Author Topic: 9.5mos, 4-6 NWings x night  (Read 7672 times)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 9.5mos, 4-6 NWings x night
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 02:08:46 am »
If your daytime routine works for you, stick with it.  I think by the time you get to the third, you're pretty much over the constant tweaking (and like you said, who has time to do it when you're juggling the needs of 2 others?) -- and ITA with Katie too -- it's only a problem if you see it as such -- if trying to get rid of the NWings right now is harder than dealing with them, then just deal with them for now.  I found our NWings got dramatically better as we got towards the year mark -- at 11 months, James was sleeping through (with not a whole lot of intervention from me) fairly consistently where a few months prior, we were still dealing with a df, a nf, and probably another waking in there as well. 

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 02:31:11 am »
Em I'm just reading this and thinking (((((((hugs)))))))) and btdt with Z and now likely T too! ::)
Fwiw she sounds like Z, and if I remember rightly liz Z was a little like J :-\ ? For us it's always discomfort or loss of comfort of some kind. It's just a pita that there is always SoMeTHINg YK? Teeth, constipation, teeth, reflux, lost paci, teeth, head stuck in corner of cot, teeth ... But as Katie said we also had a break at 10-12 mths and that is when STTN started to happen a lot more, it's also when we went to 1 nap.

:-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 02:52:12 am »
Yeah, it's hard when there are so many factors.  My guess is though, you're right... it won't be as bad as we can sometimes make it out to be (although the crying is never fun) when other things aren't bothering her.  You said she was sleeping really pretty well before she started teething, so there's nothing to say she won't when she's not.  And since you are sometimes resettling without a feed, it's not like she only knows FTS, yk.  I think that's why it was easy with G, I'd settled him other ways than feeding, even though I was still feeding at other NWs. 

I don't want to sound like I'm talking you out of working on it right now. :-[  If you feel you should, esp as DH is around more, than for sure I think you can go for it.  But, if you're not ready, then I wouldn't sweat it.  (((Hugs)))

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 03:03:19 am »
Hun I thing I just remembered with as is that we just worked on 1 NW at a time sometimes. Ie the earlier in the night it was the easier the resettle. So we would try to not feed at that one YK? (Or I'd get DH to do shh/pat) I know for some it's 'confusing' but tbh it worked well for Z and meant we never had any true props. Also if she can settle at BT and naps then I think she knows how to sleep, she just may need help still in some areas, or with discomfort as you say. :-*
***Sara***

Offline enna77

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 09:36:30 am »
And FWIW I've just BTDT with night feed weaning with an 7mo and its not necessarily the magic bullet we all hope that it is YK? The grass always seems greener but sometimes it ain't that green lol. We haven't fed at all at night for 3 weeks but we still get NWings. To be fair we have also had 4 STTN since no NFing (which were our only 4) but we have also still had some horrendous nights with teeth or who knows what else!

I was actually happy to just have 1 Nfeed and stick with that, but like Sara says I first worked on stretching the first one until 2am then after nearly 2 weeks of that when she woke at 4am I thought what they hey I'll just see what happens, a quick 5 min resettle and she went back to sleep and I haven't fed at night since. But I just knew in my heart she didn't need them she was just 'used' to them, after a few failed attempts one day I just felt ready to tackle it. And I think you're absolutely right, you have to feel ready and be in place where you want to give it a crack, not just feel like 'you should' YK otherwise theres just no point, everyones situation and what works best for them and their family is different.   

Overall it is definitely better and I don't regret it as we went from having around 3-4 wakings of which I would feed for 2, to having some of our first ever STTN, BUT there was also no 3-5 day magic habit breaker to consistent STTN either, at least not for us!  shes a bit spirited just my luck  ::)
Enna

DD1 Oct 07
DD2 Sept 12

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 13:12:33 pm »
if trying to get rid of the NWings right now is harder than dealing with them, then just deal with them for now.
That's the thing, I don't know what is the bigger problem, dealing with the crazy NWings, or having to do something about them!  :P 
I found our NWings got dramatically better as we got towards the year mark
But as Katie said we also had a break at 10-12 mths and that is when STTN started to happen a lot more, it's also when we went to 1 nap.
Yes, I know from past experience as well that things improved with both my boys closer to one year.  DS1 started sttn consistently at 9 mos, and DS2 didn't sttn until 16 mos however he was down to only 1 NW/NF before a year.  So you would think that I already know all this from experience.  ::)
You said she was sleeping really pretty well before she started teething, so there's nothing to say she won't when she's not.
It's true, however it's been SO long since she slept well, that she is pretty much a different baby now, kwim?  DD now at almost 10 mos is not the same as DD at 6 mos, so in that respect it's almost like starting over.  :(
I don't want to sound like I'm talking you out of working on it right now.
Not at all!  I appreciate you reminding me that I have to do it when I'm ready!
I just remembered with as is that we just worked on 1 NW at a time sometimes. Ie the earlier in the night it was the easier the resettle. So we would try to not feed at that one YK? (O
Yes this is pretty much my plan.  It's what I did with DS2 as well, tackled 1 NF at a time.  I don't have the stamina to go all night without feeding.
And FWIW I've just BTDT with night feed weaning with an 7mo and its not necessarily the magic bullet we all hope that it is YK?
True, I don't think I'm hoping for a magic sttn cure though.  I just think that 4-6 NWings a night is excessive and I really want to reduce them to 2-3!

