Author Topic: Weaning - is my plan ok?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Anmarnad

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Weaning - is my plan ok?
« on: April 10, 2013, 07:32:38 am »
My DD is 9.5 mo and I would like to slowly start weaning her off. My goal is to continue until she is 1. Having read the FAQ on feeding solids board I was thinking of dropping the afternoon BF somewhere around the 10 months mark. But now I realised that those guidelines might be for bottle fed babies? Or do 10mo breast fed babies drop a feed as well then?
My plan was to drop the afternoon feed at 10 months, then the mid morning one maybe 3 weeks later and then slowly the morning and evening one as well, so that she is weaned at around 1. Does it sound OK? Or do you forsee some problems? Any tip would be very much welcomed!
Thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Weaning - is my plan ok?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:42:08 am »
Do you mean this FAQ  Routines for Solids and Bottles/BF's 6-12months ?

Those guidelines do say they are for BF and FF babies but they are just example routines of how to fit the meals and milk feeds in not recommendations for weaning off BF. I expect that most BF babies would still be on 4 milk feeds a day until 12mo. You will see there is a sample routine for 4 milk feeds from 9-11+mo in the same FAQ. I definitely wouldn't be planning to drop to less than 3 before 1yo unless you are replacing the BFs with formula as milk (breast or formula) should form the biggest part of their diet until 12mo.

Having said that if a baby is gaining weight well, eating a varied diet of solids meals and consuming reasonable quantities then you may find they are not as interested in one of the middle of the day feeds and will happily move to 3 feeds a day a 10mo. My DSs were 13mo and 15mo before we stopped doing 4 feeds each day. DS2 was later as he took longer to take more solids. The WHO actually recommend BFing as much as baby wants until 2yo but understandably that isn't practical or desirable to everyone (myself included). 

I would also check with your Dr whether he or she thinks your LO is ready for less milk as obviously all babies will be different.

HTH :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Anmarnad

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 12:55:32 pm »
Oh, I see.
You know, I have been working full time since DD was 3 mo, and the sound of my pomp really sends me to a bad place by now. I have really been struggling with all the bfing since the beginning and keeping it up so long has been a battle as well ( sometimes I still think I don't have enough milk). So I don't think I will be able to go longer than 12 months, and I really admire that you did. I promised myself that I will survive till then... I was kind of looking forward to dropping that one feed soon. :-) But she is not great with solids and super active as well and I do worry about her weight. I thought that if I drop that 1 milk feed she might be more inclined to eat solids.

So if I was to wean her at 12 months, when would you start reducing milk feeds?

And BTW, here in NL the advice is to have babies on 3 milk feeds at 9 months! I find it strange and hardly ever listen to my health advisor ( who usually says that he has no advice and its up to me). Yeah.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 14:51:32 pm »
If you want to drop feeds then you may well find she eats more solids as she will be hungrier yes. Is she taking a big feed in the day for both of those middle feeds or is one a smaller snack do you think? I'm sure many mamas have dropped to 3 feeds a day by 10 months, especially if they are working. Good on you for carrying on pumping and working, that must be tough. I am lucky enough to have had the option to be a stay at home mum which obviously makes BFing during the day easier. If you want to stop one or two feeds soon have you considered offering formula instead of cutting them completely? Or speak with your Dr and s/he may even say she is ok to drop down now and just have the two feeds plus the solids.
I guess it depends on how keen you DD is to nurse as to how slowly she will allow you to wean the breast completely. Have you read our FAQ on weaning? Weaning have a look and come back with any more questions you have :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011