Author Topic: Feeding after tummy bug 7mo  (Read 1238 times)

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Feeding after tummy bug 7mo
« on: April 29, 2013, 15:43:16 pm »
Hi there, my DS turned 7 months on the 26th. Unfortunately the day after he got a tummy bug :( he started vomiting late at night on Thursday and couldn't keep much down for the day after.
GP said as long as his temp didn't go over 38, he had wet nappies and didn't have a dry mouth then he was fine and to keep offering him small sips of milk, no solids.
So now nearly 5 days on he has no temp and seems a lot happier in himself but still not taking much. He can only really take 2-3oz at milk at once or he vomits. I have to leave a good half hour break before offering more. Also I have offered some very bland solids like mashed banana, avocado, apple purée but he seems to vomit that back up after about 15-20mins so wondering what to do? Before he got sick he was taking 4x8oz bottles a day (no NFs) and 3 meals of between 4-6oz. Last weight at 29 weeks was 8.43kg so he has enough spare but just worried I might not be offering the right stuff to help him get better seeing as its now 5 days on? Also don't want the 2-3oz formula every hour or two to turn him into a snacked!
Any advice appreciated!

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Feeding after tummy bug 7mo
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:10:47 am »
I would drop solids until his tummy is better and his milk intake is back up to at least 24 ozs.. .if he is bringing solids up, his belly isn't ready for it yet.

It could take a week-10 days at least and could go as long as a few weeks... Don't worry about snacking right now.

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:08:00 am »
Thanks Kara, think a few more days then as he only took 15oz yday. When he is taking 24ozs should I reintroduce the solids one meal at a time like at the start? So breakfast for a couple of days, then add lunch etc?

Offline Sweetpeajanet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:54:38 am »
After my DD was sick around the same age I was advised to dilute the milk with cooled boiled water so it is easier to digest. Here is Australia we have hydralyte, I'm sure you have something similar. Premade hydration drink that I used to give her frequently in small quantities. Toast, dry biscuits, plain boiled pasta. I remember it took her a full week to week and a half to get back to normal. She did lose weight but then in gradually came back again. It's tough when they are so little. Hugs

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 02:41:34 am »
I would speak to your doctor before diluting formula... my daughter was in the hospital at 8 months and we were told to feed smaller amounts more frequently until she felt better... much like when you are sick/recovering yourself - you may not eat much at a time, but eat little bits here and there :)

You could add a bit of extra water (ie, make a 4 oz bottle but use enough water to make a 5 oz feed) to get extra liquid into him until he is feeling a bit better.

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 20:21:59 pm »
Thanks...he is definitely on the mend, took 26ozs today so will try porridge in the morning and just go slow. Sweetpeajanet it is horrible isnt it! I thought I had been used to vomiting as he had mild reflux when younger but this really wasn't nice. But, getting better now :)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 03:42:00 am »
So good to hear he is getting a bit better!  I would still give it a day or two to make sure that tummy is feeling better :)