Author Topic: Baby wakes up constantly  (Read 5982 times)

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 22, 2013, 19:50:07 pm »
Ok so I'm new on the site looking for help! I've read many posts to see if I can find some advice but no one has my situation, either their baby got sick and stopped sleeping, or they're bottle fed, or they don't nap during the day.

My baby boy is 5.5 months is EBF with solids 2x a day, one at lunch time and one at dinner and has been since he was 4 months so it's not new to him. He has never been sick, not teething, naps great during the day, eats great, overall he's a perfect, healthy normal baby - until night time. We have a night time routine then he goes to sleep for 2 MAYBE 3 hours then wakes up, sleeps for another hour then wakes and so on... He does sleep with me which i don't mind because he sleeps longer at night with me, but I can't nap during the day with him because he wont nap with me, which has me so confused. Here is our typical 24 hour schedule (give or take but its our average day) someone PLEASE help me, I am so tired all the time...

6:00 wakes up, nurse, dad takes over until 7:15
7:15 nap for about 45 min - 1 hr
8:00 nurse, play
10:00 nap
11:30 nurse, play with solids about 12:30
1:00 nap
2:30 nurse, play (or run errands if needed)
4:15 nap
5:30 nurse, play
30 min nap depending on his last nap
Bedtime between 8-9:00
Wakes at 10:30 OR 11:30, if he wakes at 10:30 hell go back to sleep no prob. til 11:30 then wakes again and SCREAMS until I feed him. I try pushing it off until midnight but usually only make it to 11:45. Then he wakes again at 1-1:30 back down no prob wakes at 2:30 feeds, wakes at 4 sometimes back down, then he will sleep until between 5:45 and 6:00.

Now he USED to sleep from about 8:30 to 1-1:30 to eat then until 4:30 and then sleep til between 6 and 7 but not since he was 4 mo. And I've tried putting him to bed earlier but it's the same thing just an hour ahead and he wakes up at 5am. I've tried babywise, baby whisperer, CIO for the worst 3 days of my life, pu/pd, rocking him to sleep and putting him down... Nothing works... I don't even care at this point if he sleeps through the night, I'd give anything just to get him back to only waking twice!!

Oh and he's still swaddled with his legs free or else he punches himself in the face. No reflux, no other problems. Ped recommended CC but I can't. We've tried other crying methods and he cried for hours and I just can't let him cry that long... Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Baby wakes up constantly
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 13:16:35 pm »
Hi hon! You;ve had quite a run of it!! Great plan not to use any more crying methods.

The first thing i think you need to have a bit of a look at is the day routine. I'm thinking he's having too many naps and not enough A time in the day- that's then leading her to have night wakings- and you are probably BOTH ending up tired!! At 5.5 months lots of babies are STARTING to move from 3-2 naps. This transition can be a real pain and cause a number of night wakings. I would suggest to first of all try to stretch out that first A time after the 6am waking to and have the first nap of the day from about 8.30 or so- or 8 to start. 6am is a fine time to wake up (in baby land.. not really for anyone without a baby ::) ) and unless he's looking like he's going to go back down i'd try to stretch that A time out.

If you can get the longer A time then you will hopefully get a long nap there- so 8-10 or 8.30-10.30? Then try to push the second A time also up- so you might be looking at nap 2 at 1.00? This MIGHT then get you through to about 3 if it's a good sized nap. You could at this stage aim for a cat nap around 4.30 or so- possibly a short ne at 5? I would aim to not treat that last nap in your example above as a nap but rather as a night waking- just resettle.

Thoughts on this? The increase in A time and less naps across the day may help the nights...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 13:43:31 pm »
To be completely honest, his 7:15 nap is more because im not ready to get up yet and he goes down so easy that I dont even try getting up ::) Though I've thought maybe his naps were the issue, I've been sort of letting him lead me on his naps... When he starts getting fussy I put him down and he goes right to sleep, I've tried extending his schedule a little before and he ends up waking after 45 min. to eat. But that was a few weeks back when he was only eating solids every other day... So perhaps I can extend his A time with a little food right before napping instead of in the middle of A time and that will get him full enough to take a longer nap. Now that you mention it he has been napping almost 2 hours sporadically, not fussing at his regular intervals, but then fussing himself to sleep rather than quietly passing out! I guess I've just been too tired to think that maybe he's not as tired anymore lol. Thanks for the suggestion I'll work on extending his schedule and let you know if it helps or not

