Author Topic: URGENT HELP Needed! 10 week old not taking milk  (Read 1505 times)

Offline fairypk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
URGENT HELP Needed! 10 week old not taking milk
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:40:27 am »
Hi,

For the last 4-5 days DS has become fussy about his milk, he is exclusively FF. I also put him on a pacifier to help him sleep better at night and trying to drop the 4/5am feed since he would take only 2 oz (when I would make 4 oz). This morning at 630am I tried to give him milk but only took 2 oz he woke up at 745am and usually he poops at 8 but hasn't pooped and his diaper wasn't as wet as usual. Tried to give him the rest of the 2 oz when he woke up but he REFUSED just wanting to smile and play etc. I'm now really worried. He will usually take his milk while sleeping (although last night's DF he only took 3 oz as opposed to 4 oz and took 30 mins to drink it).

He has had gas issues so been giving him medicine regularly for last 10 days or so. But am now super worried because since midnight till 930 am he has only had 2-2.5 oz. HELP!

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: URGENT HELP Needed! 10 week old not taking milk
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 05:20:08 am »
I wouldn't worry about only having that little if it was a one off... if he continues to refuse for the rest of the day, we worry.

As for poops - it's fine so long as it is soft when he does go... I wouldn't worry if he skips a day here and there though.

I would not recommend trying to drop any feeds at this age either... it would be totally expected to have a bedtime feed, a dream feed and 2 night feeds.

How is he doing now?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:20:41 am »
Just thought as well - have you increased nipple size recently?  Could be time to move to a faster flow that what you are currently using...

Offline fairypk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:43:01 am »
Thank you for all your help! It was a one off thing during that day. Went to the doctor for a check up and vaccination and he is happy with his weight gain.

Am still trying to get him to take full feed.

We are using Born Free Glass bottles with level 1 teats. Isn't it too early to shift to level 2? He is now 11 weeks

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 03:15:05 am »
Level 2 is for 3 months and up... I would give it a try :)  Just remember that it will take a day or two for baby to adjust to the faster flow...

Many babies will start what seems to be snacking behaviour when all they need is a faster nipple... they get tired trying to drink from the too slow flow and stop... but then are hungry a short time later.

Offline fairypk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 05:06:09 am »
Oh okay thanks Kara for your help! Will try and give it a go in another 10 days or so when he is exactly 3 months. Although he has become much better since my initial post thank God! There are times, like in the morning where he drags his feed on that's also because we don't have a set wake up time

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:27:49 am »
The age guides on the teat packages are just guides! My two were both on level 2 teats by about 6 weeks, you needed to be guided by your baby and not what the package says! Some babies are happy with stage 1 until they start solids, it depends on their suck.

I would just try the next stage, no need to wait!

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 02:37:32 am »
Agree 100% with Laura hun.. he is ready now - give it a go!

Mine was on the 3 month ones by 10 weeks, and the 6 month ones by 5 months.. depends on the baby, not the packaging.

Offline fairypk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 06:10:42 am »
So how can I tell if LO is ready for level 2 teats?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 11:03:39 am »
Really the things you have mentioned - taking longer to finish a feed and taking less than they were is a classic. Getting cross/ frustrated with a feed because the milk isn't coming quickly enough for them is another.

They can take a couple of feeds to adjust to the new teat but feeds should be quicker, better volume and more comfortable with a faster teat.

Laura

Offline fairypk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 07:21:00 am »
Ah I see thanks that makes sense!