Author Topic: 6.75months too young to move to 3 bottles?  (Read 2184 times)

Offline MommyMoulton

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
6.75months too young to move to 3 bottles?
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:45:01 am »
Just wondering if my DD is too little to drop to 3 bottles a day. She isn't refusing bottles per se but she used to drink 5-6 oz per bottle but over the last 3 weeks as we have dropped the CN she is drinking less per bottle and it takes a very long time for her to drink them. Its like she's not very hungry so she just sort of takes her sweet time eating. I think if I were to drop a bottle she would be hungrier for other bottles and drink better below is our EASY

7am 3-4oz
8 solids
945/10-1130 nap
1130 3-4oz
1130 solids
2/215 -4 Nap
4 3-4oz
5 solids
645 3-4oz
7 bath
715/730 bedtime
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 12:55:39 pm by MommyMoulton »
Melissa

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 6.75months too young to move to 3 bottles?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:52:35 am »
She is too young to drop to 3 bottles - that usually happens around 9-10 months.

Have you tried a faster teat? If you have then the other thing is to look at how much solids she is having. 3 meals a day is a lot for a 6.5 month old - many babies take a couple of months more to get to 3 meals, she needs milk more than solids at this age.

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 21:42:35 pm »
Hey Melissa - agree with Laura completely.  I would reduce solids to once per day to get that formula intake back up.  You can certainly offer small finger foods at the other times, but I would limit how much she eats.  Formula needs to be at least 24 ozs per day and up to 30ozs is preferable.

Offline clairew11

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 19:09:24 pm »
I think it depends, get her weighed, drop her to 3 and see how she does, aslong as she gains weight still then you know best. Charlie is 7 months and I am dropping to 3 bottles, well going to try, he has sr, never been a big milk drinker and paed told us to power on with solids and aslong as he gets between 15-20oz of milk inc dairy then they aren't worried at all x

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 20:07:14 pm »
There is also the issue of hydration - the amount and spacing of bottles isn't just about food. They need to be drinking more than a few sips of water with food to compensate. The minimum amount recommended up until 1 is 20oz, 24-32oz is a more common amount.

Don't forget that milk is much more important for fats and nutrients for growth and brain development than early solids, you don't want them having solids instead of milk.

Laura

Offline clairew11

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 21:46:55 pm »
I totally agree, however you can't force them to drink milk, I have had 7 months of hell with milk and maybe because of his sr it is different with us. Maybe try dropping the one bottle and see if she takes anymore oz over a 24 hour period, she may well do and then you have upper her in take, if not go back to offering it 4 times a day x

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:15:12 am »
Reflux absolutely makes a difference to babies liking for milk but it doesn't make it less important.  As Laura said, milk is the most important at this age both for complete nutrition and hydration - especially now that we are headed towards the warmer part of the year.  Just would like to mention also that Laura knows first hand how hard reflux can make things... she is the mother of a couple of refluxers herself.

How is she doing now Melissa?

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 06:31:28 am »
V isstill managing on 4 bottles for the most part. There are days when routine only allows for 3 and she manages fine. We are recovering from illness here so maybe a few more weeks then I reassess her milk intake needs.
Melissa

Offline clairew11

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 21:48:26 pm »
Ok I wasn't trying to offend anyone just offering a different opinion, I know you can't force them to drink it that's all I was trying to say, I didn't say it made it any less important x

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 22:56:12 pm »
MM - if you offered 3 dyt she would drink 7/8oz bottles? If so then the total intake will be similar. :-\ it is obviously not ideal, but having a baby who also struggles to feed I understand how some babies lead you to want to move to 3 bottles early.

Also. How much solids is she having? Solids will fill them up quick. If you reduce the volume of solids she may have more milk.

Also Claire
Ok I wasn't trying to offend anyone just offering a different opinion, I know you can't force them to drink it that's all I was trying to say, I didn't say it made it any less important x
Your opinion is just as valuable as everyone else's honey, please don't feel you were offending. I understand where your coming from. It is just important that it is also made clear that milk needs to be the first line of nutrition for LOs under 1 year :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 02:18:37 am »
Also Claire
Quote from: clairew11 on Today at 02:48:26 PM

Your opinion is just as valuable as everyone else's honey, please don't feel you were offending. I understand where your coming from. It is just important that it is also made clear that milk needs to be the first line of nutrition for LOs under 1 year :-*

So sorry Claire!  I was going to PM you and then my 2.5 yr old had other plans... Certainly not offending... this is a public forum that anyone can read so we just have to make sure to point out that there are special circumstances that will lead you away from the "norm" when it comes to feeding.  In general, milk needs to be the main source of nutrition until a year.  Sorry if I offended you!

Offline clairew11

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 21:41:06 pm »
Sorry only just managed to get on, I know everyone has to make people aware about milk I just know how hard it is to read that milk is the most important thing when they just won't drink it.

I have found even with Charlie and his sr his intake has picked up a little again, I think from 6+ months plus they go through so much, teething, development etc that they go through phases. I have just carried on offering 4 times a day, sometimes he takes it all, vers hardly any x

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 03:37:08 am »
I think from 6+ months plus they go through so much, teething, development etc that they go through phases

Yes!  So many things change for them from 6 months to 2 yrs that it can be so tough with eating in general!