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 18:11:44 pm »
To be completely honest, his 7:15 nap is more because im not ready to get up yet and he goes down so easy that I dont even try getting up

I have definitely been there!  When my ds was smaller, I think there was a period of time where he would have gladly napped for 45 minutes about 6 times a day if I let him!  It just seemed like it was a nice time for a nap every 45 minutes or so!  That being said, that's not going to do wonders for his nighttime sleep.  That first nap is also more of an extension of his nighttime sleep as well -- he's probably treating his night as 8-8 with a little time to eat and play in there. 

Let us know how your schedule tweaking goes!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 20:45:59 pm »
To be completely honest, his 7:15 nap is more because im not ready to get up yet and he goes down so easy that I dont even try getting up 

Oh- me too!! I actually cringed a little when i suggested you get up!! I was actually thinking though that this would be a lovely opportunity for some daddy baby bonding time :P ;D But yeah- you might feel like getting up then if the night sleep improves...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 21:15:52 pm »
Well daddy leaves for work at 7:15 so it's back to mommys turn. Lol. As of today, so far he's doing great with extended A time. He actually goes ALMOST 3 hrs without fussing! So I suppose he was ready for a longer schedule. His last nap was still only 1.5 hrs like clockwork, with this one going on 1.5 as I type this, but it's his last nap of the day so if he wakes I'm going to put him to bed a little early at about 7:30 but I'm working towards 3 hr A times and 1.5 hr naps are ok but if he wants to sleep longer that's fine with me for the next few days until the new schedule is set in stone. So hopefully in the next few days he'll be sleeping at night! If not then I'm at a loss and just have to let him figure things out himself lol

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 03:45:31 am »
Sounds AWESOME!! My thoughts are that if you let this schedule settle in for a few days and see how the nights go. If there are still problems pop back on and we can help you brainstorm some ideas for the night time. It could need a combination of approaches. Fingers crossed for you!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 16:33:12 pm »
Well after 2 nights I see no change at all... The first night I thought was going to go well, went down at 7:30 stirred about 9:30 but settled back on his own, woke at 11:30, 1:30, 4:00, and finally up at 5:30 wouldn't go back down. Last night he went down at 8, woke at 11:30 wouldn't settle without feeding, woke at 1:30 no feeding, woke at 2:30 feeding, woke at 3:30 no feeding, 4:30 feeding, 5:30 awake. His day schedule has been

Wake 5:30, nurse, play
7:15 nap
8:30 wake, nurse, play, solids 30 min before nap
11:00 nap
12:30 wake, nurse, play solids before nap
3:30 nap
5:00 wake, nurse, short play time, solids, walk, bath, nurse
8:00 bed

I try to not feed him everytime he wakes and I can usually get him back down without about half the time but the 11:30, 2:30, and 4:30 wakings if I don't feed him he screams until I do. I've tried settling him without if anything to just try pushing the waking back the next nights but it never works. If I am able to settle him he's up 5 minutes later crying again and if I let him cry for a few minutes then it takes me longer to calm him to go back to sleep.

I've considered a growth spurt but its been going on for over a month this way... And I noticed in the beginning that his clothes were getting tighter but we got him new clothes and they still fit the way they did a month ago when we got them. I also thought maybe he wasn't getting enough to eat because he was getting distracted but I've made sure he's getting enough, I feed him until he flat out refuses on both milk and solids and he generally empties 1 whole breast and most of the other and eats 1/2 jar of baby food...

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 17:30:29 pm »
And today he's not even napping. He woke after 1 hr from his afternoon nap so now I'm thinking he's overtired and not wanting to sleep at all

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 16:44:36 pm »
Hi hon-  argh! What a pain! I'd probably feed at that 11.30 feed and not try to hold it off, lots of babies are still doing a dream feed at that time and that age. How are you settling him? Rocking him? shh-pat? is he an independent settler?

