Author Topic: 6 month old is this normal?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline confusedmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
6 month old is this normal?
« on: March 31, 2013, 12:10:03 pm »
My DD is driving me mad with her feeding. Since she has been bottle fed from a week old she had never taken more than 4oz with a bottle. Her feeds would take an entire A time. She is on nutramigen for MSPI, but I'm not sure she actually has one but it was easier to keep her on it. She also has reflux, which is controlled with ranitidine an domperidone. It seems ok at the moment although she has a cough and is totally congested in her nose and chest.

She had her TT clipped last week and I thought it had solved her feeding problems, she was eating every four hours and taking 150mls sometimes even 180mls although she was still waking in the night twice I have reduced amount given to 60mls so that she will hopefully take more in the day, but even now her morning bottle is getting less an less an now she is reducing amount taken throughout day, I have just manage to get 60mls into her on her second bottle and that was nearly 5hrs after her first.

She is on solids, usually three meals she is only having really the pouches of pear and apple as she will not eat anything else. I have tried reducing amounts of solids but it makes no difference.

I it was just a one off I would just put it down to her cold or teething but she has been like this since I can remember and I just don't know what to do. Do I have I except that she will never eat loads and will always wake in night?

She is gaining weight although I haven't had her weighed in a while and at one point for about 6 weeks she was only taking about 14oz if that in a 24hr period and was not gaining any weight.

She now takes between 17 and 24oz in a 24hr period. Does anyone have any idea what I can do? What it could be? Is it a problem or is it normal?

Sorry for all the questions

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: 6 month old is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 02:09:22 am »
At 6 months, milk has to be her main source of nutrition.  She really should only have one offering of solids at 6 months... especially if her milk intake is low (which it is).

Honestly, my first suggestion would be to completely cut solids for at least 3-5 days to see if she brings that milk intake up again... we don't want her below 24 ozs a day at this age.  She may be holding out for solids... 

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 18:29:40 pm »
Hugs hun. Sounds likes reflux flare :-\ has she had Cher 6 mth GS yet?
Fwiw T is similar. The solids also help his reflux a lot and his milk is gross so finding a balance is hard.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline mummy2boys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 06:30:56 am »
Have you spoken to your HV? I'm having similar problem, my dd only drinks 4oz sometimes 5

Offline confusedmummy

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 06:41:01 am »
Thanks everyone. It is actually at its worse in the morning. I am now struggling to get more than 3oz in to her. She has a bottle every night, although I have reduced it down to just 2oz in the hope that she will eat more in the day, but its just not happening. I think she is having a reflux flare, but the doc says she's on max dose so there is nothing I can do. I have spoken to HV and she says to give her water or juice to keep up fluids and offer wide selection of solids, also offer yoghurts etc for calcium.

She is now having about 18oz per 24hrs and I'm mixing her milk with rusk for breakfast. It's just really frustrating.

She is really congested at the moment, but has been for months, so I don't think that's helping .

Sara- she has never been a big eater so I've not noticed any growth spurts : (

Update on today: so far today since being awake from 6am I have only managed to get 5oz in her from 2bottles. I've given her one solid meal but I'm holding out on second to see if she drinks more but it's not working. It's so unbelievably frustrating, I just want her to eat. If it was just a one off id think she was just poorly but it's been constant for months. Maybe she's just not a big eater, and maybe it's just the fact she's on nutramigen which I think is higher in calorie count?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:55:31 am by confusedmummy »

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 19:30:51 pm »
When T does is it is so frustrating! Will she feed better when asleep or just waking from a sleep (feed in her dark room all drowsy?) do you wait till she is hungry?
I have had a little success in feeding, then giving solids and re offering milk after the solids. T will take Mather 1-2 oz sometimes. You could try that?

Does she wake for NF?

What is her meds and dose?

Hugs xxx
***Sara***

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 19:31:44 pm »
Btw ladies 4-5 oz in 5 bottles is considered enough for them on neocate/elecare. Well according to my ped anyway ;) x
***Sara***