Author Topic: 9.5mos, 4-6 NWings x night  (Read 7451 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: 9.5mos, 4-6 NWings x night
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 18:54:27 pm »
That is what Meg was like with canines. They weren't fast either, but nothing like these ones have been. Well whenever they all come in you should get a 2-3 mth break to decide if there is anything else you can do  :-\.

Only thing that helps with Megan is ibuprofen at bedtime, paracetamol does nothing, and she won't have it in the night anyway.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 19:03:10 pm »
Yeah DS1 was like this with canines.  It was 6 weeks of he** (however no issues with molars).  I suspect DD will be the same.  :P

I have tried ibuprofen with no luck but haven't tried Tylenol.  I always found ibuprofen more effective with the boys.  I keep thinking I should try Tylenol anyway just to see if it makes a difference but never remember to buy any.

I have been telling myself for months that when we get a break for teething I can focus on getting back on track, and I suppose that still is the case, but it is wearing me down quite a bit.  Night after night like this, no break in sight, still more teeth to come.  :(
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 19:05:01 pm »
Ugh teeth :(. Sorry things are so rough for you at the moment.  Lots of (((hugs))) and here to support even if I can't help make things easier for you x

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 19:07:02 pm »
Thanks Katherine :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 19:10:45 pm »
I have been telling myself for months that when we get a break for teething I can focus on getting back on track, and I suppose that still is the case, but it is wearing me down quite a bit.  Night after night like this, no break in sight, still more teeth to come.  :(
Yes, you will... but it seems like forever while you're in it.  I wondered if it would ever end!  We did have a nice 2mo break before molars started and funnily enough after the time I spent doing PD to get rid of my prop, molars and canines weren't all that bad. :P  More (((hugs)))!

Offline enna77

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 21:32:40 pm »
Just dropping in some hugs Em, teething sure does suck, and then I have friends that are like 'oh one just popped up I didn't even realise!' ::) Jealous much?!  DD1 was a horrible teether, DD2 certainly has her moments we have the big red lumps like you describe but no teeth. Do you have the amber teething beads? not sure if they work but my theory is can't hurt to try, DD2 wears hers 24/7 including bathing etc. Also have you tried elevating the mattress? I've got a rolled up towel under the top of her cot mattress just to elevate this a bit as I was told having them lie completely flat can make the throbbing worse......just throwing some ideas out there! you do so well on the amount of sleep you get you're always so positive, I would be a blubbering mess!  :-*
Enna

DD1 Oct 07
DD2 Sept 12

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 01:51:27 am »
I have friends that are like 'oh one just popped up I didn't even realise!'  Jealous much?!
Well I guess my DS2 was like this so maybe DD is payback?  :P

I do have a teething necklace but didn't think it was safe to wear when sleeping?  I haven't been putting it on her because she doesn't need it during the day.  Also she is a tummy sleeper, so not sure elevating the mattress would work.

you do so well on the amount of sleep you get you're always so positive, I would be a blubbering mess! 
Thanks :)  I actually do do well considering how little sleep I get, which is surprising.  I really struggled with the sleep deprivation when DS2 was a baby.  I think I just have good support and help from DH, he keeps me sane (relatively sane anyway :P)

Things are just so horrible.  :(  A few nights ago we were only getting 3 NWings, but with that came EWs (yesterday morning was 5:15).  But then last night back to 4 or 5 NWings, I don't even know how many, and a 6:40am wakeup.  Plus she is waking earlier and earlier in the evening, tonight it was just after 9.  And there is no rhyme or reason to anything.  Sometimes I can settle her easily, other times she is like a screaming banshee.  Then I get into the issue of trying not to feed her but then caving because I don't have the stamina, and I hate that even more than I hate just feeding her right off the bat. :(  Tonight I did settle her though, took about 20 minutes.  Definitely teeth as she would try and settle, but I could hear her making 'chewing' noises, and then she'd yawn and set herself off again, or she'd keep trying to rub her mouth on my shoulder.  It's so tough.  These teeth take so long.  Still waiting on the other top lateral incisor that has been swollen for weeks now.  Seriously I can SEE the tooth right there and yet it is not cutting.  Plus the bottoms are starting to swell too, and at this rate they will take months before they are in.  Really, I thought she'd have all first 8 by 10 months and that is not likely at this point.

Sorry, just venting because I'm frustrated!  :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 03:18:16 am »
(((hugs))) -- I think I've heard some ladies talk about putting the amber around their ankles -- maybe they're sold that way?  We never tried it, so I don't know.  ???

