Author Topic: total feed volume and solids  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: March 26, 2013, 14:21:17 pm »
My DD is 6 months old  and has reflux.  We were giving her 7oz bottles during the day every 4 hours.  She usually had one night feed.  Our Ped GI told us we were giving her too much per feed so we backed down to 5oz per feed (we've had some vomitting and congestion but not sure if it's the reflux or a cold).  Anyhow...no vomiting in the past week and now she is waking 2x at night.  Basically she is eating every 4 hours.  She takes 5.5-6 oz per feed during the day, 7-8oz before bed, and we're giving her 4.5-5.5oz during the night.  She's averaging about 35oz per 24 hours (she weighs about 14.5 pounds).

Here are my questions:
1.  Are we giving too much or too little formula per bottle during the day?
2.  is this a growth spurt or is this the indication she is ready for solids?

We are hoping to start solids this weekend as we see the ped GI on Friday (food intollerance as well).  If we are to start with solids, that will lead to a whole other thread full of questions!

Thanks!

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: total feed volume and solids
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 05:37:33 am »
If we are to start with solids, that will lead to a whole other thread full of questions!

Yes it will, but there is another forum for that ;) 

That is a large volume for sure but not unheard of... the fact that she is now waking twice makes me think it might be time for some solids for sure.. at 6 months, she can start them :)  Of course, with food intolerances, you could be in for quite the process and it's not likely that much is going to be offered that will fill her more than her formula.

Why did the GI have you reduce her feeds?  Was she vomiting after most feeds?