Author Topic: 8 mo refusing breast and bottle  (Read 890 times)

Offline aralmasri

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 27, 2013, 17:02:19 pm »
My 8 mo DS is refusing breast and bottle at all but his bedtime and DF.

He is doing very well with solids and has been excellent with breast feeding (and bottle feeding with expressed milk) until last week.  He has suddenly started to refuse both.  At first this was the morning feed only, now the only time I can get him to take a bottle is bed time and DF. 

I initially attributed this to the fact that we'd moved house and that he had had an early morning feeding because he had not been taking his milk-that whole vicious cycle.  Or maybe teething?  But this doesn't seem to be going away, and it seems to be getting worse.  He also doesn't have any other teething signs, and doesn't cry when I try to BF or bottle feed him.  Just seems very disinterested. 

This is coinciding with eating more "complex" foods--off mom and dad's plate.  So perhaps he now just prefers solids?

I have increased his solids and water intake to fill in for the lack of milk nutrition and liquid.  But I am concerned.

Is he self weaning, or should I keep trying? 

Thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 8 mo refusing breast and bottle
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 21:47:25 pm »
How much solid food is he eating in a day? Are you offering milk before solids or the other way around? He could be too full from too much solid food to be interested in the milk. I would cut right back on the solids and encourage the breast (or bottle if you prefer) for a week or so.

Have you tried feeding him when sleepy immediately when he wakes from a nap or just before a nap even?

Milk needs to be the main source of nutrition until 12mo so he really needs to be taking breast or bottle. About 25oz of breast milk a day is average.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 22:23:07 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 22:14:56 pm »
Agree with Ali.  Natural self-weaning just doesn't happen before 12m and more often well after that.
*** Amanda ***

Offline aralmasri

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 12:22:19 pm »
Thanks, ladies!  Helpful to have your thoughts on this.  I will do just that--I agree, he probably is just getting too full on solids.  I have probably gotten a little over-zealous relative to reccos for his age.  I was trying to be encouraging, but i don't want to deny him the nutrition in the milk!  Good reality check!

Milk is right away after nap--either bottle with nanny or breast with me.  He should still be sleepy, but I'll be sure we don't even take him out of his bedroom and feed right away after waking.

Also, I didn't realize the age of self weaning, so you're probably right there.  I will carry on trying!!

Offline aralmasri

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 18:08:57 pm »
Just to follow up, I reduced the solids and this totally resolved things. I love this community!!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 18:34:59 pm »
good news :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 20:06:39 pm »
Great. I'm sure you will be able to gradually increase the solids again soon.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011