Author Topic: 9 month old, finger foods and choking  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Eggimou

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 31, 2013, 02:01:48 am »
Hi everyone,
I know that at 9 months, many babies are eating fingerfoods. I have done some banana, avocado and some rice rusks. I'm a bit concerned about anything more as my DS seems to choke/gag on anything lumpy. Is this normal?? Even a partially pureed apple piece he seemed to choke on. Also, he doesn't like to pick up his food and eat it, just mess it around. He eats off a spoon perfectly. He loves picking up rice rusks to eat but anything else, he just pushes around.
Any insight or ideas are appreciated!

Offline mycatmonet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: 9 month old, finger foods and choking
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 02:30:19 am »
hi! Playing with food is totally normal, and it's how they learn. Might be messy and more work to clean up, but it's important to squish food and experience it. Persist with the finger food. I introduced solids via finger foods at 6mths (baby led weaning). Good first finger foods to try are steamed carrot or zuchhini sticks (so they are soft). My DD loves carrots that way to this day.
Gagging is scary for mum, but it's not choking. Ensure baby is sitting upright, and has control over what they put in their mouth and they will learn how to manage lumps by themselves. Give him time and he'll explore and learn what to do. Do you eat together, so he can watch what you do with your food?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 19:41:19 pm »
Gagging is normal.  Choking is the issue (and is often silent).  Raw apple is notorious for it.  My son properly choked around this age on a piece of raw apple.  That said, kids can choke on anything, not just foods, seeing as everything goes in the mouth.  You must keep offering finger foods though.  Just go for softer ones for a while if you like.  Finger foods though help with dexterity and with speech development.  The thing which gave me confidence (and in the end saved my son's life) was going on a baby first aid course.  Can't recommend it enough.  Not sure where you are but in the UK the NCT run some.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 20:38:19 pm »
My LO loved grated cheese when I first started finger food...he used to pick up little bits, squash them on his food tray then suck fingers now at 10.5 months will grab a handful and shove it in lol!! Tiny toast squares and peas were a fave too! Apple was always an issue for us he never has jelled with it!
Zoe

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 20:56:06 pm »
Oh yeah, peas, sweetcorn, small pasta.  Finger food doesn't have to be big.  Good point!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 21:02:07 pm »
I often found too my LO was much more interested in my food so I'd pick him a little bit off and then he'd happily have a poke around with it!! Loves pasta too...especially throwing it lol!
Zoe