Author Topic: 16 month old won't bite anything.  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Cluckylollie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 04, 2013, 00:18:18 am »
My DS is 16 months old and over the last two months won't bite anything. Even soft things like sandwiches and soft fruit. I have to break everything up. He won't even touch anything wet or dirty.
He has his first set of molars and doesn't seem to be in pain.
He also won't eat meat and veg on their own anymore. There has to be some sort of sauce. For example he loves spaghetti bolonaise, stews etc but I have to feed them to him because he doesn't like his hands to get dirty.
Is this just behavioural?

Owen Patrick-spirited/grumpy 6 year old
Audrey June-angel/textbook 4 year old
Claire Susannah-spirited/grumpy 3 year old
Violet Mary-touchy/textbook 16 month old

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: 16 month old won't bite anything.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 16:25:12 pm »
Hmm.  Probably best to talk to a health professional like a health visitor if you're in the UK but from a non medical standpoint I'd be tempted to not make a big deal out of it.  I know some kids around this age get funny about texture, about things touching on a plate etc.  It's like they turn into OCD types overnight.  My son cried when a biscuit was handed to him the other day because it broke!  He then refused the biscuit!  Madness.

I think I'd probably go with the self feeding and sauce but also offer other things if that makes sense?  Like plain veg that he can chose to eat or not.  If you stop offering then he definitely won't eat it but if you do there's a chance he will.  I'd love to see other peoples ideas though?  I've been pretty lucky with my son and eating but he has his moments on other things!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 21:03:38 pm »
I don't have any btdt advice either but my non-medical instinct would be to continue as you are and follow his lead, without showing him any concern. It may just be a phase which passes and then if you've been showing calm throughout he may just pick up eating again.

If you are worried though, is there a health professional you can check his more specific symptoms with? Even if it's just to put your mind at ease. ((Hugs))
~ Naomi ~

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 21:24:38 pm »
Don't know about the biting (second year molars can be painful for a long long time though), I do know that if my DS can get away with not biting then he does, he would rather stuff an entire massive piece of something in his mouth than bite it although he doesn't have total biting refusal and will eat sandwiches in the regular way.
Do you give him a knife and fork?  I used to cook veg etc chunky for DS so he could pick up as finger food and self feed, then we moved on to me helping him stab and chop with his own cutlery (hand over hand).  Several benefits to this, new tools/skill acquisition can motivate a toddler to have a go (like a new toy or any new development, they really want to learn); the pieces are then bite sized so biting isn't such a problem, hands stay cleaner so they can be happier. We have the stainless steel kids knife a fork which looks just like regular adult cutlery but shorter for easier handling.

DS also hates his hands being dirty but will still get carried away when eating or painting quite happily then suddenly demand to be washed (about 20 times per meal!).  I keep a wash cloth at the table to accommodate his needs although it can be a little tiring.

The need for sauce.  Here we have a need for dip.  If there is no sauce or gravy I generally have to provide something to dip into (I admit I get lazy and just squirt a teaspoon of ketchup or mayo on his plate), I can use mint sauce, apple or cranberry sauce, cream cheese, salad dressing, even just use lemon juice, anything really.  If I don't give him anything to dip into he'll ask for some or sometimes will pour some milk or water from his cup onto the plate to dip into!  I don't let it dictate what I cook, I just let him have his dips whether they 'go' with the food or not.

Offline Cluckylollie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 23:49:34 pm »
Thank you for the replies.
He always has cutlery and I always offer the meal as we have it. He will not even try to use them until near the end of his meal. I always have to feed him to start with. He eats a very large amount and always seems hungry. He will cry if I don't cut everything up.
I'll try again with his sandwich today. The thing is up until he was maybe 14 months old he would eat anything and everything.
I'll wait it out awhile longer before I take him to the dr. We gave his 18 month check up soon too so I'll ask about it then.

Owen Patrick-spirited/grumpy 6 year old
Audrey June-angel/textbook 4 year old
Claire Susannah-spirited/grumpy 3 year old
Violet Mary-touchy/textbook 16 month old