Author Topic: LO cries when i brush her teeth  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
LO cries when i brush her teeth
« on: March 24, 2013, 14:44:02 pm »
My LO has just got her first 2 teeth coming through so i thought i should start brushing her teeth. I have only tried it 3 times but each time she is in floods of tears.

Is there a special way i should be doing it, or do i just need to persevere until she gets used to it?

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: LO cries when i brush her teeth
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 14:46:31 pm »
Are you using a regular toothbrush?  Really, at that age you could do it with a cloth over your finger or buy a special brush like this:

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3756416

There are also ones that slip on a finger and have raised bumps on one side.
Heidi

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 14:50:32 pm »
I've been using the one the health visitor gave me. I think i will try the cloth over my finger for a while then try to get one of those brushes that slip over my finger.

You would think the HV would tell you this instead of just giving you a proper tooth brush.

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 14:59:31 pm »
You would think the HV would tell you this instead of just giving you a proper tooth brush.

No kidding!  I was always advised to wipe with a cloth from birth, even before they have teeth...not that I was really regular doing that or anything!
Heidi

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 16:37:32 pm »
Here is a helpful sticky but I also used the wipe method for those first teeth:

Tips for Teeth Brushing
Katt

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 16:43:00 pm »
I've been using the one the health visitor gave me. I think i will try the cloth over my finger for a while then try to get one of those brushes that slip over my finger.

Mmhm. Mine gave me a jumbo sized tube of cinnamon flavoured Close-Up to use as well. My DS was 11 months old......

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 19:28:19 pm »
The only way I can get DD to let me stick the toothbrush in her mouth is if I do it too;)
So I pretend to do my bottom teeth, then she lets me do her bottom teeth, the I pretend to do the top and she lets me do the top. DD thinks it's hysterical and I can get a few good scrubs in. We started with the tiny toothbrush with rubber bristles (the one you stick on your finger didn't work for her) and will do go on to the tiny brush with a few normal bristles and a bit of fluoride free toothpaste. We'll see how that goes.
Her molars have just started coming through and I have no clue how she'll let me clean those though...

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 19:54:33 pm »
I have my kids lay their head in my lap and I lean over (like the dentist does) and when I open my mouth and say "ahhh" they copy me.
Heidi

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 23:31:38 pm »
My HV gave me a brush which stated on the pack was for a 2 yr old.  Plus she gave me a tube of kids toothpaste which was fluoride free in an area where we are advised to use only adult toothpaste WITH fluoride.  They just give out whatever they get for free.  not always useful, but I did keep the toothbrush and eventually it got used, so save me a couple £.
I always used a regular soft, small head toothbrush for babies.  From 4 months until first tooth I didn't use toothpaste, then I used a smear.  I found it helped when he saw me brushing my teeth.  I used to do his whilst he lay on the floor on his mat but later when there was resistance I change it around and sat him on my knee and counted.  If you can only count to 5 (slowly) then it is something. Gradually build up...and they learn to count at the same time  - bonus!

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 00:03:24 am »
in an area where we are advised to use only adult toothpaste WITH fluoride.

Totally OT, but just curious as to why that is?
Heidi

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 00:17:35 am »
Some parts of the UK have fluoride in the tap/drinking water, in these areas it's advised children are given fluoride free toothpaste so that they don't get too much fluoride (which I believe can cause health issues).  Other areas the water doesn't have fluoride so it's advised that toothpaste with fluoride is used from the get go to help protect teeth.
I know some people are against the use of fluoride full stop but that's more a personal/health choice thing. I'm just talking about the guidelines in the UK re fluoride - HVs that tell you what toothpaste you must use, then give you one they've advised against.  Our dentist also advises adult toothpaste with fluoride for LOs regardless of age too.  It suits me, no separate toothpaste cluttering up the bathroom and no having to change from kids flavoured stuff to adult minty stuff.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 00:23:57 am »
I know some people are against the use of fluoride full stop but that's more a personal/health choice thing.

lol, that would be me ;D ...we don't use fluoridated toothpaste or drink the town water that has it (not on purpose though it is just horrid water). We do get fluoride treatment once a year at the dentist and she is fine with that as the kids have stellar teeth (I don't but ditching the fluoride has not negatively affected them).  Our school does a fluoride rinse program as well (once a week I think) as most people here probably drink bottled water.

I was thinking the reason for fluoride in kids toothpaste was lack of it in the water, but I'm always curious!
Heidi

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 14:34:01 pm »
I think in the UK it's far more common for the kids toothpaste not to have fluoride, which is why the areas where it isn't in the water (which I think is most of the UK but tbh I haven't looked into it) the HVs tell us to use adult toothpaste.
I've never heard of fluoride treatment at the dentist or in schools, shows how differently we all live hey.

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 14:37:25 pm »
I've never heard of fluoride treatment at the dentist or in schools, shows how differently we all live hey.

no kidding, it is routine here, I have had one every year since starting to go to the dentist as a child. I hadn't heard of it in school until Masyn started Grade 1.
Heidi

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 13:44:20 pm »
Too much flouride can cause rather horrid white/ brown marks on the teeth that are permanent. We live in a flouride area.

My DD screamed every time we did teeth until she was about 2.5.... Some LOs just hate it  :-\.

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 14:29:55 pm »
Too much flouride can cause rather horrid white/ brown marks on the teeth that are permanent. We live in a flouride area.

Interesting, didn't know that! Spencer's top front teeth are white & brown, but the dentist was suspecting it could be from antibiotics taken when she was in utero or as a small baby as she has never had fluoride!
Heidi

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 17:00:20 pm »
Yeah - some abs can do similar - it's called fluorosis when due to fluoride.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 18:54:00 pm »
M cries every single time and she is nearly 2.....I feel your pain!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!