Author Topic: 5.5 month old waking every 2 h at night  (Read 1509 times)

Offline amom526

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:21:13 am »
So confused....

Ds2 has been an ok night time sleeper until recently. he has been waking every 1h 40 min at night after his first stretch of sleep which is about 3-4 hours. I honestly don't know what to do. He is able to fall asleep without nursing, but nursing has been the only thing that can calm him down in the middle of the night. I don't think it is a growth spurt, because he is waking like clockwork every hour 45. Sometes hell take a full feeding, other times just nurse a little and fall asleep. We have tried shh pat for half hour and he won't calm down.(other times he falls asleep with 5-10,min of it). We've tried pu pd also but he just cries harder and it's too heartbreaking.

I know his day is not perfect, but he's a horrible napper and I need to work around my toddlers schedule. He used to be able to transition through sleep cycles at night, but it seems he has lost that capability. He cannot transition at all during the day, and all naps of longer than 45 minutes have been in the swing. He wakes happy after 45 minutes most of the time, but I can almost never resettle. He usually ends up taking 3 short naps, and one longer nap a day. Sometimes it's 4 short naps. He seems to need to nurse to calm down in the nigjt and I'm not sure what to do.

Current easy is something like this:
Wu: 630
E: 715
S: 845-930 can't pd any earlier than this cause need to drop off ds
E:10
S: 11-1145
E: 12 or 1245 (need to pick up ds in between)
S: 115/130-3 i resort to all sorts of ap to extend this nap(not nursing, usually rocking or swing) and am usually successful.
E:3
Cn: 445-515 also ap a lot of the time
E: 530
BT: 630 ( usually try for another feeding here but he is too tired to wait for milk to let down)

He usually calmly goes into his crib, used to just fall asleep. Now he'll play quietly for a little while, start getting fussy, eventually escalate, and then I will nurse him around 7 or 715 and after that he goes right back to sleep. He is ebf.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 5.5 month old waking every 2 h at night
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 04:17:37 am »
S: 845-930 can't pd any earlier than this cause need to drop off ds
I'd try PD 15min later and see if that helps. At this age, he could be getting pretty close to 3hr A time: All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

Night wakings will probably come good once your routine fits his needs better. What are your school, run times and how long are you out for? Hopefully we should be able to help you work out a routine that fits around it.

Offline amom526

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 20:51:33 pm »
I do think his A times are really off but he gets so OT and barely ever gets a good nap. I do feel like I put him in too early a lot of the time because I am terrified of getting stuck in an OT loop. generally I aim for a 1.5 hour A time after a 45 minute nap, and a 2 hour A time after a longer nap which barely ever happens. but I do see tha he is able to stay up for longer than 2 hours after a good nap.

I am out of the house for about 15 minutes. Drop off at 840 and pick up at 1230. my other problem Is that he does not have a consistent wake time. A lot of mornings I need to put him in for a cat nap before I even leave to drop off my older one.

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 08:25:09 am »
my other problem Is that he does not have a consistent wake time. A lot of mornings I need to put him in for a cat nap before I even leave to drop off my older one.
What's his wakeup range? What time is bedtime?

Offline amom526

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 13:16:49 pm »
He wakes up usually between 6 and 715. bedtime is usually 630. Maybe I should try and post in EASY, since his whole EASY is really off. Last night he had a fairly good night - fell asleep 645, woke up at 1015 and 245 to eat and 630 WU. But he was exhausted by 8 am, and when I got him down at 835 he was already way OT - just woke up screaming at 30 minutes.

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 00:59:56 am »
Ok, so 2hr has him waking OT? Is that a big difference from what he was doing? Can you resettle those?

When DS was around this age and older, I just tended to work out what would be a good routine for him now, resettle OT wakings for the first 3-4 days and he'd be in the new routine and I could tweak here and there if needed.