Author Topic: Homo milk vs 2 percent  (Read 3261 times)

Offline Charjanemom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:41:03 pm »
Hi ladies. My dd just turned 1 last week and I have started moving to cows milk. I have been doing it gradually so we are at about 2oz homo (3.25 percent) and 4 oz formula. She has 3 bottles a day and sippy of water through out the day. She is getting constipated. A mom told me she had same issue so she switched to 2 percent and it was way better. I tried searching the web on the pros and cons of what to do but can't find much info. She is 95th percentile for height and weight so she doesn't need the fat. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!!

Offline zeri

• Showing Appreciation 55
    • coffeebeing
Re: Homo milk vs 2 percent
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 13:13:50 pm »
We are told here that they need the fat in homogenized until two yrs for brain development, it hasn't got anything to do with height/weight. I have heard that constipation can be caused by cow's milk regardless if fat content if there is a digestion issue, so you could try switching to a dairy free alternative. with the cow's milk. Also, a diet that is high fat / low fibre can cause it, so you could try adding more fruit to her diet (not bananas, as they can trigger) and offering more water.
~Lisa~
http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/
http://coffeebeing.blogspot.ca/

Spirited Gigglet 2008         Sweet Pickle 2010

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Homo milk vs 2 percent
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 13:28:04 pm »
We get constipation from all dairy with DD2 regardless of the type it is...agree with Zeri that the fat content is for their brain development.  We kept DD2 on formula until she was over 2 because it was an easy way to make sure she was getting what she needed (had a limited diet due to sensory issues).
Heidi