Author Topic: How long can a 15 month old go with out eating much?  (Read 2578 times)

Offline BabySeb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How long can a 15 month old go with out eating much?
« on: April 07, 2013, 08:22:39 am »
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and really need some expert help!  My 15 month old has decided that does not want to eat.   I have read in the book that it is normal for toddlers to go off food as they are so interested in discovering the world, my biggest question is how long can this go for??  It has already been over a week and all he has is breakfast (normal amount) and his milk in the morning and in the evening (about 16 oz in total) but not eating any lunch and not dinner either.  If offered, he will have as many fromage Frais as possible as they go down very easily and pots of puree fruit but I don't want him to only eat that as he is not eating any fresh fruit, no meat and no veggies.   He looks absolutely fine otherwise, he is developing very well but has always been in the small side, he is still wearing clothes for 6-9 months old, so he is very small and I worry when he does not eat as he should do (I'm not big either but want to ensure he grows as he should do).  Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: How long can a 15 month old go with out eating much?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 17:31:57 pm »
Hi there and welcome  :)

Could he teething? Sounds like he doesn't weant any pressure on those poor gums to be honest. Could you find some other very soft foods that he might like?

x

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 19:48:52 pm »
Have you spoken to your doctor or health visitor? X
Claire x

Offline BabySeb

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 20:53:05 pm »
Hi there, thanks for the replies.  We are not sure that it would be due to teething as he has not other signs of it and besides he seems to just be picky and fussy with the food.   He has always been in the 9th percentile or around it and has dropped weight a few times since I started him on solid food but the doctors and the health visitors are never worried coz he is developing well and looks in proportion.  But my concern is that I don't want him to get to an extreme point for them to get worried.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 21:11:29 pm »
So he has gone off all his favourite foods too? Are you offering meals or snacks type foods? Does he eat the same as you?

Offline BabySeb

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 18:18:42 pm »
Yes he has gone off his favorite food too, or at least food that he had eaten before.  I try not to give him snacks between meals so he eats his lunch or dinner but it does not seem to make any difference.  In terms of what food, I offer him all sorts of things, I offer him what we eat but he has never been so keen.  Today he had his dinner at last and I gave him sweet potato mash. So what he eats it is really on an off depending on his mood, but I wonder how long he can go for without really eating much.  Everyone seems to say that he will be like that for a few days and then catch up, I'm yet waiting for the catching up period! 

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 18:29:40 pm »
Between about 14 months and around 2 years my dd only really ate one meal a day, she liked tuna pasta so she ate it every night and I would vary the vegetables in the sauce, other than that she just grazed, they really don't need much food to fill them up at this age and certainly not 3 square meals. It's funny because even now at 6 my dd likes most of her food in the evening! I also served my dd's dinner early (late afternoon) firstly because she had an early bedtime but also because she would just be too tired to eat otherwise.
Katt

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 20:51:56 pm »
Is it cows milk he is drinking in the morning and evening? Here it is recommended that children only need the equivalent of 10oz of cows milk after 1yo. That includes milk in cereal and cheese and yogurt. Do you think he is filling up on too much milk and therefore doesn't bother with the food? I would try cutting back on the milk gradually and seeing if he increases his intake of solid foods.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline BabySeb

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 17:20:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies!  Yes he might be having too much milk so will try to cut that down.  For different reasons were were late in getting him out of the bottle and onto a beaker, so we have just managed to do it and with the new drinking beaker he is drinking less so hopefully that would help.  It is just really strange as in the last two days he has been eating really well to my surprise but today we have gone again without lunch (or not much more than a few bits of bread) and no dinner at all.  I'll stop experimenting with different foods and just give him the sweet potato mash that he has eaten well these days.   Really appreciate your help!  Thanks

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 18:31:49 pm »
I would try to offer new foods alongside the sweet potato mash even if just for exposure until he decides to eat something else. You don't want to end up with a child (as opposed to a toddler) who only eats sweet potato.
Glad seems to have found his appetite :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 19:05:33 pm »
Glad he has had a couple of days of eating well at least!