Author Topic: I need to sort out these toys!!  (Read 8980 times)

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: I need to sort out these toys!!
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 13:38:20 pm »

I had probably 1/10 of the toys my kids have!
Same here, but I also remember spending a lot of time complaining that I was bored, there weren't enough age appropriate books, crafts materials, or toys and most of what I had was passed down from older siblings and either worn out or not age appropriate.  The risk I suppose is to go the opposite to this and have too much for DS, but I see good value in everything he has.

Yes, it's about balance and providing the *right* kind of toys.  I am reading Simplicity Parenting at the moment (Anna's suggestion - thank you!) and it is great - lots of good stuff to say on this topic (and more).  Would def recommend reading it.

Re boredom - it is good for kids to be bored sometimes (of course, not all the time!) because it encourages creativity and imaginative thinking.  I think the trick is to get the balance right.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 13:44:10 pm »
  I am reading Simplicity Parenting at the moment (Anna's suggestion - thank you!) and it is great - lots of good stuff to say on this topic (and more).  Would def recommend reading it.

I keep meaning to order it in from the library.  I'm guessing it talks about more open ended toys that inspire imagination and creativity.  Basically that is the bulk of what we have, there is just so bloody much of it! 
Heidi

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 14:05:56 pm »
  I am reading Simplicity Parenting at the moment (Anna's suggestion - thank you!) and it is great - lots of good stuff to say on this topic (and more).  Would def recommend reading it.

I keep meaning to order it in from the library.  I'm guessing it talks about more open ended toys that inspire imagination and creativity.  Basically that is the bulk of what we have, there is just so bloody much of it! 

Yes, open-ended toys are definitely a big part of it.   Also creative toys (arts) and e.g. a gardening/tool set so LO can do proper gardening/woodwork etc (when old enough).  Also reducing the total amount available (at any time).  I will have a look this evening and see if I can summarise his key suggestions about what kinds of toys are good to be kept, and what should be got rid of.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 14:46:45 pm »
I'm guessing it talks about more open ended toys that inspire imagination and creativity.  Basically that is the bulk of what we have
Same here. And I do agree with limiting how much is available at once too.
Some things like a box of toy animals that don't 'do' anything (ie no electronics) started out here as purely fill and dump activity when he was younger, then names and sounds of animals, counting, and I can imagine them being used in the future in a more story telling, imaginative play way.

Re boredom - it is good for kids to be bored sometimes (of course, not all the time!) because it encourages creativity and imaginative thinking.  I think the trick is to get the balance right.
For sure. I just ended up doing stuff I shouldn't have been doing from lack of challenging activities and age appropriate books etc (things like, 'what happens when I set fire to this at the kitchen hob whilst everyone else is asleep and I have hours before they are up' - scary when I think back!).  For example we had hundreds of books in our house, but few/none for my age or I would have spent a lot more time reading.

I've had that book on my wish list for a while now.  Think it will be my next purchase when I finish the one I'm reading.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 14:51:52 pm »
(things like, 'what happens when I set fire to this at the kitchen hob whilst everyone else is asleep and I have hours before they are up' - scary when I think back!).

Yikes, that is scary!  If nothing else, we always had books when I was a kid as my Dad was big into the library and on the board for many years.  Loads of lego, homemade playdo, etc.  Oh yeah, that is one thing we have a load of but I forget about - lego! We keep it at a desk in our spare room because I don't want those teeny pieces all over the house.  Plus, when the baby learns to crawl, they can shut the door and not worry about infiltration!
Heidi

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 14:59:10 pm »
We have a lot of 'tools' rather than toys - for example DS has his own good-quality cooking stuff and we have just bought him some lovely gardening tools. He was out there planting potatoes with DH the other day!

I find he goes for 'joining in the adult activities' kind of stuff first and then reverts to toys as he needs them....not much at all, I think. I could reduce further........

On holiday last year we took 4 or 5 activties for a week and I was amazed at how much he played! I also took stuff that I didn't care about getting broken, messed up etc and that really freed him up. Will be doing the same next time but very hard to do at home as I like to buy good quality toys and then sell them on!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015