If you think he's overtired then try to APOP some more sleep into him. So either at the end of a short nap, or chuck in an extra nap in the car, or the carrier, or have an early bed time to manage it.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 18:12:06 pm »
I try not to settle him the same each time. Basically I swaddle and hold him and if he's in a good mood hell fall asleep with just that, then if that doesn't work I pat, then move on to sh/pat, then if all else fails I rock. And he doesn't sleep in the car or carrier unless he's way tired.

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 22:12:10 pm »
How can I get him to nap longer? Before changing his schedule he was napping 1.5 hrs at a time and since I extended the A time he only naps 1 he max. I've tried everything that used to put him back to sleep before but now either he refuses all of it or he just sits awake for about 10 min of trying and then starts crying... The more he sleeps during the day the less he sleeps at night and the less he sleeps during the day the less he sleeps period...

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 02:56:14 am »
How are you doing now?  What's your A time up to?

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 16:22:02 pm »
His A time is up to about 2.5 hours if he takes a good nap. If he takes a short nap it's about 1.5 hours before he's upset. I try to get him to 2 hours at least. He naps worse since changing his schedule, but he sleeps better at night SOMETIMES. Last night was every hour or two but the night before he only woke twice, night before that was mediocre. It's just been hit or miss.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 17:23:31 pm »
Hmm...is it possible he's overstimulated at all during A time?  The way he's waking suggests that he either needs more A time or he's overstimulated before he goes to sleep.  Ugh, I feel like there's something I'm missing.

Offline lindaufo99

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.aliexpress.com/store/920118
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 17:39:52 pm »
  :o i can think how much tired you are suffering...

my baby giry now is near 8 month , she usually get up in te morning by 7am, and then paly, then near 10:30 amp, she will nap,(befreo nap, i need to feed her) ,nap need 2 hours some times, then after she wake up, we will arrange  lunch for her, then play,
around 3:30 some times 4:00 pm, she needs nap again, this nap will need sometimes 1-1.5 hours, then, play, then have supper, go on playing,  around 8:30 pm. she is going to be sleepy, then i will feed her again. then she goes sleepping, until tomorrow around 7:00 am...

now my daughter is mixed feeding rom 4 month old gradually,some porridge ,some RICE CEREAL,and powdered milk.
baby clothing ,toys for education,shopping from China, good quality & cheap prices. welcome to my shop.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/920118

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 22:23:37 pm »
Well I thought maybe that was the case so about 30 min. Before his naps he gets 1 toy usually a teething ring or a bear nothing too interesting and we just snuggle on the couch until nap time but that doesn't seem to be helping any... I have no idea what could be going on

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 02:44:41 am »
So frustrating when you can't find a cause for wakings.  Wonder week perhaps? 

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 20:51:33 pm »
I guess wonder week is possible it just seems like its been going on too long... It started right after 4 months and he's now almost 6 mo. I guess it's possible that it WAS wonder week and his nights just got so messed up. I just don't know how to get it back on track. If I let him cry then he just cries and cries but if I let him go more than 15 minutes then he's awake for at least an hour and he's OT the whole next day and then the next night is worse than the previous. The only thing I haven't tried is W2S but I'm afraid (although I guess it can't get any worse) he's going to stay awake... During his naps if I so much as breathe on him no matter what stage he's in he wakes up and starts kicking and turning his head and won't go back to sleep... Ped. Sees nothing wrong and suggests letting him cry (otherwise he's a great doc. And very supportive of BF and cosleeping) I just don't know what to do

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 02:25:27 am »
OK, at your typical night waking, what exactly are you doing?  I'm trying to picture it so I can see if things are needing to be changed there. 

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 02:58:52 am »
When he eats he goes right back to sleep but when it's not time to eat I let him rustle around a bit and occasionally he'll go back to sleep, but if not i give him his pacifier, then pat him, then I eventually pick him up and bounce him to sleep unless he cries and then if he cries a while I feed him. I've considered maybe its a resettling problem but he puts himself back to sleep sometimes? If that's the problem then how do I fix it? When he starts falling back asleep I put him back down and he'll fall asleep on the bed instead of in my arms but he won't do it before I hold him...

