Author Topic: 8-day old loss of appetite  (Read 996 times)

Offline Lyna

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:56:32 am »

Hello!

My DD is 8 days today. We had a very good start and she was latching well and going really strong on feeding and staying at the breast. She was so strong that when milk finally came down the engorgement was quite strong. I feared I was going to get in trouble with infection or mastitis but just as well she was able to empty both breasts and engorgement was gone in less than 48 hours.

However, last night she began eating well for the first 10 minutes and then stopped. Seemed to want to go to sleep and would take the breast but just for play (would not latch or even attempt to do so). This has been going on since last night and her longest feed was this morning for 15 minutes.  This feels rather short keeping in mind that the breasts are not as full as a few days ago and I figure the flow must be slower now. She would still go to sleep for 3 hours and wake up again. I thought she was going to be super hungry when she woke up but nothing... another few minutes and then drops the whole thing. I feel my supply is already going down. Is this possible in such a short period of time? I read somewhere that if the flow is not strong enough they sometimes refuse it. Her last two diapers have had very very small stools. I am not sure what to do at this point? I fear she is not getting enough judging from the time on the breast and the diapers.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: 8-day old loss of appetite
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 17:50:16 pm »
My LO only ever took 10 minutes to feed - she was just very efficient.  Are you offering both sides at each feed?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Lyna

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 18:38:02 pm »
Yes. I have been offering both sides. Since she was pumping so much, I had sore nipples and had to use nipple shields for a couple of days. She was doing fine with them as well in both breasts, but now that I have stopped using them, she is refusing one of the breasts. She takes it and plays with it but doesn't latch. As a result, this one is often the fullest breast but she is not taking it. I have started pumping the milk from that one but I am afraid that feeding her with a bottle (even if it is breast milk) will undermine her will to take the breast at all. I already gave her the milk I had pumped from the breast she didn't take after she had emptied the other one on her own. I was hoping she would not take it as a sign that she was satisfied, but then she took it so I am not sure to what extent it is enough. After feeling my breasts very full since the milk came down they have felt rather empty today.

We had a bad experience with her older sister and DH will not take chances and is ready to supplement with formula at the earliest sign that she is not taking enough milk.

What should I do to ensure she gets enough and that the milk supply stays high?

Thanks

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 19:18:51 pm »
If you're getting engorged (full) in that one breast, it could be that she's struggling to latch on because of that.  You can express some milk so that the breast is a little softer and give it another go.

Are you nipples still getting sore now that you've stopped using the shields, or is that still an issue for you?
Have you tried some different nursing positions in case she's not so comfortable in the one you usually use?

If you're worried about developing a bottle preference, you can always cup or syringe feed instead.  There are lots of alternatives here - http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/breastfeeding/faqs/alternatives-bottles

The best way to avoid low supply is to feed frequently, along with plenty of skin to skin contact and keeping baby close to you as much as you can.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Lyna

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 08:04:19 am »
Thanks Fiver,

after the initial engorgement, i have not had the breast that full again. Nipples are sorted out but out of curiosity I tried to latch DD to the breast using the nipple shield and she took it without a problem! I am thinking your suggestion on position might help as i  figure she is struggling to latch on properly. The shield did the trick though. We seem to be back on track.

Lyna

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 18:23:59 pm »
That's good news.  You can always wean the shield once she's a bit happier on that side.  You can start off a feed with it on and then take it off midway :)
*** Amanda ***