Author Topic: 11month old starting nursery/day care with 1nap  (Read 914 times)

Offline kakacarmen

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
11month old starting nursery/day care with 1nap
« on: April 05, 2013, 09:43:04 am »
Hi,
DS is going to be 11month old in 10days, and shortly after that he will start going to nursery 2 days a week. I just found out the nursery has a 1nap routine for his age and nap time is at around 1200 ish and they say all babies will be woken up by 2pm for activities. I am very concerned as DS is still having 2 naps at the moment. His sleep times are normally like this:

WU 0600-0630
S 10-1030 for 1hr15-1hr30
S 1545- 1600 for 45mins (sometimes capped)
BT 1930-2000

I am not sure how DS is going to cope with 6hr + A time before his nap  ???
I spoke to one of the staff and she says babies do completely different thing while they are at home and nursery as the environment is different. I am not too convinced. DS is STTN (although we have problems with him waking early) and I don't wanna mess his routine up  :-\
Is anyone else's nursery does 1 nap as well? And how your LO are coping? Would appreciate if anyone could share their experience. :)
Thank you!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 11month old starting nursery/day care with 1nap
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:37:58 am »
Hey there,

My DD was nearly 13m when she started nursery and went into a room with a one nap routine for three days a week.  She was probably further on in the 2-1 than your LO (as in mainly on one nap), but it wasn't consistent.  For the first few times she was there, I found they would actually put her down early if they thought she wasn't going to make it to the set time, which surprised me.  And there are often LOs randomly asleep at other times.  But even if your nursery won't do that, the things I have found helped the most are (1) making sure the nursery know how to settle her and have her comfort blanket etc for familiarity, (2) asking them to try to resettle if the nap is short, and explain how you would do that, (3) early bed time on nursery days, and (4) trying as much as possible to let go of the idea that routines will stay the same with different carers (hard I know - I am still a stickler for nap and bedtimes when it's in my control!).  We have had some shocking days at nursery with sleep - as in a 25 min nap all day on at least three occasions, but I have stuck to our normal routine at home with early bedtimes as needed and it has worked out ok.  Given she's only there two days a week, I think you should be fine :). Just be prepared for some longer catch up naps on home days - a nice side effect!

The one thing I would do is insist that she is not woken from her nap, unless its absolutely necessary (as in they are actually going out for activities).  I think capping the nap if she manages to sleep that long is a bad idea in the 2-1 as OT accumulates quickly, and I don't think it's unreasonable that you request that.  Another thought would be to ask that she is one of the first to be taken for her nap.  Logistically they can't put them all down at exactly the same time, so I know in our case a set 11.30am nap is often closer to 11.45/12 - if she goes down first you might be able to keep the OT to the minimum possible.

Good luck, it really will be fine :)

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 14:59:36 pm »
Thanks for your advice and sharing your experience Jessmum, that relief some of my worries, I suppose the nursery have looked after so many babies, they know what they are doing but its nice to hear from a mum whose been thru this already! :)

Offline falcon6

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 20:42:58 pm »
Just to say I am in same dilemma (and have posted on naps board!). My lo is in crèche 4 days and they will follow her routine but only til she is 12 months (she's 10.5 months now). She has always been a great self-settler at home but is taking needing lots of soothing in crèche and only taking 40 min naps. They are keen to mover her to 1 nap now and feel she is ready (buy they have only known her 2 weeks!).
It's very tough letting go of control, isn't it?! So far I have asked that they stick to attempting 2 naps but I am beginning to think maybe I should trust them iykwim?? Good luck!