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 00:58:54 am »
I would try as hard as you can to resettle him where he is without picking him up (if you can) and try not to feed after trying to resettle for a long time.  The idea is that if you feed them after a lot of fussing, you're only teaching them that lots of fussing results in getting fed.  If you wait for him to fall asleep (even if it's just for 5 minutes) then it's a new waking and you can feed straight away.  I would always try (as hard as it is) to decide (usually based on the clock) right away whether or not you're feeding or not. 

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 21:23:06 pm »
Well he woke last night after only about 3 hrs and I tried to resettle without picking up, he just got frantic so I held him to resettle. Didn't feed him back to sleep. He cried for appx 40 min. In my arms, fell asleep for a moment then woke back up so I fed him, then he slept about 2 hours which is better than the 1.5 hrs he's been going after the initial waking but it was about every 1.5-2 hrs after like usual. Should I tackle one waking at a time, or try to fix them all at once?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 02:34:42 am »
It depends on what you can be consistent on.  I think you'll probably see progress faster if you tackle them all at the same time, but sometimes that's just too much of a demand on you. 

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 20:57:53 pm »
I think I may have figured out the problem, and its a hard one... I noticed the past few days that during some of his naps his stomach will start growling towards the end, then last night I decided when he woke up I would try giving him a full feed instead of just one breast because usually he'll empty the one breast and I give him his pacifier and go back to sleep but he never usually eats for just a moment and falls asleep as if only sucking for comfort. After a full feed (ok almost full feed, i was exhausted but i gave both breasts) at 1:45 he slept until 4:45!! So it's only 3 hours but its FAR from the 1.5-2 hours of sleep! So when he wakes now I'm going to give him a real full feed so that if he goes to bed at 8 and sleeps his regular 3-4 hours eats about 12 and makes it to 3 and then 6 to wake up that's only 2 night wakings rather than 6! So anyways my issue at this point lies with how can I get him to eat more during the day to get in those calories instead of feeding round the clock? His schedule includes 6 bfs during the day (2 of which are between his last nap and bedtime), 3 meals of solids, and 2 feeds at night if he continues like last night or up to 4-5 partial feeds if he's being difficult...

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 23:30:41 pm »
Can you post your feed times?  I think if I see them all written out we can figure out how better to stuff some more calories into him. :)

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 00:25:09 am »
Nurses at 6:00, 8:30, 12:00, 3:30, 7:00, 8:15 (nights at roughly 12 and 3am)
Solids at 10:00, 2:00, 7:15 (occasionally if he's grumpy or super tired one of these gets replaces with an extra bf rather than solids)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 01:37:38 am »
Is he taking a lot in solids or just a little bit?
How is he doing with stretching longer between his feedings?  If it were me, I might try pushing your solids and BFs a little bit closer together (like do solids an hour after you nurse) and then trying to get to a full 4 hours between nursings -- so if he's nursing at 8:30 (which is when you're starting your day, right?), do solids at 9:30 and then bf again around 12:30, solids around 1:30, bf at 4:30, solids at 5:30 and then if you want to cluster, try it at 7 and then 8:15 -- or just try holding out until around 8 -- some babies really feed better with longer intervals between their feeds.  Do you think that might work for you?  Otherwise, we can come up with something else instead. 

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 16:55:11 pm »
I'll try that for a few days! My main concern is that he'll get hungry during his nap and wake up but I'll never know unless I try it out.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 17:04:16 pm »
My main concern is that he'll get hungry during his nap and wake up but I'll never know unless I try it out.
I know, it's a scary leap to take!  Give it a shot and see where it gets you.  If not, we'll try tweaking some more and see what comes of it.

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 19:25:33 pm »
Well so the feedings have been going good, he eats 1 hr after nursing during the day and nurses fully when I nurse him at night. It's not working  ??? The past 3-4 nights he wakes multiple times per hour. He sleeps from 8 until 12, then he's up at 1, 1:15, 2:00, 2:30, 2:45, 3:15 and it goes on like this the rest of the night until 6:00. He still gets up at 6, has a nap around 7:15 for 45 min but if I can get him to 7:30 hell nap 1.5 hrs. His naps are still consistent he stay up appx 2 hrs and naps 1.5 hrs. The past few days when he wakes at night I'm so groggy that when he wakes I assume its been a few hours so I start feeding him then after only a moment realize its just been 15 min. But when I stop feeding him he's already asleep... He will NOT resettle himself laying down anymore. What happened!? I'm so confused as to what happened to my child... I've tried changing some things, I've tried changing nothing, I've tried changing everything... Went back to the pediatrician but there's nothing wrong. He still suggests cc...

