Author Topic: Silly question about hair...  (Read 4006 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Silly question about hair...
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:54:52 am »
Uh, this seems like a really silly question.

As you can see from my profile pic, Audrey has a lot of hair. It's long and thick. I can JUST ABOUT trim her fringe/ bangs in the bath if she is distracted. I don't *really* want to get all the rest of her hair cut, but maybe I have to...

She won't let me tie it in bunches/pigtails, she just starts crying and then as soon as they're in she pulls them out. Occasionally I can put them in if she's distracted - or eating something delicious - but it's not guaranteed. Once the pigtails are in we're golden because she has thick hair and they stay in place (not like that fine baby soft hair where bobbles just slide right out). But leaving it down isn't working, her hair is stuck to her face with food/snot/drool, it gets full of food, and then we get another set of tears about brushing it out when it's full of honey/porridge/whatever.

Should I just get it cut short until she's old enough to want/let me do a 'style' in her hair (I am really hot a stylist, we are talking about two little pigtails here just to keep her hair out of her face)? Any tips for persuading little ones to let mama mess with their hair? We're at the stage now where she starts fussing as soon as I stroke her hair cuz she thinks I'm going to do something 'mean'.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Silly question about hair...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:58:50 am »
if you let her choose some hair bands/clips in a shop, would that help get her on board with having her hair 'up'? 

I find that sitting L in front of a mirror (floor length) can help while I do hers, or giving her another brush and a soft toy so she can do that one at the same time.

Or is A still a bit young for these ideas...???
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 12:02:36 pm »
is it longer than in the picture now? the cute bob is very sweet- but does that still get all stuck in the snot and dirt? (what is it with toddlers and snot!?!?)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:06:03 pm »
Think she's still young for choosing clips, she's not even 18 months yet. We have a zillion hair bobbles and clips, she likes to sort through them, even hands me ones, but starts to shriek and wriggle if I go towards her hair with them. We don't really have a mirror suitable - the ones she can see in, she needs to be standing up which is easier for running away! I'll try and figure out a way to do that though. She LOVES looking at herself once her hair is done - she stands in front of the mirror saying 'Hi!' to the little girl with the pretty hair for 10 minutes.

Katy that pic is recent but her hair is maybe a bit longer than it looks in the pic. It's almost grazing the tops of her shoulders. It's still in a bob shape but even as a jaw-length bob I find the front sections got stuck to her cheeks/nose. Maybe I need to take her to a kids hairdresser. When she was younger I could trim the back of her hair too but now she is so wiggly, I'm trying to cut and she's spinning round trying to grab the scissors... even with Teletubbies on Granny's iPad, it's really beyond my haircutting skillz.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 12:09:17 pm »
She LOVES looking at herself once her hair is done - she stands in front of the mirror saying 'Hi!' to the little girl with the pretty hair for 10 minutes.
Aw - that is so sweet!

L has a little toddler chair she sits on (sometimes) in front of the mirror while I do her hair.  Other times, she just sits on the floor. I agree, she def wouldn't stay still for it if she was standing!
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 12:11:10 pm »
She has a little mirror off a baby gym, maybe I'll try getting her to hold it and look in it while I do her hair.

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 12:11:26 pm »
I didn't cut Leorah's fringe so she was really happy to have her hair out of her face, maybe if you let it grow and be annoying...I know, no guarantee  :P I have to say I love a bob on little girls with straight hair, so cute and 60s  :D Probably not so sweet when crunchy with snot and food though  :P
Katt

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 12:12:39 pm »
I love her bob too... though you can see from the pic she nearly needs her fringe cut again. Our neighbour says she looks like a little Lego baby with snap on hair ;D

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 12:13:12 pm »
Yeh I sit dd in fromt of the tv in between my legs on the sofa. I used to give her a long haired teddy with her own hairbrush which would distract her for a bit too. She was almost impossible a couple of months ago but now sits patiently (once I can get her there that is...). I also use a spray leave in conditioner and a tangle teaser so the while process is as quick as possible.

Eta yeh as Katt says I think she has worked out that it is more comfy not to have her hair plastered to her face and neck with snot/sweat/food etc ::)

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 12:13:27 pm »
I love her bob too... though you can see from the pic she nearly needs her fringe cut again. Our neighbour says she looks like a little Lego baby with snap on hair ;D
Lol!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 12:29:59 pm »
Snap on hair!! Lol- i can see the similarities!! Funny though- if it was snap on hair it wouldn't go into the snot!!

