Author Topic: just about had it with bottle fighting  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
just about had it with bottle fighting
« on: March 24, 2013, 11:32:35 am »
So since we've dropped to 3 bottles it's been a struggle to get him to eat the 3 8oz bottles. The worst seems to be the morning which is odd. Last 3 days after 3/4oz he comes off to burp and will NOT take more. Just sreams at me and kicks etc. I'm just beyond frustrated and feel like crying every morning because only god knows how its going to go. He's always heen like this but I can usually trick him in to eating my but not this time. I've tried level 4 nipple but he can't take the flow and just starts crying. I've tried feeding right after wakeup and 30min after wakeup. I've tried putting him down for 10min to play in his room after the )irst 4oz but he just wont eat. I'm so tired.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: just about had it with bottle fighting
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 13:04:34 pm »
Why not drop that bottle then? No point stressing both of you out over it. You could give him the milk in a sippy cup or beaker with attached straw at breakfast, use some to make up his breakfast, and then be on two bottles?

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 14:50:51 pm »
He doesn't use a sippy. He refuses to drink out of it. THe only thing he'll drink water out of is a glass I have to hold and pour in his mouth.  If I put formula in it he refuses. We just dropped to 3 bottles a week ago. It's not just he AM bottle he does this for his afternoon bottle too. Luckily this morning after letting him crawl around after 3oz for about 15min he drank another 3. Its still not the 8 we need but it'll do. He' snot eating enough solids to really make up the calories for what is lost by not drinking. He only eats about 3.5oz a sitting 2X a day. I

I want to try a sippy cup with a straw but no idea how or what one to get him? How do I use his formula in breakfast? He's very very picky and still not feeding himself well.

**Siobhan**

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 14:57:04 pm »
Use it to mix up baby porridge/cereal? use it instead of milk to make pancakes? use it to thin down some mashed banana and avocado?

There are loads of straw type ones on the market to try. You might have to demonstrate how to use it but my daughter could certainly use a straw at 9 or 10 months, she drinks a smoothie with one.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 16:15:11 pm »
He refuses any food with texture so unfortunetely I can't feed him oatmeal/porridge or anything. I have tried pancakes but he'll eat maybe a small bite or two and then spit it out.. I'm giving it another few weeks then will seek and OT. But for now I'm just trying to make sure he gets enough formula in him. Any thoughts on which sippy with straw is a good one?

**Siobhan**

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 16:21:56 pm »
I'm in the UK so no idea what is available over there. I'd just get whatever you can find and try it out.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 16:27:11 pm »
I would think it's worth buying a couple of straw cups & seeing what happens, we had one which DD didn't like very much and she much prefers a straightforward sippy with the valve removed. We also have a doidy cup which she used herself from 6 months onwards. If your DS likes an adult glass, perhaps try a doidy with a very small bit of water and/or milk and let him play with it. My DD got very wet trying at first but she has become quite proficient at drinking unaided now and I tend to keep her sippy cups for outside the home.

Have you tried many finger foods, if your DS is fussy about solids, maybe he'd be better feeding himself. Do you offer much in the way of dairy products?

I've always been much of the view that if DD doesn't want something I won't push it, do you think it's possible he's picking up on your worry about it. I know it is easier said than done, but perhaps if you try not to worry about it for a few days and let him have what he wants & no more then perhaps after a few days it will become less of a battle again.

But if after that, if you are worried, you should speak to your health visitor or similar, if only to put your mind at rest.
~ Naomi ~

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 16:30:04 pm »
This was my fav straw sippy by far:

http://www.playtexmommyville.ca/CupsMealtime/Lil-Gripper/Lil-Gripper-Straw-Cup.aspx

They also make this one now, which looks like it would be easier to suck from that the first link:

http://www.playtexmommyville.ca/CupsMealtime/Lil-Gripper/Lil-Gripper-Straw-Cup_(1).aspx

DD2 didn't like textures either, she was on purees for quite awhile and went straight to table food.  She did like oatmeal though, things like banana and slimy fruit bothered her most. 
Heidi

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 16:31:03 pm »
I know it is easier said than done, but perhaps if you try not to worry about it for a few days and let him have what he wants & no more then perhaps after a few days it will become less of a battle again.

But if after that, if you are worried, you should speak to your health visitor or similar, if only to put your mind at rest.

This is excellent advice. I'm always wary of getting into any kind of battle about what goes IN to our little ones, or what comes out of them - it's the two things they really can control, and if it turns into a fight they will ALWAYS win... so if you can avoid a fight, it's always for the best.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 16:50:18 pm »
I agree with others about not worrying and not battling. We went through similar at that age and I just dropped a bottle.  He started taking 8 oz in morning and 8oz before bed... it took a day ir two but he adjusted to it and it was best. Made my life easier too, which was a bonus! It also increased his appetite for solids as well, so all around a winner!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 17:45:40 pm »
Thanks all for the advice. I dont ever push him when it comes to solids, he is given as many choices as I can come up with from purees to finger foods, some he likes some he refuses. When he says he's done he's done. However with bottles he's only 10th percentile in weight and so we are very concerned with his formula intake. It went from 28/30 to 24 when we dropped a bottle which is fine but his solids didnt increase as much so thats why i worry about it.  Thanks for the info about the sippy cups will look them up.

**Siobhan**

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 17:52:53 pm »
Has he always been the 10th percentile for weight?  My DD was the 5th but she was always the 5th so it's not an issue. So long as they are following a curve then its not an issue.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 17:57:53 pm »
He dropped from 25th to 10th.

**Siobhan**

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 18:48:19 pm »
Remind me about the reflux meds and dosages again - my two both struggled with milk intake when things weren't under control with their reflux.

Laura

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 18:50:09 pm »
Mine was the same - but he dropped to 2nd.  I think at this age there is a lot of activity, they are more mobile, less interested in eating because of the world around them, and food is not as interesting as it was a few months ago when they were just getting it!   DS was under consultant paediatrician care because of his allergies and he was not worried one bit about the weight drop, he said unless it dropped lower than that and stayed lower than that for a few months then not to worry at all - activity level and "spirit" were a better indicator, meaning he was not lethargic, not showing any signs of being ill along with centile drops, and also because he had not actually LOST weight, just that he was not gaining as high as the centile charts did.