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 02:09:29 am »
Oh ugh, that's awful!
Have you ruled out any sort of discomfort as a possibility -- I know you saw that doctor, but maybe teeth? 

Is he going to sleep completely independently?

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 16:24:06 pm »
I'm thinking teeth have started now. Last night he had a low fever and runny nose. And I was thinking maybe the last week with his awful wakings was because daddy is working on a project so he's been working late most nights and weekends and he's not here. Which has kind of messed up the bedtime routine. I'm trying to keep it consistent but its not the same. He's not falling asleep completely independent. I'm there when he falls asleep but I'm also there when he wakes. He usually falls asleep with no help though... No patting or shushing he just drifts off on his own. He's in our bed so when he goes to sleep I sleep next to him

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 02:29:50 am »
I'm thinking teeth have started now. Last night he had a low fever and runny nose. And I was thinking maybe the last week with his awful wakings was because daddy is working on a project so he's been working late most nights and weekends and he's not here.
Poor little guy!  From experience, I can say that teeth moving around under their gums always bothered my ds more than when they actually broke through.  If you do any type of teething meds, you can give them a little bit before bed to help him settle a little bit more easily.  Sometimes I think the first ones are harder than the next few -- my ds and dd2 had a rough time with the first few and then were fine with the next bunch (until we got to molars and canines!) -- just such a new sensation for them!

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 21:27:44 pm »
I'm fairly convinced that's what it is at this point. He's been sleeping a little longer but it's only back up to about an hour after the initial 4. But now he wakes up screaming bloody murder! I haven't been feeding at every waking because he's just been using it lately to fall asleep which he's never done before. As much as I don't want to load him with meds he just seems in pain at night. I did recently discover a non medicated teething ointment I put on his teethers during the day, maybe I'll put some at the base of his paci at night so it makes his gums better...

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 02:35:51 am »
Definitely give it a shot.   Are these his first teeth?  Sometimes those are some of the hardest, just such a new sensation for them!

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 22:06:01 pm »
Yes they're his first. And it looks like both of the bottom 2 are coming together...

He's getting back on track sleeping lately. He now sleeps 8-10pm wakes up upset but I can calm him easily,  sleeps again from 10-12 so once we close this gap hell be set, nurses around 12 then sleeps until around 4am and nurses, then sleeps until about 5:45. I'm hoping to get him only nursing once around 1. So I'm trying to push his 12:00 feed without upsetting him too much but if I try to push the 4am feed he stays up for about an hour. So I'd rather feed him and he gets his rest than have everyone up that early

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 01:36:39 am »
So I'd rather feed him and he gets his rest than have everyone up that early
Yes, this is exactly what I always did with mine! 

It sounds like your making progress!  Hopefully once these first teeth stop bothering him, your nights will continue to improve!

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 02:50:15 am »
I've got it! Who would have thought! I accidentally put him to bed an hour later than his regular bedtime, we had a busy day and got home exhausted but it was way to early for bed but to late for a nap so I gave him a short nap and pushed back bedtime, he slept 6 hours!!!! Then only woke up one other time before morning! So I pushed his bedtime the next night, he woke once after 2 hours then slept all the way through. I woke up before he did! I honestly thought something was wrong until I saw him sleeping peacefully. He may be going to bed later but he gets so much more rest sleeping long stretches rather than waking every hour or so! He's much happier and so am I!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 23:02:29 pm »
Yay!  Glad you found something that works! 

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 21:01:20 pm »
Just an update, his sleep is still going great after putting him to bed later! Sleeps for 5 hours straight, eats then sleeps another 6 hrs. For those struggling with trying everything they can think of, it does get better! Maybe putting your lo's down a bit later could help.