Author Topic: I need ideas for playing on the roof terrace  (Read 1884 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
I need ideas for playing on the roof terrace
« on: April 06, 2013, 21:45:02 pm »
It would be lovely to make use of our terrace if only I could think of something to occupy DS.

Without going out there to measure it I'm guessing it's about 10' x 12' - big enough for the patio furniture and still room to play.  But what can I give him to play with?

There are safe iron railings all around, he can't fall through but toys can and although he is not a thrower I can just see the temptation of gravity exploration would be too strong to resist if I gave him cars, blocks or anything that would fit between the bars (which are a few inches apart).
Balls are out of the question because they would get thrown over the rails.
I thought of 'painting' the floor with water but after the one day of decent weather when I took some buckets and tubs of water out there for him to play with I realised the wood decking is way too slippery when wet so this play is only possible until he spills water, kind of limiting the play time.
I can't give him pavement chalks, again because it is a wooden deck, not paving slabs.
He has a couple of ride ons but again the deck isn't a great surface for riding on and space is a bit limited really.
The weather up there isn't the best and even in the summer there are often strong winds which just blow any plants away or batter them, so we can't do planting in pots together...and paper for drawing could easily get blown away too.

You see my problem?

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
Re: I need ideas for playing on the roof terrace
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 21:51:34 pm »
We have one of these, bought for DS on his 2nd birthday and it has been well played with. It is fab!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smoby-55100-BIG-Waterplay-Niagara/dp/B005J97GO0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365285063&sr=8-2&keywords=big+waterplay

they come in a few other models, some smaller ones as well!  He LOVES it.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 22:01:37 pm »
I was going to suggest painting with water.  We always did that on our balcony. We also used to just take a blanket and take blocks or normal inside toys and play with them outside. We'd a sand table which was a big hit.

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 07:13:01 am »
Do you have a wall that you could attach a blackboard to?

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 07:17:59 am »
I was going to suggest a sand table, is that too messy?
Katt

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 12:50:53 pm »
Mashi - I love those water toys, I was so tempted to buy one last year and eventually decided not to. The weather doesn't really allow us to go out onto the terrace all that much and for me the cost of the toy is pretty high for something that wouldn't be used very often - if we have a fabulous summer the problem becomes too much sun and no shade, but most of the time it's cold or windy - I don't mind spending money, but I suppose I can see other ways to spend which would get more use yk?
The problem with the slippery wooden deck when it's wet too. if he could keep all the water inside something we'd have no problem, when he's a bit older that won't be the same problem it is now. Now as soon as water is spilled the deck is super slippery and we fall over :(

There is no wall to attach a blackboard.  But I wonder if I could somehow attach it to the rails. The layout is all railings (vertical ones) apart from the door to get back inside.  That would be a great to have a blackboard.

I fear it is too windy for sand.  We are quite close to the coast so we get the sea 'breeze' (gale) on and off even in good weather, esp with it being high up.  But I have been thinking of a gravel/stone alternative and I think that might work, with some tip trucks and diggers.

Any more ideas very welcome.  Maybe things I can attach to the rails in some way to prevent them being dropped?