Author Topic: 6mo takes forever to settle if waking at night  (Read 853 times)

Offline GeorgePorge

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6mo takes forever to settle if waking at night
« on: March 26, 2013, 16:12:29 pm »
Hello,
Tho I'm a new member, I have successfully used Tracy's books and found this site as a guest. So far The BW techniques have worked like a charm both when we dumped the dummy and to get DD to settle herself to sleep. Amazing! Now, though, I'm a bit stuck!

DD is just 6m/o and is on meds for reflux. I don't think it troubles her any more - a happy chucker prob due to meds. DD goes to sleep on her own for both nighttime (following a routine that we started at 6wks) and for naps (which are now usually 1.5/2 hrs thanks to BW). She is BF with a 150 formula DF. She was weaned early (4.5m) due to reflux and eats 3 'meals' (puréed - just started protein at lunch) a day.

The issue is that when she wakes at night she takes forever to go back to sleep (1.5/2 hrs). To start with she just grunts and wriggles. She does this for a very long time with the occ cry too. I leave her to settle herself at this juncture. Eventually (after at least 30m) she cries and - after a few minutes - I go in to find nothing wrong. PU/PD or Shh/pat (still likes my variant on that) commences and quickly settles her, the thumb goes in but she just can't go back off to sleep. We then revert to Pu/Pd or S/P a few more times (inc settled thumb sucking efforts on her behalf) and eventually she drops off.

I wondered if anyone had any ideas as to why this is happening or how to solve the issue. Many people have sugg some form of CC now she's 6mo but I don't want to do this. My mum wouldn't leave me in tears at 33 - why would I do that to her!?!

Thank you so much in advance!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 6mo takes forever to settle if waking at night
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 18:39:28 pm »
Hi there, welcome! :)

Could you post your EAS as it is right now (like this)?
E
A
S

Your daytime routine might need a little tweaking, which will help with your nights.  Well done on not listening to those who would have you do CC! :)  Love that line about your mom not leaving you to cry at 33!

Offline GeorgePorge

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 19:38:34 pm »
Hi Erin M,

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Wake for day 645am...

E 7am (BF then Baby porridge and fruit)
A play gym/dress/few minutes to chill then
S 845am

E 1015 (BF)*
A swimming/singing/toddler group or some such but including (E) protein meal at about 1145**
S 1230

E 1445 (BF)
A walk in fresh air with dog
S 1630

E 1715 (baby rice 2 cubes fruit)
A singing/playing/naked pre-bath time! Bath at about 1820
E BF
S 1900

E 2230 DF (but usually wakens fully on being put down and settles self back to sleep again)

* and ** I have tried to ensure any baby activities are always in this slot. I either BF before heading out then feed solids whilst out or give both after activity. I am kind of following another method's weaning plan but haven't yet dropped the 11am feed as it would suggest or the DF. DD feeds quickly when BFing so I find it hard to know what she's having and therefore am reluctant to drop either feed until we have some better sleep going on!

Many many thanks

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 00:44:16 am by Erin M »

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 00:43:42 am »
From looking at your routine, my guess is that she probably needs some more A time.  Even though she's taking some good naps, she's probably getting a little bit too much daytime sleep and it's causing her to be a little bit too awake in the middle of the night!  You're probably headed in the direction of dropping the cat nap and getting on to just 2 naps a day (there's good info on that here: All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months) -- average A time at 6 months can be up to 3 hours (though by all means, you don't need to be that high!) -- I'd bump it out gradually by no more than 15 minutes every 3-4 days. 

The advice from the WHO is to keep at least 4 milk feeds until a year -- and in the BW books, Tracy recommends keeping the df until around 7/8 months (I didn't drop it until nearly 10 with my ds, just like the reassurance that he was getting the calories as he was a big and hungry boy!) so I would agree with your decision to keep it all! 

Oh, and I imagine that you know that feeding length isn't really a good indication of how much she's getting -- as long as she seems content to wait between feeds and is having good diapers, you're fine!

Offline GeorgePorge

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 08:44:45 am »
Thank you. That all makes sense - just have to convince her (but Mummy, in sucking my thumb and turning away. Why wouldn't you put me down for a nap?). I'll try a few low key activities and try and stretch the A gradually.

I'll have a look at the link too.

Thanks again

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 18:49:45 pm »
Yeah, tired cues can get a bit unreliable at this age, they're just so used to sleeping at a certain time it's hard to convince them otherwise sometimes.