Author Topic: Question about formula amounts for 8 week old  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Midgetgem

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Question about formula amounts for 8 week old
« on: April 04, 2013, 06:48:57 am »
Hi just wondered how much your lo's ate formula wise at each feed when they were 8 weeks old.

My lo is having 5-6oz each feed - feeding at 7, 10, 1, 4, 6.30 and then df around 11pm.
So total 30-36oz a day. Then at night he is having 4oz around 3am but waking at 6am wanting to feed again which I try to put off until 7 or do split feed

We have just this week started giving the extra oz in his bottle which sometimes be will take but sometimes not. We increased as haven't increased for a few weeks and he weighs about 12lb so if meant to have 3oz for every lb he weighs that would be 36oz. We tried increasing as he went back to wanting to be fed twice in the night.

My question is if the average for a 12lb baby is 36oz a day - is that including a night feed? Or should we be eliminating the night feed now that we have increased the day feeds?

Bit confused but don't want to over feed baby.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: Question about formula amounts for 8 week old
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:41:30 am »
Averages and just that and it seems your LO is doing fine. You include all feeds in a 24 hour period in your total.

Your feeding schedule looks totally appropriate for 8 weeks so I would keep going as you are. The general rule is if the bottle is being drained then you add an oz which you have done.  1-2 night feeds is totally fine for 8 weeks.