Author Topic: Every feed reduced at 7.5 months  (Read 1658 times)

Offline confusedmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Every feed reduced at 7.5 months
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:10:26 am »
My DD is hardly eating anything anymore. She is on three meals a day but her milk intake is about 15oz a day including a night feed. She pretty much refuses her first bottle, although will sometimes take 1/2oz but most the time won't even entertain the bottle near her mouth. She then has 1.5 risks mixed with as much formula as I can 40/50ml. I offer her another 3 bottles throughout the day before and after solids (in the hope she will drink more) her second bottle she will usually take 2/3oz then the 3rd maybe 3/4oz and her last 4/5oz. She then has 3oz at night. I was offering her an Ella's kitchen pouch plus yoghurt at lunch then rusk and more milk for tea, but the last couple of days I have moved to BLW for lunch so she is not really eating then either but yet her milk intake hasn't increased.

She has been steadily gaining weight and is just above 50th centile but I really can't se how she is doing this?

I dread feeding times as its always a struggle and I worry so much she isn't eating enough. I have never noticed any kind of growth spurt ever with her. I don't know what else to do. Reducing solids is not increasing milk intake so now I'm stumped and very worried : (

Offline confusedmummy

• Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Every feed reduced at 7.5 months
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 11:57:41 am »
Can I feed her milk feeds (all except night and bedtime as she does ok with these) in a sippy cup? She does well with water from these so I'm thinking maybe she would prefer. I know it's not ideal at her age but I just can't see a way of getting more in her

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 16:42:11 pm »
My DD has NEVER been a big eater.... she is the same age and her Formula intake is around 22oz per day (inlcuding what I mix in her infant cereal twice a day). She too is gaining fine(18lbs). She does love her solids, and I have contemplated dropping a bottle but everyone says no. I figure in another month I will though. I am starting to try more finger foods and moving from purees to lumpy foods. We are only just starting with a sippy cup. BUt if shell drink from it I say go with it.
Melissa

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 05:30:41 am »
There is nothing wrong with feeding from a cup as soon as it's accepted.  If she'd accept it now for at least some feeds it might help later when you need to drop the bottle.

I always thing it's a mixed blessing with formula knowing how much is going in because with BF, you're just very unlikely to notice.  All you can do is check your child is growing and hope for the best!

Tbh, if she's not doing great with the BLW I would move to mashed foods and feeding for now.  Keep offering finger foods alongside anyway as this has always been part of traditional weaning but it doesn't matter if all she does for now is have tastes, it's important for her to have those tastes so she gets a variety of flavours.  I'd also introduce more savoury foods.

I swear some kids live on air!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline clairew11

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 19:11:54 pm »
I think it depends, get her weighed, drop her to 3 and see how she does, aslong as she gains weight still then you know best. Charlie is 7 months and I am dropping to 3 bottles, well going to try, he has sr, never been a big milk drinker and paed told us to power on with solids and aslong as he gets between 15-20oz of milk inc dairy then they aren't worried at all x