Author Topic: not taking enough milk  (Read 1481 times)

Offline lucy1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 30, 2013, 09:47:40 am »
Hey everyone,
Just looking a bit of advise! I started my son on bottles 2 weeks ago after feeding him myself for 10 weeks! Hes on aptamil first milk but only taking max 3-4 ozs every 3-4hrs! Sometimes he'll just take 2ozs and not seemed fussed about anymore! I don't think he is taking enough! He has had a cold and hasnt progressed in weight according to his growth chart as he should have. Was wondering should I give him a heavier milk instead so it may fill him more? He wakes twice during the night also even with dream fed  and he won't cluster fed!

Advise appreciated, thanks
Lucy

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: not taking enough milk
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 21:42:37 pm »
So he is 12 weeks now??

What is his total intake in 24 hrs, including NF and the DF?

How much does he weigh?

As for using a hungry baby milk - no.  It will fill him and he will take less, not more.  The only difference with hungry baby milks vs regular formula is the protein balance and it can be quite hard on their tummies.  I would avoid it personally as it is not higher in nutrition at all.

He's too old to cluster for the most part so no need to worry about that at all.

Offline lucy1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:38:50 pm »
Yeah he's just over 12 weeks! He would take 21-23 ozs per 24 hrs! At times he'll just take 2ozs and when I try him again he just refuses! I allow an hr to fed him but don't usually go over that as it will mess up my 4hr routine!

Offline lucy1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 12:39:56 pm »
Sorry he weighs 5.4kg!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 15:34:03 pm »
What flow teat are you using - have you tried a faster one? Also keep the feeds to 20 mins max, bottle feeds should be done with in that time. If you let the feed go on then it doesn't give him enough time to get properly hungry before the next feed and you end up with a snacking baby.

If you start fresh in the morning get him to take as much as he will in 20 mins then stop the feed. You then need to get him to at least 3 hours between feeds, at this age many formula fed babies need a bit longer if they are taking decent feeds. If you use a faster teat and keep the feed to 20 mins you should fine he takes more at the next feed.

Laura

Offline lucy1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 16:45:49 pm »
Hey Laura
Yeah he's on number 2 teat (3-6 months)! He's had two 5 ozs bottles today and only took over 3ozs last fed! He seems hungry every 4hrs  so won't give him anymore and hopefully he'll take more the next fed! Fingers crossed!! Thanks for all the advise- its really helped xx

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 02:05:42 am »
Excellent!  Totally agree with Laura - limit those feeds in terms of time.. I think we have all experienced a snacker more than once!