Author Topic: Baby wakes up constantly  (Read 6221 times)

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 19:25:33 pm »
Well so the feedings have been going good, he eats 1 hr after nursing during the day and nurses fully when I nurse him at night. It's not working  ??? The past 3-4 nights he wakes multiple times per hour. He sleeps from 8 until 12, then he's up at 1, 1:15, 2:00, 2:30, 2:45, 3:15 and it goes on like this the rest of the night until 6:00. He still gets up at 6, has a nap around 7:15 for 45 min but if I can get him to 7:30 hell nap 1.5 hrs. His naps are still consistent he stay up appx 2 hrs and naps 1.5 hrs. The past few days when he wakes at night I'm so groggy that when he wakes I assume its been a few hours so I start feeding him then after only a moment realize its just been 15 min. But when I stop feeding him he's already asleep... He will NOT resettle himself laying down anymore. What happened!? I'm so confused as to what happened to my child... I've tried changing some things, I've tried changing nothing, I've tried changing everything... Went back to the pediatrician but there's nothing wrong. He still suggests cc...

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Baby wakes up constantly
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 02:09:29 am »
Oh ugh, that's awful!
Have you ruled out any sort of discomfort as a possibility -- I know you saw that doctor, but maybe teeth? 

Is he going to sleep completely independently?

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 16:24:06 pm »
I'm thinking teeth have started now. Last night he had a low fever and runny nose. And I was thinking maybe the last week with his awful wakings was because daddy is working on a project so he's been working late most nights and weekends and he's not here. Which has kind of messed up the bedtime routine. I'm trying to keep it consistent but its not the same. He's not falling asleep completely independent. I'm there when he falls asleep but I'm also there when he wakes. He usually falls asleep with no help though... No patting or shushing he just drifts off on his own. He's in our bed so when he goes to sleep I sleep next to him

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 02:29:50 am »
I'm thinking teeth have started now. Last night he had a low fever and runny nose. And I was thinking maybe the last week with his awful wakings was because daddy is working on a project so he's been working late most nights and weekends and he's not here.
Poor little guy!  From experience, I can say that teeth moving around under their gums always bothered my ds more than when they actually broke through.  If you do any type of teething meds, you can give them a little bit before bed to help him settle a little bit more easily.  Sometimes I think the first ones are harder than the next few -- my ds and dd2 had a rough time with the first few and then were fine with the next bunch (until we got to molars and canines!) -- just such a new sensation for them!

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 21:27:44 pm »
I'm fairly convinced that's what it is at this point. He's been sleeping a little longer but it's only back up to about an hour after the initial 4. But now he wakes up screaming bloody murder! I haven't been feeding at every waking because he's just been using it lately to fall asleep which he's never done before. As much as I don't want to load him with meds he just seems in pain at night. I did recently discover a non medicated teething ointment I put on his teethers during the day, maybe I'll put some at the base of his paci at night so it makes his gums better...

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 02:35:51 am »
Definitely give it a shot.   Are these his first teeth?  Sometimes those are some of the hardest, just such a new sensation for them!

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 22:06:01 pm »
Yes they're his first. And it looks like both of the bottom 2 are coming together...

He's getting back on track sleeping lately. He now sleeps 8-10pm wakes up upset but I can calm him easily,  sleeps again from 10-12 so once we close this gap hell be set, nurses around 12 then sleeps until around 4am and nurses, then sleeps until about 5:45. I'm hoping to get him only nursing once around 1. So I'm trying to push his 12:00 feed without upsetting him too much but if I try to push the 4am feed he stays up for about an hour. So I'd rather feed him and he gets his rest than have everyone up that early

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 01:36:39 am »
So I'd rather feed him and he gets his rest than have everyone up that early
Yes, this is exactly what I always did with mine! 

It sounds like your making progress!  Hopefully once these first teeth stop bothering him, your nights will continue to improve!

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 02:50:15 am »
I've got it! Who would have thought! I accidentally put him to bed an hour later than his regular bedtime, we had a busy day and got home exhausted but it was way to early for bed but to late for a nap so I gave him a short nap and pushed back bedtime, he slept 6 hours!!!! Then only woke up one other time before morning! So I pushed his bedtime the next night, he woke once after 2 hours then slept all the way through. I woke up before he did! I honestly thought something was wrong until I saw him sleeping peacefully. He may be going to bed later but he gets so much more rest sleeping long stretches rather than waking every hour or so! He's much happier and so am I!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 23:02:29 pm »
Yay!  Glad you found something that works! 

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 21:01:20 pm »
Just an update, his sleep is still going great after putting him to bed later! Sleeps for 5 hours straight, eats then sleeps another 6 hrs. For those struggling with trying everything they can think of, it does get better! Maybe putting your lo's down a bit later could help.