Author Topic: almost six months up all night.  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: almost six months up all night.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 17:12:45 pm »
I'd agree that she needs some good feeds, but at the same time wonder whether the longer you go on like that, the harder it might be to break the cycle, IYSWIM?  Given how reluctant she's been to latch on whilst awake, it might be an idea to offer frequently, with no pressure to do anything, but giving the opportunity as much as you can.

If you can, keeping the paci for sleep times only, too.
*** Amanda ***

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 17:28:13 pm »
And she has gained weight regularly since birth.there aren't any signs of reflux. She has probably only spit up maybe ten times since she was born. Probably less than that actually. And there are no signs of discomfort while she is awake. She is the happiest baby ever while awake. Barely ever fusses.

Just wanted to say that my DD has severe reflux and all this applies to her too - never spits up, gained weight well for the first six months, happy as a lark when she is awake.  She has got silent reflux which actually can cause more pain than with babies who sick up lots of milk.  I'm not necessarily saying it is reflux that your lo is struggling with, but the things that you have mentioned do not automatically discount it.  Discomfort when feeding/wanting to feed for a long time or latching on an off the breast can be a reflux sign.  As can be wet hiccups, discomfort at night, only wanting to feed when drowsy, baby being more comfortable sleeping upright than lay down, smelly breath (like adult sick), hiccupping and then swallowing/discomfort aferwards, arching their neck when feeding. 
Claire x

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 18:03:38 pm »
I'd agree that she needs some good feeds, but at the same time wonder whether the longer you go on like that, the harder it might be to break the cycle, IYSWIM?  Given how reluctant she's been to latch on whilst awake, it might be an idea to offer frequently, with no pressure to do anything, but giving the opportunity as much as you can.

If you can, keeping the paci for sleep times only, too.
I agree with all of this.  I'd probably take her away from the tv to feed during the day as well, as that is likely more distracting than it's worth. I'd mimic the more soothing nighttime feed environment, but keeping the light on and keeping her awake. Just give her the opportunity to keep feeding, no pressure and enjoy some cuddle time with her.

Claire has some really good points too. I think it's best to get the feeding/possible discomfort issues under control first and then we can keep looking at the sleep side of things. It's encouraging that she had a better night, though, maybe the solids were indeed causing her some trouble.  More (((hugs))), I can only imagine how tired you are.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 19:04:55 pm »
Hugs. I agree with erin and Claire. My second in particular only feeds well at night during a reflux flare up. But is SUCH a happy boy otherwise.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline bls.2008

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 21:42:30 pm »
I really do nog thinuk it is reflux. other than the feeding thing she doesnt have any other sigIns of it, unleess could it have just shown up all of a sudden? I have tried feeding her in quiet, it doesn't seem to make a difference but I will keep trying.  She only used the pacifier when falling asleep. I'm foing to keep trying to get her feeding better. Im not sure what IYSWIM means so I can't answer that.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 22:02:12 pm »
What about trying to feed a soon as she wakes from a nap, so she is still quite drowsy YK?

Hugs x
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline bls.2008

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 22:42:00 pm »
She doesn't wake up drowsy. She literally wakes up and is ready to go. But I have been getting her close to sleeping but not sleeping yet and it works sometimes. I've been thinking more about the reflux thing. She has spit up do many times today now. Seems like once I said she doesn't do it she starts. Could reflux just have started within the past month? Is that possible?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 01:40:15 am »
IYSWIM = if you see what I mean -- there's a list here of acronyms: Site Acronyms/Abbreviations - What they are, and what they mean.

There's general reflux information here: Reflux 101 - General reflux information -- and to be honest, I'm wondering more about the possibility of overactive let down, since you've been getting her to feed more awake -- someone posted a link earlier about that.  I think there are some solutions in that link -- laid back feeding, things like that. 

Offline bls.2008

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 02:13:20 am »
I think it is probably the fast let down as well. I had her down for sleep and she just woke to eat and spit up so much. We pretty much took a bath in it. We both had to change clothes. And now she just did again. My breasts were extremely full all day though, and maybe ahe was getting tio much formilk.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 07:51:41 am »
If she's been having a growth spurt and been feeding more, it could well be an over supply issue as well, especially given you're saying that you've been engorged ('full') all day.  That would certainly go some way to explaining why she's been a bit more sicky in the last 24h or so.

I think Bec posted the link to the BF FAQ on over supply before as well as the fast letdown one.
*** Amanda ***