,

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Meal refusal 8 months - high chair
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 13:13:13 pm »
Have you thought about trying some finger foods instead in a different environment?  You could do some sticks of steamed or roast veggies, pieces of soft fruit etc and have a little picnic on a mat on the floor where she can just explore the food with her hands and taste it if she wants to?  Some babies hate being spoon fed and respond much better to a more baby-led weaning approach.  What about just sitting her in her chair at the table when you are eating your meals?  Again put a few bits on her tray for her to explore if she wants to, but don't force the issue. She will not come to any harm at all at this age if she isn't taking much in the way of solids - milk is still the most important, and one day you will probably find she just suddenly decides that she is interested in solids after all :)

Offline Moma of two

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 14:08:42 pm »
Thank you.  My issue is also that I am trying to drop dream feed before I return to work so solids need to be increased.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 14:16:04 pm »
Hello, I just wanted to let you know I was in your boat at the same exact age. He just turned 10months and I've finally gotten him to eat solids. He does both a little bit of finger foods and spooned puree's. The only suggestion I have is give it a break for a couple days and try again. My LO was only eating about 25/26oz and he was still refusing solids. He didn't take to it until we switched around his bottles etc. and dropped to 3 (which I know it's early for you yet to do that.) I would ether try later maybe 2hrs later to see if that makes a difference. If it does you know it's the formula possibly making a difference. Mine would never eat that soon after eating a full bottle. He's on Elecare for allergies as well. Also try not using the high chair for a bit maybe feed in your lap give her things off your plate she can eat as well as spoon feeding her?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Moma of two

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 14:27:57 pm »
Thank you I will have to change my approach with her milk allergy I can be a little limited, I am just concerned that she is getting the iron needed at this age also trying to ensure protein intake.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 14:47:36 pm »
I totally feel your pain. I wish I could give my lo cubes of cheese and yogurt and such but alas we're stuck with waht we've got. :) I did find some milk/soy free bread in the frozen natural section of my grocery store so that was good. I dunk it in puree and he picks it up. If you are feeding formula and she's eating 24oz a day that's enough iron. :) I had the same worry.

**Siobhan**

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 14:52:03 pm »
 While food refusal can feel stressful, the fact is that until 12 mos of age, a childs nutrition is from milk/formula. Solids are for experimentation, and aren't a neccesity per se. I agree to change the tactic, don't put a bib on her, maybe sit her on your lap.  Have you ever tried a baby-safe feeder? It's like a tiny mesh bag with a handle on it...dd LOVED it, we'd put apple chunks in it, melon, etc.  They can't choke, but can get all the flavor and juices thru the bag.

Offline Moma of two

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 18:24:13 pm »
Thank you guys so much for suggestion. She is now sick and screams while pooping so eating solids just adds to the stress.  I will try both suggestions

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 18:37:49 pm »
Just my opinion but you could take a week off. Just let her relax, and both of you recover :). Hope she's feeling better soon.

**Siobhan**