Author Topic: 9mth old refuses to b/f during the day  (Read 812 times)

Offline susantvw

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 02, 2013, 13:22:33 pm »
My lo is 9mth old and is refusing b/f during the day.  It all started when she started nursery 2 week ago.  No matter how hard I try she won't take expressed or formula from a bottle.I spoke to my health visitor about this and she said that as lon as my lo was having a good feed in the morning and at night she will be ok without the milk during the day.

My problem is that now she is refusing milk during the day when shes not at nursery.  For example this morning she had a big feed at 5.20am, we got up at 7am,  I tried her again at 8.30, she took one suck and refused it so she had breakfast, then nap was at 10.30am,  I tried her again and she took one suck again and didn't want it, she slept for 1hr 30 mins and when she woke I tried her with the breast again and again she refused it.  I try her before and after each nap and before and after each meal and any time inbetween when I think she might want to b/f and she either has one suck or turns her head away.  Shes on 3 lumpy meals a day and her food intake hasn't changed in the last couple of weeks for her to take less milk.  Is it just habit from nursery

Shes also not very good at drinking fluids in general.  We have to put water in a bottle and squirt it in her mouth, sometimes she'll swallow it and sometimes she'll spit it out.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Many thanks

Susan
xx 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 9mth old refuses to b/f during the day
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 18:54:49 pm »
Have you tried her with a sippy or open cup instead?

Is she teething? Or does she have a cold? Either of those could be making feeding a pain and too much trouble for her.

Can you mix EBM or formula with her food to get a few more ounces into her?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: 9mth old refuses to b/f during the day
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 18:09:00 pm »
It could be any or all of the above.
If I were you, I wouldn't try squirting liquid into her mouth - it's possible that she could choke on it apart from anything else.
As well as a sippy/open cup, have you thought about a straw cup?  Some LOs get on well with them.
*** Amanda ***