Author Topic: drinking too fast on the bottle - need recommendations  (Read 1095 times)

Offline cosmicangel007

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
drinking too fast on the bottle - need recommendations
« on: March 12, 2013, 14:00:28 pm »
hi my DS is 3.5 months and has been on BM in the bottle since about 6 weeks.
the first month+ we were using the SNS system while on breast but he was clinching and hurting me.
We've been using the SNF (special needs feeder) with a valve system and flow regulator but it does not allow me to transition him to holding the bottle or putting handles on and making it a sippy cup for later.
i've tryed Dr. Browns, Avut, Medela Calm, Platex Push, Mam all with the slowest nipple and still he guzzles down the bottle

what is a standard time frame for a LO to drink a 5oz bottle?  My DS can polish off 5 oz ranging from 8-15 minutes.  I feel that is too fast!

does anyone have suggestions for a slow flow bottle that really works?

thanks

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: drinking too fast on the bottle - need recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 14:21:57 pm »
I think that time is about right for a bottle feed to be honest! My two would both finish a 8/9oz feed in less than 10 mins and you don't want a feed to last any longer than 20 mins max.

Is it causing him any problems like wind? If it is then you can slow him down by stopping to wind him midfeed but a slower teat will cause him frustration and have an impact on his feeding because they get too tired to finish the feed because they are sucking so hard.

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 15:34:21 pm »
^^  Same as Laura - my DD has never taken more than  10 mins for any bottle, even as much as 9 ozs :)`

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 16:10:28 pm »
Tommee tippee bottles are good. My lo is 6mths and has only just gone on to size 2 teats.