Author Topic: Help! Baby cries all night!  (Read 1216 times)

Offline mmccole

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 21, 2013, 10:59:09 am »
Hi there
New to this forum and really need help ive been trailing the internet for weeks for a solution to my almost 10 month olds night wakings! She has never slept through the night but recently she wakes up screaming and wont settle for hours no matter what we try, here is a bit about her…
She is almost 10 months old
She usually wakes for a feed around 5-6am then back to sleep for an hour or 2. Washed and ready then breakfast at 9am. She usually gets tired again around 10am but fights sleep sometimes for up to 2 hours. She wont fall asleep on her own so I usually cuddle her to sleep with a dummy but it doesn’t always work, and if it does she will only ever sleep for 20 mins. Lunch is at 1pm then maybe another 20 min nap around 2-3pm dinner is at 5pm. We do all different activities in-between these like swimming, sensory classes etc and she is at nursery 2 days per week.
Bed time routine starts at 7.30pm with a bath then story, bottle and she usually falls asleep in my arms with this bottle.
She is only bottle fed.
She can start waking up from 10pm, sometimes she cries and settles back down herself (not often!), sometimes I get away with putting her dummy in and giving her her taggy (comforter) and she will go back to sleep. This can happen up to 10 times per night. However over the past few weeks she now wakes up crying and wont settle. She has a tantrum if I try to put her dummy back in or cuddle her back to sleep. She can be up for hours at a time just crying and generally really upset. I have even tried taking her into our bed out of desperation (which I never intended to do ) but she still wont settle.
I tried the walk in walk out method but she never stops crying for me to leave! Shh and pat doesn’t work either.
She may be teething as she only has 2 teeth but she wears an amber necklace, and I always apply calgel before sleep too. She has a dummy which she just takes out and throws now and a taggy blanket to cuddle.

As I said she has never slept through and I am back at work now too so its exhausting, especially as she is always so upset during the night. I did think it was separation anxiety as I am back at work now but even when I am in the room and try to comfort her she is still upset!
Any help greatly appreciated
thanx

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: Help! Baby cries all night!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 01:36:28 am »
Hi there and welcome!

hugs for all of the nw's.  That sounds really rough for both of you.  There's a lot that's going on with babies this age, as you mention teeth, SA, and I'm sure that there is probably some developmental things (pulling up, crawling, walking, etc.) happening too. 

In reviewing your routine I'm thinking that your LO is over tired.  Usually babies this age can be up for 3-4 hrs
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!.  Would you consider putting her down for a nap sooner - say either 3.5 or 3.75 hrs after she wakes rather than at a set time?  Her 2nd nap should also occur roughly 3.5 or 3.75 hrs after she wakes from her first nap.  Hopefully with a shorter "A" time, she will be less OT and not fight naps and night time sleep.  I would try this routine for 3-4 days to see how thing go.  Depending on things go, we may have to be tweaked again. 

Both you and your DD will benefit from some sleep training so she can learn to self settle and sleep independently.  I would do this gradually so that she can adjust to doing things differently.  You can use the paci and cuddle her until she's calm and drowsy.  I would then put her in her crib and either keep your hand on her so she knows that you are there.  If she becomes upset (not a settling mantra cry), I would pick her up, calm her and then once calm, put her back in the crib.  This will likely be hard since this is a change from what she's expecting.  Note, that while you don't want to leave her if she's crying and upset, you also don't want to interfere with her if she's trying to settle herself.

HTH