Author Topic: Milk sensitivity in (almost) 1yo?  (Read 9058 times)

Offline SukieCat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Milk sensitivity in (almost) 1yo?
« on: April 12, 2013, 15:00:23 pm »
Hi - My DS will be 1 on April 23rd.  He's been sleeping like a champ for the past few months.  He often sleeps straight through 7:30pm - 8am and he takes two good naps during the day.  I started mixing in a little bit of cow's milk with his formula bottles recently to get him used to the taste.  Since then (about a week ago), he's had two nights where he's gotten up in the middle of the night and been crying really hard.  I can't remember the last time he did this before I started him on milk.  It seems like too much of a coincidence - could he have a milk sensitivity?  He's happy during the day, and so far naps have not been affected.  He's been spitting up a bit more than usual since I started him on milk, but it is by no means a lot (he was a very spitty infant). 

My other thoughts were that he's just learning to stand up / walk, so maybe he is waking himself up practicing and is then mad about being awake (I don't have a video monitor so I don't know what he's doing in there until I go in).  Or he could be teething.

When he gets up I change him, feed him a few ounces of formula, and give him tylenol.  He calms while I'm holding him but cries (hard) as soon as I start to put him down.  Does that sound like a food issue?  What should I do?

Thank you!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Milk sensitivity in (almost) 1yo?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 16:26:38 pm »
Hi, is he on a normal formula? Not a formula for cow's milk protein intolerance? If he is on a normal formula Iwould have though it unlikely to have a milk allergy. He could be having a bit of adjustment to the milk but it could be any number of things as you have said. ???

Offline SukieCat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 17:46:58 pm »
Yes, he is on regular, milk-based formula.  I thought there might be something different about drinking straight-up milk, but I'm glad to hear you think it's unlikely that that's the issue.  I really have no idea what's going on with him.  I hope it's just a little phase.   :-\

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 18:31:18 pm »
I wouldn't say rule out a bt of a sensitivity but it won't be an allergy. Maybe stop the milk for a bit and see if he improves, then reintroduce again. If he reacts the same way he could be sensitive.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 02:18:18 am »
Sorry BB ;)  I disagree... it could totally still be a milk issue.  My DD was on a milk-based formula with no issues at all from birth.. she still has troubles with milk at 29 months.  Which formula are you using now hun?

She is fine with all dairy, but cannot have cow's milk... our reaction was exactly like yours.

Easiest way to figure it out - stop giving it to him for a couple of weeks, then try again with mixing it (I would start with a decent mix of 50/50 so you know quickly).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:20:18 am by *Kara* »

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 13:27:51 pm »
It might be teeth tbh or developmental leaps.  Perhaps try the milk again in a few weeks to take that out of the equation.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 15:32:59 pm »
Just saying it won't be an allergy as there would be other symptoms like vomiting, hives etc x

Kara, what do you mean when you say your LO can have dairy but not cows milk? Just to clarify  :)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 20:20:47 pm »
I have to admit my gut feel is probably teeth or developmental leaps at this age.  These are things that every child goes through whereas milk intolerance or allergy is a common allergy but still rare in the big scheme of things.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline SukieCat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 22:05:54 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone!  We had another rough night last night.  It's the third time since we started milk (a week+ ago).  He woke around 1:30am.  I thought I was going to have to go in to help him back to sleep, but after about 10 min of crying he settled down on his own (I was in the middle of preparing a bottle when I heard him going back to sleep).  I haven't cut out the milk yet since I thought it was unlikely to be the culprit.  Now I'm reconsidering...

The formula we've been using is Gerber Good Start Gentle.  I've always thought that he has somewhat sensitive digestion and we tried a bunch of different formulas before settling on Gerber (he was EBF until about 4 months, then a mix of BF and formula until 10 mo, then FF only).  Right now I'm giving him bottles that around about 1/3 milk to 2/3 formula.

He's had a bit of a rash develop over the past couple days along his back where the top of his diaper rubs on his back.  It looks like heat rash to me, little raised red bumps, and I figured his skin just got irritated from rubbing on the diaper.  Could it actually be from the milk?  ???

I've been trying to look at his teeth/gums but he doesn't like to let me look.  I think I see one of his upper canines working it's way out, but it's hard to tell.  He's been gumming on everything recently, so it certainly could be teething. 

He is really working on standing/walking right now, so it could be that waking him up.  I try to give him lots of time to practice during the day.

It's so hard to know what's going on when so much is changing with him all the time!  I just wish I knew how to best help him.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 22:07:39 pm »
The formula we've been using is Gerber Good Start Gentle.

This makes me think you maybe facing casein sensitivity like we are.

Good Start formula is different from all other milk based baby formula - it contains only whey protein whereas all others (breastmilk too) are a blend of whey and casein proteins.  Kids with a protein sensitivity are almost always sensitive to casein and not whey.. so a baby who has had Good Start could well be sensitive to casein and you would never know it.

As for other dairy, the processing involved in making cheese/yogurt etc breaks down the casein proteins and makes them more digestible.  The same is true with cow's milk - some kids will tolerate it if you warm it to 72F and then cool it - this temp causes the casein to break down somewhat...

Given that there is potential teething and walking stuff as well, go back to formula and try again once he is fairly settled with everything else.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 06:14:31 am »
Hi I would remove the milk for a week or two or until this settles down. Then try again and see what happens. X