Author Topic: weaning a reluxy baby - need advice on easy and milk qty  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Lou'sMum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
weaning a reluxy baby - need advice on easy and milk qty
« on: April 28, 2013, 09:53:42 am »
Hi all,

Wee bit of background... DS2 is 34 weeks and until recently was mostly a happy spitter (medium mouthfuls all day, but not bothering him too much). Been on Neocate for suspected MSPI since 8 weeks (spitting up way more with neocate, is that coz its thinner?) and he had been doing fine but started to get fussy and seemed bothered by the spit ups, more wet burps, choking, hiccups etc about a month ago so GP gave us ranitidine (zantac). This is helping and we don't feel like we need to do any further meds, which is great.

I am totally at a loss with weaning this one though! Because he chucks up all day I'm scared to feed him too much, don't know when is best to feed him, what to feed him. We waited till 6 months and so far he eats carrot, turnip, pear, apple, avocado, fine with eggs. I'd love to be able to cook everything for him myself but I don't have the time. We are going through some allergy/reflux issues with DS1 just now and I'm so nervous about DS2 reacting to foods. I thought second time round would be easier, but I'm freaking out a bit!

At tho mo this is our EASY

Wake 6.30
7 - 6oz milk
7.30/7.45 - breckie
9.30 - 11 - nap
11.30 - 6oz milk
12/12.15 - lunch
1.30 - 3 nap
3 - 6oz milk
7 - 8 oz milk

I feel like all i'm doing is keeping his belly full sometimes and i'm not sure how to introduce even more i.e. dinner. What should my schedule be like? Should I cut the milk feeds down more, or cut a feed out all together?

As far as allergies/sensitivities go am I ok for gluten now? Why oh why am I struggling with this... ??   ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

ta v much. xx

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: weaning a reluxy baby - need advice on easy and milk qty
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 18:40:37 pm »
Hi, So he is about 7 months now? I would be heading for a bit of dinner now too so you are up to 3 meals. No rush though if you just started at 6 months. I think it was about 6 weeks after that Olly was up to 3 meals a day with 4 milk feeds.

Maybe try and introduce some meats too? Chicken or beef?

If you have tried eggs already then that is one potential allergen out of the way!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 18:56:18 pm »
Re the spitting up how thick are the purees you are giving him? Some LOs who spill a lot need quite thick puréed so not runny.

A few reflux safe foods for this age are
- pumpkin/squash
- yams
-sweet potato ( good finger food cooked in chip size pieces)
- puréed blueberries
- mango, paw paw, peach - as with apple you need to trial these 1 by one as some LOs reflux to some fruits
- chicken broth is great for the gut. As BB says add a little chicken or beef.
- salmon

You could try some rice cerial at this stage if you wanted too.

Is LOs poops ok? No constipation?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 19:11:36 pm by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Lou'sMum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:26:43 am »
Hi all, thanks for replying.

LO's poos tend to be ok most of the time. Occasionally sways one way or the other but is usually fine. I think becuase of his bros symptoms I constantly scrutinize things and should learn to chill out a bit.

My big fear is that I overfeed him putting more pressure on his belly. DS1 was v rarely sick, so this is new to me. He is a big lump of a lad though, and I'm not sure if i'm giving him enough. What are average qtys of solids for a baby of his size (can't think of weight just now but he's busting out of his 9-12 month clothes!)

I have some more general refluxy questions (like I say, this guy is such a different refluxer from his bother) but will post over in the reflux board.

thanks for listening! x

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:47:14 am »
My almost 7 mth old scoffs too so I have to regulate his intake. Maybe cut back a little if you think he is having too much for his tum to handle. Or try a smaller dinner... Is hard to know what is normal. All LOs are so different :-*
***Sara***

Offline Lou'sMum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:59:31 am »
Haha, yes I too regulate what my LO eats, but he gets very frustrated and demands more! I'll play it by ear and hopefully we can get a happy medium. x

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 02:49:25 am »
What about giving him something after the meal, either a finger food, or the spoon ??? X
***Sara***