Author Topic: Good bottle/nipple for 4 week old making loud sucking noises when eating?  (Read 11876 times)

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
I have been doing a combination of breastfeeding and bottle feeding and am going to be moving to just bottle feeding. When DS2 drinks from a bottle, he often makes loud sucking noises and I believe his mouth isn't totally closing over the nipple, so he's taking in air on the sides since there is a gap.  I started out using the Dr. Brown's bottles, which are the best of all that I've tried, but DS is still extremely gassy and I think it's from all of the air he is taking in.  I have also tried the Breastflow bottle, the Playtex Ventaire, and the Avent Natural Flow.  Even the nipples that are supposed to be shaped more like a breast nipple don't make a difference and actually seem to be worse for him. 

He has a very strong suck so I am not sure if that has something to do with it and if I need another level nipple? I have read online that some people start their LOs with Level 2 if this happens, but I fear that is too fast.  We are using Level 1s. 

Has this happened to anyone, and what bottle/nipple did you use to help?

Thank you SO much!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
Hi Nicole! We are using the same bottles we used with dd1.  Its from Evenflow and they are called the "Comfi" I think.  They only have 3 pieces and they were supposed to help with gas.  With dd1 nothing helped and we tried every bottle under the sun and she still had gas and she still leaked out the sides so we went with the one that she leaked the least with and that had the least amount of parts to put together and wash lol.  DD2 is using the same bottles and leaks just like her sister did but doesn't have the gas issues or reflux issues (atleast not yet)

http://www.evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=227

This is what we are using now.  They have 3 different nipple flows and we are using the one for 0-3months.  We are strictly bottle (I express and then top up with formula) but she seems to prefer the formula to the breast milk (go figure)  Which formula are you using maybe it doesn't agree with his tummy?  We had to switch dd1 a couple of times before we found one that didn't upset her tummy as much.  Also we use to put gas drops in each of dd1's bottles which helped.  We have some on hand for dd2 and have given them when we she seems in pain and they help alot.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Hi nicole- generally the ones that are shaped like 'breasts' are anything but!! When babies actually suck on the breast the nipple elongates right out and actually looks more like one of the narrow based nipples! If you are having trouble try something with a narrow bottom. We quite like the pigeon peristaltic teat as it's actually very similar to the nipple. Avoid Avent as much as you can as that's the LEAST like what a nipple actually looks like!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
If you are going to switch to bottle feeding exclusively, I wouldn't worry about what nipple looks like a boob - find one that works for LO ;)

As for trying the level 2 - only way to know is to try it!

Offline flutie

• Showing Appreciation 10
We switched to Dr. Brown standard bottles and it made all the difference.
Lisa
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BM - Thanks - I'll check those bottles out! We were on Gerber Goodstart Gentle, but are now on Gerber Soothe.  We went to the ped on Friday because DS is having a hard time with bowel movements and gas. 

Katy - Thanks! Yes - of all of the ones we've tried I hate the Avent!

Kara - Thanks- I had just figured since he had a good latch on the breast that it made sense to try to replicate it with a bottle.

Lisa - We used these with DS1 and they were great -- so far they have been the best of all of the ones we've tried for DS2, but he still sucks in a lot of air.

I am going to start another post in Colic, Reflux, and Crying because I think this is where we are headed :( To me, there are digestive issues going on with DS2, not just the issue with the bottle.  Ped tells me it is all normal -sigh.  Same as I was told with DS1 who ultimately was diagnosed with reflux and food intolerances ... :(
--Nicole

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
Ugh... do you think MSPI?

Kara - I think there is a chance it is MPI or MSPI.  Max's ped says it's a possibility, but isn't ready to start him on a hypoallergenic formula yet.  We did start Zantac yesterday :( because he's been diagnosed with reflux.  I still think MPI/MSPI is a possible because he has incredibly bad gas.  However, his bowel movements are normal looking - no blood or mucous, so that is why the ped doesn't think it's a true milk allergy.  With that said, my DS1 was diagnosed with food intolerances (at age two) but not food allergies (however, not all doctors believe there is a difference), so I would think it would be possible that DS2 has an intolerance to milk protein, but not necessarily an allergy iykwim since his poop is normal and he doesn't have eczema, rashes etc.

