Author Topic: Heating milk mpi  (Read 1893 times)

Offline My little Liam

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
Heating milk mpi
« on: April 23, 2013, 07:32:11 am »
I heard that heating milk can help some LO's with slight intolerances digest it. Is that true? How much should I heat it? How should I heat it? I have always bf so I don't really know how to heat formula and such...

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Heating milk mpi
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 22:01:16 pm »
I guess you mean cows milk?

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 05:04:08 am »
Yes

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 05:14:26 am »
Heat to 72F and then cool... it will break down the casein protein somewhat.  If bubs is MSPI or MPI - this likely won't work though until the reaction is quite minimal normally...

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 08:24:35 am »
He gets stomachs aches and gassy when drinking milk. No problem with yogurt and cheese so far... Do you think it could work for us?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 04:23:02 am »
Could be worth a shot!  If not, chances are he will outgrow the issues by the age of 3 ;)  My DD is exactly the same as him and is fine with a few ounces every few days now at 2.5 yrs.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 06:49:10 am »
Sounds a bit odd.  In the UK anyway, milk is heated to 72oC minimum to be pasteurised (which is 161F), higher if you're going for sterilised milk.  Can kids with slight intolerances handle sterilised milk better than pasteurised?  I can't see why heating it again makes any difference?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 06:50:37 am »
Just a thought, if cheese and yoghurt are tolerated, could it be lactose intolerance rather than MPI?  Hard cheeses especially have very low lactose.  Have you tried Lactofree (or there might be a similar product in Belgium?)
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 02:14:35 am »
could it be lactose intolerance rather than MPI?

Unlikely given that mom BFd... highest lactose in any milk there is ;)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 05:26:14 am »
Ah good point!!!  But I don't understand from a scientific point of view how the heating could work.   I could understand if it was heated to a very high temperature and held for a while to denature the proteins but 72F is so much lower than pasteurisation temperature it seems strange and unlikely to do the job.  I don't understand if it's MPI why cheese and yoghurt could be ok either.

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 16:34:32 pm »
I am bf and to tell you the truth maybe it is lactose intolerance, I don't know. When he was younger I did a dairy free diet and it helped probably 95 percent with the eczema but I never was able to totally get rid of the mucusy poos. Now that he is eating solids I can't really see any mucus anymore so I don't know. I guess I will never know if its lactose until I stop bf. I thought that lactose intolerance in babies was very uncommon though?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 01:46:02 am »
I know what you mean LT, it doesn't make sense given that the pasteurization process is much higher temp.. but it seems to do the trick for LOs who are outgrowing their MPI already... full blown MPI - it won't make any difference.

When he was younger I did a dairy free diet and it helped probably 95 percent with the eczema but I never was able to totally get rid of the mucusy poos.

Lactose intolerance doesn't generally cause eczema or mucous - both are MPI/MSPI symptoms.  Did you do a complete dairy/soy elimination including hidden sources?  Things like bread etc almost always contain dairy and/or soy...  If you didn't do a 100% elimination, the trace bits you got from hidden sources would have been causing the mucous and bit of eczema that remained.

Now that he is over a year old, he will start to outgrow the MPI/MSPI fairly quickly in phases... you will see he is fine with things like yogurt/cheese (the proteins aren't as strong as they are in cow's milk)... and then over time, he will be fine with more and more cow's milk as well.  My DD is sensitive to casein specifically, and she was unable to have even 3 ozs at a year of age without waking screaming from naps and having cryouts all night... now, at 2.5yrs, she can have a 4 oz serving every couple of days without too much trouble..