Author Topic: 11mo - Formula Drop-Off?  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
11mo - Formula Drop-Off?
« on: March 31, 2013, 01:38:24 am »
Hello!

DS is a little over 11 months and his formula intake seems to be dropping off.  He is eating 3 meals a day and the odd time some snacks (though not usually) and he doesn't appear to be hungry and is STTN, but his formula intake is starting to drop off.  I am just wondering if this is a normal thing to experience as we approach the 1 year mark?  Up until now he was taking 3 x 8oz bottles and some days he eats them fine, but other he is taking maybe 4 - 6oz per bottle.  I'm not overly concerned about it since we are transitioning to cow's milk soon. If he doesn't take a full bottle I try to offer it again a little while later, though it's hit and miss whether he will actually take any more.

Is this normal?

Offline scruffymax

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Re: 11mo - Formula Drop-Off?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 03:20:24 am »
I wouldn't worry at all - as you say, by 12 months they can go to cows milk and actually don't really need bottles as such as long as they're having a few serves of calcium a day.  It's a normal transition for them to increase their intake of real food and decrease their milk.  I think DD was down to 2 bottles by 12 months and 1 by 13 months.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:54:17 pm »
Okay, I figured that much :)  He's really picked up his real food intake...he REALLY likes food LOL :P  But at this point I don't really think it's a situation where I should be reducing his solid food or anything like that.  Sometimes he still takes an 8oz bottle, sometimes not - it really depends on the day.  It's mostly his mid-afternoon bottle that he's slacking on, so maybe I should go down to 2 bottles or still keep trying 3?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 20:20:25 pm »
My LO is 10.5 months and this week dropped to 2 bottles of 8oz each, he was fighting the afternoon bottle, messing about with it batting it away and only drinking 2oz so I thought its not worth the stress and add a bit more milk to pasta sauces or give a more milky pudding! My LO loves his food and weight gain fine 75th centile so I just give him a snack and some water mid afternoon now.

I was worrying about it but my Hv and mum said be guided by baby as long as happy and healthy just go with it :-)
Zoe

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 00:46:27 am »
The last 2 days he's pretty well completely refused the afternoon bottle, so I think tomorrow I am going to try 2 x 8oz bottles and cow's milk with lunch.  He eats cheese and yogurt daily so he also had that intake too.  We'll give it a whirl, there is no point in fighting 3 bottles.  He move from 4 bottles to 3 fairly early too, so this doesn't really surprise me.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 02:11:37 am »
I would for sure go down to 2 and see how he does ;)

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 11:48:53 am »
Silly question...I've always offered DS a warm bottle, he really doesn't like it room temperature.  He drinks water cold or at room temperature.  Should I just start off offering milk cold, or do you/can you warm it?  I really want to get in a habit of him having to have warm milk too (or can you even do that!? LOL). 

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 03:45:07 am »
LOL!  I would try offering it cold and see if he likes it... if not, warm it up and then slowly reduce the amount of time that you warm it (you can microwave it just be sure to stir it afterwards to make the temp even throughout).

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 11:08:42 am »
He did fine with it cold :)  He didn't take it all at lunch and just sort of sipped on it throughout the day and then I put it back in the fridge when he was napping.  I think he took maybe around 150mls.  I am noticing though that he is also starting to slack on his 2 other bottles, he only took 4oz before bed and this morning only took 4 when he woke up.  I am going to try to offer it to him again, but I never have much success doing that.  I mean, I assume he should still be taking full bottles on WU and at BT too?

Offline scruffymax

• BW Devotee
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 08:35:39 am »
My DD never took as much on WU - when I was BF she only took one side so I always had to express the other side because it was ready to explode!  Then when I started leaving her with family a few days/week when I went back to work when she was 11.5 months she would rarely take the daytime bottle for anyone but me, so after a few weeks of her missing that bottle when she was with family I figured she didn't need it.  And I think it was when I went to the nurse at the 12 month check and she strongly encouraged getting off bottles by 15 months that I dropped the morning bottle and DD didn't even seem to notice.  I really wouldn't be worried if your LO isn't drinking as much milk at this stage - it's a natural progression and somewhat easier if they lead it!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 18:45:03 pm »
You are right I just think it is natural progression too.  I'm not really pushing it and just let him take what he wants, but I still offer 8oz in case!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 20:49:22 pm »
He didn't take it all at lunch and just sort of sipped on it throughout the day and then I put it back in the fridge when he was napping.  I think he took maybe around 150mls

Same rules apply to milk as formula... 1 hr after they start to drink from it, you should toss it out as bacterial growth can get ugly.  Also, if the milk is out of the fridge and he doesn't touch it, toss it after an hour as it will start to degrade.  No putting it back in the fridge.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 00:16:24 am »
Me again!

So, DS seems to really be weaning himself off the bottle (which I'm sure is much easier than having to wean him myself!).  He's been on 2 bottles - WU and BT - for about 3 weeks. His WU bottle has dropped to about 4oz.  He *normally* takes his BT bottle, but he has refused it a few times, including tonight.

So I guess my questions are - is it okay for him to be weaning this much at this point?  How much milk does he need to fill the gaps during the day (ie. what is the combined total of milk & formula he should be in-taking in a day?)

He eats cheese and yogurt daily, so he is getting more dairy there as well.  I know I'm just being overly paranoid...it freaks me out that he went to bed without a bottle tonight  :-\  And I'm paranoid thinking he's going to wake up hungry even though he had 3 good meals, snacks, and milk.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 00:34:35 am »
One more thing...we dropped the NFs around 8 months and then only time we picked them back up was after he was sick with the flu about 1.5 months ago, so he needed to be fed during the night, but he weaned those immediately after he was better.  So, if he refuses a BT bottle at this point and wakes during the night...should I feed him?  I really don't want to pick up NFs again, but like I said, I'm paranoid about him going to bed with no bottle.

Offline scruffymax

• BW Devotee
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 09:15:43 am »
I wouldn't worry - my DD still has a bedtime bottle but a few times she has refused it for whatever reason and it has never affected her sleep.  I would just go with it :-)  I'm sure the nurse I see said they should have 4 serves of dairy (not sure how big a serve is though!)  I figure DD is having milk on her cereal, yoghurt, cheese, and her bedtime bottle (and I'm still trying to get her to drink milk from a cup).