Author Topic: Best foods when cutting a tooth?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Best foods when cutting a tooth?
« on: April 14, 2013, 00:48:23 am »
Just looking for some suggestions - DS is just starting to cut his first tooth, it has broken through, but not completely yet. 

He currently gets an 8oz bottle (formula) at WU and BT and whole milk during the day (lunch, snack, etc.).  Being that he is almost a year old, solids are obviously important at this point, but I am really struggling to get him to eat anything at all.  I know it's normal to slack on eating because his gums are sore, but yesterday at dinner he was so hungry he literally shovelled food into his mouth so quickly that he stuffed it so full he couldn't chew and I had to pull out gobs of it...and then he didn't end up eating hardly anything :(

I've been trying super soft foods (steamed or boiled well), and if that fails I usually try to spoon feed him something, but he usually only takes a few bites.  The only thing I can consistently get him to eat is fruit - mainly bananas, blueberries, strawberries, avocados.

Anyway, just looking for suggestions, tonight I was able to give him a small amount of cereal before bed, though that's unusual.  I'm a little stressed thinking that there is a possibility he's going to bed hungry :(

~Carly~

Re: Best foods when cutting a tooth?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 01:10:19 am »
I make small pancakes with blueberries and freeze them.  THey are great to gnaw on and defrost fast, so we haven't had any gagging issues. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 13:15:40 pm »
When my DS is teething I tend to just let him have anything he will eat (within reason - it's all healthy, I don't mean let him eat chocolate!).  He also prefers fruit and would eat too much and get an upset tummy if I didn't limit it a bit.
He's always liked a bread stick to munch on when teething, it isn't just soft foods that can help, the hard foods like that can give relief to the gums.
Another thing you could try is a stick of raw celery, mine never took it but it is supposed to be good for gnawing at and has local anaesthetic qualities so reduces pain.  Worth a try.

Try not to worry too much because generally they make up for it in a big way when the discomfort has passed - be prepared with mountains of food when the day comes!

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 16:43:24 pm »
My sister's LO is also a fruit monster when he's teething. He also will eat yogurt and tofu and not much else.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 18:54:39 pm »
My sister's LO is also a fruit monster when he's teething.
...pretty much.  All he wants to eat is fruit.

That said, last night he had chicken, peas, and sweet potato for dinner...so that's a plus!