Offline enna77

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 03:34:20 am »
the way the amber works is from heat from the body so taking it on off, just means it has to 'get warmed up' again. Ours are designed to break should it become entangled and are individually knotted so that if it does happen to break it will stay in one piece. I'm comfortable with her wearing it at night given this is when teething is usually most bothersome, but each to their own  :) Its a bit like how the lovey I bought her says 'remove while sleeping' its like ummmm does that not defeat the purpose of a lovey?!  ::)
Enna

DD1 Oct 07
DD2 Sept 12

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 14:04:06 pm »
I think I've heard some ladies talk about putting the amber around their ankles -- maybe they're sold that way?
I've actually seen anklets sold and wondered about getting one, but I opted for the necklace instead for a bigger surface area.  I could try putting it on her ankle for bed.
the way the amber works is from heat from the body so taking it on off, just means it has to 'get warmed up' again. Ours are designed to break should it become entangled and are individually knotted so that if it does happen to break it will stay in one piece.
Yep, I know how they work.  ;)  Mine is designed the same way, I still feel so uneasy about having it on all night (I have left it on for naps before).  I just have an overactive imagination and it doesn't really make me comfortable.

Last night was....better?  I don't know.  I consider anything a little different to be better, but really it's all bad.  NWing at 9pm, settled without a feed.  Then slept until 1am (cried around 10:30 briefly), so that itself was an improvement because she went from bedtime to 1am without a feed.  Then up at 3, then 4:40 (fed both times, I always think I won't but in the motn haze I always do :().  Then cried out around 5:30 again I think but settled herself, and slept until 7.  So a few good points there however no matter how you look at it that was still a ridiculous amount of NWings.   :-\
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 14:13:33 pm »
Maybe you girls can help me figure out what to do.  We finally have tooth number 6 through so things are *slightly* better, and by slightly I mean still 4-5 NWings with only three of those being NFs, plus she is settling herself much of the time for the first NWing and is not EWing as much (still a pretty sad state isn't it).  The next two bottom teeth are swollen.  That means they could be cutting in a week, or judging by how slow this girl teeths they could be several weeks maybe even a month away from doing anything.  So, do I do something now?  I'm tired of the NWings, but I do not think they are going to go away until I do something about the NFs.  During the day when I'm awake I feel totally ready to do something about it, but in the middle of the night when all I can think about is getting back to bed, and I lose all resolve.  I also don't think I am ready to go cold turkey, I'd rather tackle them one at a time.  I just don't know if there is any point doing it yet or until the next two teeth are in.  When she wakes up, I never know which baby I'm dealing with, the one who will settle easily or the one who will scream murder until I feed her, and that has been discouraging me from resettling without a feed in the middle of the night because I don't want to deal with Miss Screamy-pants waking up the whole house. 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 17:42:33 pm »
Are her days solid?  Do you think it's the kind of thing where a tweak might help them a little bit?  Which teeth are we talking about?  The ones next to the two fronts? 

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 17:48:52 pm »
We've always had really good days so I'm not really prepared to change them tbh.  I also don't think a routine tweak would change anything about the NWings (hope you trust me on that one!  I don't believe in obsessive tweaking, and I also have to take the whole family's routine into consideration so her's is kind of shaped around the rest of us iykwim).  Next teeth are the bottom lateral incisors.  After that she will have the first 8 and I'm hoping for a break before any molars start.  I was originally planning on waiting for that break before doing anything drastic, but because it takes so long for the teeth to come in I'm thinking I might have a small window right now before things get really bad again.  I don't know though. 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 18:41:21 pm »
I think it depends on what you're most comfortable with and your level of determination.  If you don't think you'll be up to it in the MOTN, then I wouldn't bother. 

We had a break in teething from 10-12mo and I was able to drop all the NFs (anywhere from 1-3) except the early morning one without issue, because I knew he wasn't struggling with teeth and I stuck it out (literally took one or two nights).  I kept the early morning one mainly because it was summer and we travel several weekends here and there, and I was always using it then, so just continued at home.  But, by the time we came back from the last trip, I was determined to get rid of the early morning one as well.  Turns out that was right at 12mo and I tried for 4 days (almost 2hr every morning of trying to resettle) until I just gave up and kept feeding, because I knew with those molars coming in I didn't have the heart or determination to push through.

So, I think even if it's a small break between these teeth and the next, you can probably make good headway, as she's an independent sleeper in all other aspects.  But, I guess the problem is if you don't get that break. :-\ 

Not sure that's helpful at all, but was our experience and I would probably do things similarly again.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 18:59:00 pm »
Katie, that's very helpful!  It's nice to hear someone say that if I'm not up for it maybe not to do it yet.  I always feel like the answer will be to suck it up and do it already.  :P

The truth is I don't know if I'm ready.   :-\  I feel stuck in limbo, like I can't go on like this but I can't do anything different either.  The other thing is in about a month's time DH's work is going to get busy and he will be around less to help, so I feel like I should tackle it now while he is still around for a bit in the mornings to get up with DD after really bad nights and to help make breakfast for the boys. 

But I'm also so chicken to go through with it.  You'd think that I would know from experience that it's really not that bad, but I still don't want to deal with the crying.  ::)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010