With all that said I talked to DH last night about a plan for tackling this and he agrees that we should try it soon while he can help, and he will be very supportive.  He has even offered to settle at night but TBH I much prefer to do it because I always have and so she is used to me, and also I just can't lie in bed listening to her cry while he tries, it just aggrevates me.  So he will help by getting up with the kids and letting me sleep in a bit.  I honestly don't think it will take too long for things to improve.

Anyways, we had planned to start on Wednesday night but last night I decided not to feed her before 12, because she has been going until 12-1 without a feed (even though she's been waking once or twice before then) so I don't feel like going backwards by feeding her.  She woke around 9:20 as usual (I was out at my friends but DH said she settled herself, which she does about 50% of the time).  Then she woke at 11 and I patiently tried to resettle for 45 mins.  She wasn't crying the whole time, just not going back to sleep.  She definitely wanted to be fed.  Anyways, I needed a break as my back was hurting so after 45 mins I put her down and stepped out, and she settled herself in about 30 seconds.  ::)  She was awake again in another hour, at about 1am, at which point I fed her but I was ok with that because at the moment my whole goal is to just get her used to not needing a feed for that first 5 or 6 hour stretch.  So NF at 1am then she slept until almost 4am and I gave another NF, then she slept until 6:44.  This is actually a HUGE improvement because she wasn't up eating every 2 hrs between 1-6.  So last night ended up with 4 NWings but only 2 NFs, and not much of an EW.  That is good progress in my books.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline katie80

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 18:14:48 pm »
That is good progress in my books.  :)
For sure! :)  (((Hugs))) Em, so glad you have help from DH (although I am totally the same about taking control at NWs).  Hope it gets better and better for you!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2013, 18:35:04 pm »
That is good progress in my books.  :)
For sure! :)  (((Hugs))) Em, so glad you have help from DH (although I am totally the same about taking control at NWs).  Hope it gets better and better for you!
^^ I agree. Great progress.

Sometimes is 2 forward one back too...such is life but it's STILL progress :-*
***Sara***

Offline enna77

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 03:03:32 am »
Quote (selected)
I just think that 4-6 NWings a night is excessive
Agreed  :)

Quote (selected)
That is good progress in my books
Sounds like great progress Em! Well done. Its amazing when I look back pretty much my only response to her waking most of the time was to feed  ::) now just a few weeks later she doesn't even look for a boob even if I pick her up. Its amazing how quickly they can get used to things.

Good luck with night 2.
Enna

DD1 Oct 07
DD2 Sept 12

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 18:00:25 pm »
Last night was good again.  :)  The usual early stuff, cried out around 9 and woke at 10 but settled herself.  Then only 2 NFs at 11:45 and 4am, and she slept right until 7am. 

The only thing I'm worried about now is things improving and then falling apart again when she starts teething again, but I guess there's nothing I can do about that so I should just keep working on it and hope that the sleep will recover even after more teething.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline katie80

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 18:25:22 pm »
Woohoo, that's great! ;D

The only thing I'm worried about now is things improving and then falling apart again when she starts teething again, but I guess there's nothing I can do about that so I should just keep working on it and hope that the sleep will recover even after more teething.
And who knows... maybe without the feeds, she won't be as prone to wake up so it won't totally fall apart.  As for now, enjoy the extra sleep! ;)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2013, 18:40:11 pm »
Definite progress!  I think you just do what you can until the next round of teething -- it's not like teaching her to be better at self-settling is wasted time, yk?

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 00:36:20 am »
Just following along... my 7 month old DS is very similar to your LO... only he has no teeth to show for it. Hope things continue to get better and better!

Offline enna77

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 02:00:00 am »
Quote (selected)
As for now, enjoy the extra sleep!
Completely agree - its gotten way better so quickly already enjoy it while you can!
Enna

DD1 Oct 07
DD2 Sept 12

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 14:03:26 pm »
Last night not bad - 10pm woke but easy to settle, NF at 12:45 and 3am (I shouldn't have fed at both but ended up a zombie again! :P), then I heard her around 5 and 5:30 but I didn't have to get up, and she was up at 6:20. 

Now my next question is, should I try to keep pushing the first NF later and later, or feed around 1am but then try to skip the next one?  I think in the past I always tried to push the NF back until it disappeared and I only had an early morning one left (which disappeared on it's own).
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010