Author Topic: EBT and fitting in Dinner?  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
EBT and fitting in Dinner?
« on: April 16, 2013, 15:46:30 pm »
Please move if not in the right place?

We are in the throws of 2-1 so we are doing EBT sometimes SEBT. He's 11 months old so I really need to be instituting dinner (haven't as of yet, we're late I know). Right now is sched
W: 6:30
E: 7  6-8oz (usually 6)(he is much more amennable to eating his formula about 30min after he wakes/dresses and has a little play time in his room with me.
E: 1.5hrs after bottle so around 8:30 Solids, for instance this morning he had
     4-5 bites (like thumbsize) of egg yolk, 5-6 cheerios, 4-5 bites of cooked zuchinni (refused the mango pieces, and the bread bites) and about      and 2oz eater
     3.5oz of puree (spinach, pea, and pear mix)
E: Snack at 10:30 of a rick rusk or cheerios etc. and some water 1oz
S: 11-1 (sometimes more which is when I run into the lunch/dinner issue)
E: Formula at 1 8oz he's usually starving by this time.
E: 2:30 1-1.5hrs later yesterday he had
     2-3 bites of apple pieces
     4-5 bites of blueberries
     4-5 bites of avacado
     10-12 pieces of small bite size pasta pieces
    1oz of water
     3oz of chicken/sweet potato puree
E: 4:30 snack of cheerios and left of lunch pasta and 1oz of water
With EBT he had to eat his BT bottle at 5:45 ate 9oz and then BT was 6:00

I can't find dinner in there anywhere. If I do dinner instead of the snack he wont want his BT bottle. W/ in like 5hrs I'm giving him 2 bottles one meal and one snack. I can't imagine doing 2 meals and 2 bottles w/in that small period of time? I could try lunch before his nap but that's compressed too with the breakfast and he may not be hungry enough?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: EBT and fitting in Dinner?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 16:15:30 pm »
After his nap, could you do something like:
1pm (ish) lunch - solids
2.30-3pm (ish) milk (as a snack)
4.30-5pm (ish) dinner - solids
Then milk again at BT.

Wdyt?

When you are ready you could drop the afternoon milk and swap it for a solid snack.

Also, as his nap gets later you can do lunch before nap, and poss bring breakfast a bit earlier.

I wouldn't worry too much if he doesn't have all his milk at BT on EBT days. Unless he wakes hungry?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 16:20:05 pm by cathn »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 16:21:52 pm »
Here is the issue, he really doesn't eat solids well I cajole him into eating but he'd eat 3 or 4 bites and be done if I let him.  I tried doing solids first but then he would usually only drink 4oz of his bottle? I can't imagine he'd eat lunch, a bottle, and dinner again in the space of 3.5hrs? and then Eat another bottle just 1/2hour after that? The only difference is swapping the bottle and lunch but the rest seems the same it's still fitting in 2 meals and 2 bottles in a 4-5hr period of time? I am keeping up his formula at 22-24oz because he can't have dairy so now milk, cheese etc.  I'm not sure I should lower that intake?

**Siobhan**

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 16:29:54 pm »
Don't really know much about dairy intolerances I'm afraid, but I'd imagine that if you need to keep his milk that high so he gets enough dairy, then he just won't be hungry for more solids. I wouldn't cajole him at all, just let him eat as much as he is hungry for at each meal.

Does he wake hungry at all at night? If not, then i'm sure he's eating enough during the day in total, including milk.

Perhaps some one else who knows about dairy intolerances will have some ideas about whether or not to decrease milk to increase solids...
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 16:49:47 pm »
Oh he's still hungry. he just gets bored and wants to go play with the dog. He's not fussing just not interested in eating wants to play play play. If I give him a toy to play with he'll happily open his mouth for puree's just wont feed himself If he ever fusses the meal is over I never force.

He only a few times has woken in the middle of the night when I thought geee he might be hungry. And a few times he's woken early from a nap starving. But for the most part he doesn't I don't think.

**Siobhan**

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 03:51:13 am »
You can let his milk intake drop down a fair bit now... since he is milk intolerant, you will have to explore other options since he can't have formula forever :)   There are lots of dairy free "cheese" and "yogurt" options now... have a look around a health food store and you will find lots!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 09:24:53 am »
Hi Kara he is also soy intollerant so there aren't a lot of options. We had a gastro appointment yesterday, he did say not to lower his formula because he's not takung in enough calories via solids ao his weight gain dropped. We have to go back in a month to see where we are at. That being said ge did say we could offer solids first and see if that helps. He has been so miserable .lately and grumpy and has been refusing pretty much everything but pasta.