I hope that the Zantac helps (it did with DS1), but I have a feeling we may need to switch formula again. 

Thanks!
--Nicole

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
Hi Nicole... if you think it might be MPI/MSPI, why not grab the formula on your own and give it a try?  There is a good bit of overlap between MPI and reflux... and there are a portion of babies treated for reflux when MPI is the real issue.

Personally, I would try the hypo formula first before trying Zantac...

Kara - I didn't update here, I updated on the other thread I had going! On Sunday, I decided that I didn't care what the ped said and I was just going to try the hypo formula.  Well, as we were getting ready to go out to buy the formula, Max had a dirty diaper.  When I changed it, I noticed there was a little blood in it.  That happened twice that day.  Even though I knew what it was from (MPI/MSPI) I called the ped just in case they were going to say they needed to see him.  They didn't, but advised me to put him on Alimentum, which I had already gotten at that point.  I think things are a little better, but  understand that it can take 2 weeks to see the full effects because the milk protein can stay in their little bodies for that long.  I guess the good news is that my mommy gut was right, but I feel so sad for him anyway :(
--Nicole

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
I guess the good news is that my mommy gut was right, but I feel so sad for him anyway :(

Hugs hun... mommy knows best ;) 

I know you feel bad, but at least you caught it early and can get him on the right track quickly!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Is he still having trouble with the nipple? Losing any out the side? Any change with a different teat? Great news on the hypo formula!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Thanks, ladies.  We are still having problems with the nipple -- I think we've tried every bottle on the market.  The best of all of them is the Dr. Brown's, but he still makes the noise. He sometimes loses milk out of the side of his mouth. 

I have a new thread going that kind of consolidates our many issues!!

Re: Spam in GS-catysopqaex
--Nicole

Offline herbsgirl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My daughter had much problems losing milk out the sides of her mouth after trying 6 or 7 bottles the best bottle is Soothie by first years. They have new ones on ebay otherwise you cant buy them in stores.  Now my daughter does not spill as much milk out the sides of her mouth. It took her a week or two to start doing good with it though, give it time

ALso  you can get new nipples on ebay or amazon. My daugter gets along best with medium flow stage 2 nipples she is 7 weeks, and also I taught her to suck better with these bottles by using the Gumdrop pacifier from first years, it is shaped very similar to soothie. So if I put the pacifier in, she sucks hard on that, then stick the Soothie bottle in, she gets a better latch!
It works!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=soothie+bottles&_sacat=0&_from=R40

The Nicu uses pacifiers similar to these to teach babys to suck, this has helped my daughter suck better

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-GumDrop-Newborn-Pacifier/dp/B004GY8A58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366747426&sr=8-1&keywords=gumdrop

Other recomendations:

I also use Reuteri Probiotic powder, she has colic and possilbe reflux issues. This Probiotic is proven with Reflux and Colic in clinical trials. I use 1 to 1 1/2 tsp per day in her bottle. I use Natures Way brand. You cant heat bottles over 100 degrees when you put this in though...

http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Primadophilus-Reuteri-Superior-Probiotic-5-oz-141-75-g/4676

Also, I use Bubble-b-gone and Infant Tummy aid, you only have to use 5 drops per time in babys mouth. They help her relax and help her tummy issues,

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Answer-Bubble-B-Gone-1-Ounces/dp/B0014ATONY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366747043&sr=8-1&keywords=bubble+b+gone

http://www.mountainmeadowherbs.com/Infant_Tummy_Aid_p/i2010.htm

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 20:04:27 pm by herbsgirl »

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
(((Hugs))) Nicole.  We switched bottles last week because DD2 just wasn't doing well with the ventaire bottles, which worked amazing for DD1...  We are using Tommee Tippee bottles now and it's helped because she can get a good seal all around instead of trying to seal around a small nipple...but every babe is different right?  Hopefully things get better

Xoxox  :-*

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
Just have to mention that you should check with your doctor before starting baby on anything like probiotics/gas drops etc.  Best to leave these as a last resort and see if we can't get things sorted without adding more to that wee body if not needed.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!