Author Topic: big bites  (Read 1813 times)

Offline MamaLiz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • mmmmm raspberries!
big bites
« on: April 21, 2013, 18:57:31 pm »
Hello,

2.5 y/o dd1 has been taking really big bites/spponfuls of her food lately. It's not hunger related as it can happen for first, last, or any bite in between. On a couple occasions, she has had to take a bit back out. I also don't think its an attention thing as she doesn't care if I'm watching and neither of us makes a fuss about it. I am afraid she will choke though. Thoughts/ideas? TIA

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: big bites
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 19:31:04 pm »
She won't choke, babies have pretty good self defence mechanisms. Worst that could happen is that she would gag on it and vomit. I guess actually there is a tiny chance that she could but presumably she isn't totally unsupervised while she's eating? I think this is all just part of the learning process and figuring out how to manage food/what size of mouthful is good/comfortable etc.

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 19:43:29 pm »
My DD has started doing this more recently: totally overloading her spoon or half chewing some food and then popping more in which results in her wanting to spit out half chewed food into my hand! She will then happily pop it back in her mouth! Bleurgh!  :-x

I think she's just experimenting as Anna says. I just keep trying to remind her to chew and swallow her mouthful first or watching out for huge spoon/forkfuls and advising that it looks a bit big!

*Nicola*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 11:48:54 am »
Yeah- kids are pretty good at not choking!! Hamish has had a couple of catches but he has always coughed to clear it... it's part of the learning process! I'd suggest making sure you are familiar with what to do with choking just in case if you're worried...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 14:10:49 pm »
DS was doing this until recently, but now he actually looks at what's on the spoon or fork and comments if he thinks it's too much, so I tell him to take less  ;D

This has come about after lots of discussion and coaching from me  ;)

All part of the learning process!

Offline MamaLiz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • mmmmm raspberries!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 01:25:36 am »
Thanks all! Mostly just wanted to know if other kids do the same - we've only had one close call but dd wants to be a big girl and doesn't care to have things cut up much anymore (if she can see that others don't) so things like grapes and the whole strawberries she was shoving in two by two tonight scare me. We did watch a couple youtube videos about heimlich and CPR for kids the other night ;)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 04:47:48 am »
Personally I still cut up grapes for DD2, and hotdogs or anything that is a bigger hazard as she tends to stuff her cheeks like a hamster. She has actually choked 3 times though, requiring the heimlich. Otherwise I just keep reminding her to take small bites and modelling that myself.
Heidi

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 13:11:52 pm »
another one going though a bit bite patch here

although she is learning now to think about how much she scoops up and take less/tip some off if it looks like too much
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 19:31:32 pm »
My son often takes huge mouthfuls.  I think it's just a learning thing.  It's always a good idea to know how to deal with choking just in case but don't worry too much I reckon.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/