Author Topic: 9.5 month old refusing breast and bottle  (Read 846 times)

Offline Mom2Sam7312

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 23, 2013, 00:45:17 am »
I have a 9.5 month old boy. He was exclusively breastfed for about 6 months. Sometime after that, I feel that I started to gradually produce less and less milk, and so we've been supplementing w/ formula as needed. He has continued to take less and less, and he will now only breastfeed from the left side and will cry if I even try to offer the right. So as it is right now, I bf in the morning, which he always does fine with. During the day he usually would bf when he woke up from his morning and afternoon nap, and then before bed he gets a bottle of about 1/2 ebm and 1/2 formula, depending on what I could pump. Before bed he usually drinks 6-8 oz. and he sleeps thru the night. He also is eating 3 meals of solids, and he seems to have a pretty big appetite for that. Well, now lately he has been refusing to breastfeed during the day after his naps. I will try and he wants nothing to do with it, then I'll keep trying every 15 min. or so and he is just completely uninterested. If I do get him to breastfeed, again he will only go on the left side. I think I am becoming totally lopsided, lol. He does not want a bottle either. He will suck a few times and then just spit it out and cry if I try to put it back in. I thought maybe it was a teething issue, but this has been going on off and on now for a couple of weeks, and he does not show any of his other usually symptoms of teething. I've tried offering ebm or formula to him in his straw cup but he won't drink it. He will drink water from the straw cup though. But it's as though during the day he just wants nothing to do w/ milk/formula of any kind. Any ideas about what is going on here? I am concerned that he's not getting enough calories and fluid in general, but he seems perfectly happy all day long!

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: 9.5 month old refusing breast and bottle
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 19:02:44 pm »
I think if it were me, I'd dial back on the solids a bit and see if the milk intake increase.  Even at 9.5m, milk should still be the main form of nutrition.
*** Amanda ***