Author Topic: 7.5 Month Old formula intake reducing... help?  (Read 3183 times)

Offline syoung

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7.5 Month Old formula intake reducing... help?
« on: April 27, 2013, 23:41:53 pm »
My 7.5 month old baby girl has always been one who eats bare minimum on the scale of what is a typical milk intake for babies her age.  I'm not sure she has ever averaged 30oz in one week lol! In saying that, her pediatrician is pleased with height and weight, both being just above the 50%.  Typical intake at 4-5 months was 25 oz max. Since starting solids at 5 months, which is LOVES, I've seen a slow decrease in milk, which I understand is normal.  However, I've noticed that she's been refusing her bottles more consistently.  First bottle of the morning, she has no problem with, taking a full 6 oz. Bedtime usually being the same.  But every other bottle there is a struggle.  We still do a dream feed which brings us to an total average of 20-22oz.  But there are some days she only drinks 16-18oz totally!!!! Scares me a little. 

Here's her schedule:

7:30 - Wake (she will not and has not eaten first thing in the morning since 3-4 months)
8:30/9 - Milk (6oz)
10:30 - Solids
1pm - Milk (4-6oz but often refuses)
4:30 - Milk (4-6oz but drinks less or complete refuses)
5:30 - Solids
7:30 - Milk (6oz)
10.30pm - D/F (5-6oz) Wanting to drop this eventually as she is of age to do so, but fearful since her milk intake seems so low

Am I over-thinking this?  Or it is this just a first time mom worrying too much lol!Any insight on this would be a help!

THANKS

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: 7.5 Month Old formula intake reducing... help?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 00:03:57 am »
Could be that she is holding out for solids.. and the best remedy for that is to cut them down.

How much does she take in and what does she have in terms of solids?

Also, I would offer an 8oz bottle and see if she will take more in the AM for that first bottle as well as her BT bottle.  Offer solids an hour after the milk and if she isn't interested then, skip them.

I would be nervous of her milk intake going below 20 ozs at this age, and would prefer it stay around 24 ozs to be honest.

Offline clairew11

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 19:12:31 pm »
I think it depends, get her weighed, drop her to 3 and see how she does, aslong as she gains weight still then you know best. Charlie is 7 months and I am dropping to 3 bottles, well going to try, he has sr, never been a big milk drinker and paed told us to power on with solids and aslong as he gets between 15-20oz of milk inc dairy then they aren't worried at all x

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 03:39:30 am »
A baby with silent reflux is a special case and we always recommend following the advice of your doctor; however, dropping below 24 ozs of formula at this age is a sign that solids are too much... milk is the single most important food source for any baby until the age of 1.  Solids before this age are for learning first and nutrition second.

Weight gain should not be the sole source of information when assessing the health of your baby.