It's tricky- if it was curly i would say to cut it- but being straight and thick you are probably better to have it a bit longer... she might look like a boy with it too short?

The other option is to grow it longer. With a bob the end of the hair is right at 'snot sticking' level- also right where it could go in the mouth, or get stuck on food... if it was longer you might be able to put it up easier?

I tried to look on pinterest about it- but there were just these CRAZY complicated hairdos on these tiny little girls! They must have drugged them first!! http://pinterest.com/pin/103442122662505562/

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline greenlady

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 12:40:59 pm »
She looks so sweet it would be a shame to cut it - I think the snot look is coming back.  I used to let my LO "do" my hair first then I could do hers.  But - bit of advice, get used to the hair rows - as they get older the rows only get worse:)

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 13:40:26 pm »
We just rode out the snotty mess phase.... She wouldn't have it done until she was about 2.5  ::). But since she was always happy to drown herself in the bath it all got rinsed out at the end of the day  ;). I didn't really see another option as she wouldn't let me cut it either. Trying that was 'fling on floor and howl' territory.

One thing that really helps is a super soft brush. Almost too soft to work iyswim? They are just too young to cope with it all I think. Tangle teezer type things help as well. Obviously they still sqwark and run off but at least you can do a decent enough brush whilst chasing, and within a few strokes.

Megan will allow certain people to do fancy hair on her - but not me! My hairdresser and my sister. I think the link is that she trusts people with long hair only  :P.

Her hair is almost to the middle of her back now, no fringe, and very easy to look after. She was born with a ton of hair as well.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 13:54:02 pm »
I am wondering what to do with DD's as well, though I can get clips in her hair to keep it out of her eyes (she has started pulling them out though :P).  It's long enough to be tied but too slippery to hold the elastics.  I'm too afraid to cut it as she won't sit still!

What about a headband to keep hair back/covered while she is eating?  Or is that a no-go as well?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 13:55:54 pm »
My girls both have tons of hair too, with dd1 I had no choice but to cut her fringe/the front of her hair as she point blank refused to wear a clip until she was about 2.5yo, when she finally did I was able to grow her fringe out which I'm so pleased about as it suits her way better. Dd2 needed a hair clip at 8wo as her hair was already down to her eyes by that age  :o So thankfully she's always been used to hair clips, and as her hair is dead straight (dd1's is curly) it's never been such a chore. She still hates me tying it back though ::)
Girl's hair is the bane of my life!! Yes it's beautiful and how amazing she looked like rapunzel before she turned 1, but it's hard work too!! Never thought when I married a hairy Greek man I'd be worrying about styling baby hair ;) ;D
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 14:03:12 pm »
Lol charli!  Dd's hair is way too fine to hold a clip in so when (if) the weather is not roasting and I don't need to tie the whole lot back I sometimes use an elastic in place of a clip.. So she ends up with a sort of vertical ponytail just above her forehead. Which now sounds ridiculous but it is kinda cute (well in my very biased opinion...)

binxyboo

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 15:38:09 pm »
OMG Lego baby. That is hilarious!!!! I adore her hair. Don't you dare touch it. That's all the advise I have lol.

But seriously, I have been meaning to pm you to say how adorable that pic is, never thought of the practical side of dealing with all that hair with a toddler. Good luck finding a solution!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 16:34:58 pm »
Honestly, we chopped Masyn's hair off into a cute pixie cut at that age...she still has it short most of the time as she can hardly stand to have me brush it let alone put it up.  Thankfully Spencer will at least do elastics (but no barrettes/clips/headbands) so her hair is long as she will only see one stylist who keeps having kids and going on mat leave!
Heidi

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 16:49:48 pm »
My friend's dd has really silky, slippery hair and she uses real elastics in colours,they are hard to pull out and at the end of teh day she just snips them off with scissors so they don't damage the hair. I don't think this works with curly hair though, L's hair would get knotted around elastic and it would be a huge drama!
Katt

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 18:53:18 pm »
and meanwhile I am just super jealous and waiting for Martha's hair to grow. Nearly 2 and still not much hair!! I dream of hair clips!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!