Author Topic: 5 MO never slept through night & wakes 3-4 times to eat each night?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline jjgarcia77

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I'm new to poster and I'm also a new dad. Not sure how many dads post, but hey, I think the routine of waking to shush and feed multiple times per night is causing my wife some grief. Perhaps someone out there can help us.

My daughter is only breastfed and eats usually for 20-30 minutes at a time.

Her rough daily routine is:
6-7 am wakeup
7 am feed
9 am 45 min nap
10 am feed
12:30 pm hour nap
1 pm feed
4:30 pm 45 min nap
7:00 bath
7:15 feed
7:45-8 bedtime
She wakes up at least 3 times to eat each night

We've tried this schedule since she was just 8 weeks old and the baby hasn't learned to sleep through the night. We hit a rough spot around 3 months when she teethed her bottom two teeth and also was in the middle of a growth spurt. She were picking her up from her crib whenever she cried and feeding her 3-4 times per night to get her to settle down. When she cried and when she still does cry at night it starts as a whimper but ends up as screaming for up to 90 minutes until she is fed or somehow falls asleep.

When she eats she immediately goes back to sleep and usually for another 3 hours, but what's often the case is she will wake up at 11, 2, 4, and 5 because at the end of the night she has more energy I guess. When she wakes up she whines until my wife gives in and feeds her.

To settle the baby if it hasn't been three hours in between feeding we generally pat the baby on the but and shush her.

We've tried multiple sleeping techniques: swaddling, a Baby Merlin, back sleeping, stomach sleeping, bare crib, putting some stuffed toys in her crib to make her feel more secure, dead silence, and a loud noise machine. We feel like we're out of ideas and wonder if anyone can help break our little girls habit of waking up so much at night.

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 5 MO never slept through night & wakes 3-4 times to eat each night?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:54:58 am »
HI there

The first thing that jumps out is that she's not really getting much restorative daytime sleep. 45 mins naps are better than nothing but not really good quality sleep. I'd try keeping her awake time to around 2.25hrs (2hrs after a short nap) to see if that helps. Ideally she would have 2 x long (1hr plus) naps plus a short catnap.

Also you want to keep her day to about 12-12.5hrs. If she wakes at 6am, bedtime should be no later than 6.30pm, unless she pulls some really long naps.

These things might help with the nights.

Have you tried stretching her daytime feeds out closer to 4hrs (or 3.5hrs at least)? She might take in more calories that way as she'll be more hungry and so take a fuller feed.

At night I would do a dreamfeed at 10.30pm, before she wakes at 11. Then settle her with shush-pat if she wakes before 2am, so that you can start to move to 4hrs between feeds at night. Does she use a paci/soother/dummy at night?