**Siobhan**

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 13:20:33 pm »
I don't know if you'll find it in New York but we have this now:
http://www.coyo.co.uk/products/index.htm

Absolutely gorgeous, dairy and soy free yoghurt.  Maybe have a look for it - I can find it at the Whole Foods Market here.

Also this:

http://www.kokodairyfree.com/

non-dairy, non-soy milk.  If you're worried about calories, a rice pudding made with this could be great for him. 

Is he completely dairy intolerant? Can he have goat or sheep's cheese? 

Hugs, sounds seriously tricky!   

PS looking at his lunch, looks like he ate lots to me - I have an 11 month old too, seems like tons!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 14:50:44 pm »
Thanks so  much Anne, those links are so helpful and will look for them asap. He's actually started eating less, maybe 2-2.5oz of puree and only a few bites of solids then he's just done. Not much I can do about it. I just keep offering stuff he'll eat and then new stuff.

**Siobhan**

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 04:00:51 am »
Sounds like molars hun...

I have a friend whose LO has far more food intolerances than your wee man - you have to get creative!  Her LO is intolerant of random food proteins - things like carrot and zucchini will leave him sick for a couple of days... blistered rash and projectile vomiting.. MSPI would be a blessing.  It is totally hard to do at first, but once you find a few good websites/support groups, it gets much easier in terms of where and what to offer in place of traditional things like cheese/milk/yogurt etc.

As for not taking enough from solids, it's really a catch-22 at this age.  Too much milk means they won't eat much... but their diet can be hard to balance at this age as well.   Hopefully the solids first, then milk will help with his solids intake. 

I've just messaged her on FB to find out if she can recommend some good sources of recipes for you :)  Will be back!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 04:06:52 am »
Here is the first one she sent me:  http://www.mspimama.com/

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 05:12:12 am »
Got a few more bits for you :)  Sorry it's kinda ugly - I cut and pasted from FB :)

Is there anything other than the MSPI?  Eggs? Gluten?  Anything you are avoiding for family reasons/allergies etc?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Super Easy MSPI Muffins (so many variations!)

1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup oil (I use coconut)
1/2 cup fruit puree (so far ive used apple sauce, blueberry puree, beet puree, and sweet potato puree)
1 1/2 cups flour (i mix white and whole wheat)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar (i find this ends up quite sweet)  * Added by Kara - I bake a LOT and always cut sugar in half with no issues! *
Combine wet and dry ingredients separtly. Pour wet into dry and mix until just blended. (at this point i folded blueberries into the batter of the apple ones) bake 400 degrees The recipe says 15 minutes for full size, 10 minutes for minis. Im finding it depends how wet your fruit puree is. Use the toothpick test

^^would be good with banana puree and enjoy life chocolate chips. They are mspi friendly. As are a lot of Back to nature crackers. Daiya "cheese" earth balance soy free buttery spread. Soy free veganaise

Coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.

Ohhh!!! Hang on

http://wellfedeveryone.wordpress.com/2009/12/06/egg-free-dairy-free-gingerbread-cookies/

I just roll little balls of dough in sugar and flatten them out. Mmmm

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 13:11:52 pm »
Sounds like molars hun...

You think? He keeps sticking his whole hand in his mouth so that might make sense? He's grumpy and clingy but I was attributing that to the 2-1 mess we're in. He's got no drool, and no red cheeks but that doesn't mean it's not teeth. Stupid question but how could I check for molars?

Thanks so much, I looked at MSPI mamma but it's more for breastfeeding moms and what they can eat? He wont eat a lot of her recipes but its wroth a looksie. I will try those gingerbread cookies I think he might like though. I can't seem to find the earth balance soy free here :( Maybe I"ll take the long trip to wholefoods. I want to try those muffins too he seems to like bread. 

this morning he snuck a bite of my greek yogurt (small one). I took a spoonfull then looked away and he was standing in front of me, leaned in and took a bite then starting clammering for more. So I know if/when we can intorduce it he'll like it at least. :)

**Siobhan**

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 13:17:17 pm »
Grumpy, clingy, hand in mouth, definitely sounds like teeth.  Could put him off his food and off everything else instead.  Poor thing.

Here's a good dairy/soy free marg... again don't know if you have it there...great for baking!

http://www.puredairyfree.co.uk/sunflower.php
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 13:39:19 pm »
Thanks. I think I'll take myself down to the town healthfood store Just means $$$ ykwim. I'll be on the lookout for that kind of thing. They should be able to point me in the right direction.  I just wish I could see anything back there but I can't. He refused to use teething toys at all. I think I"ll get some clean new washclothes and free them in the freezer maybe he'll chew on those.

**Siobhan**