Author Topic: Indoor fun ideas with a 2.5 yr old while baby sleeps...  (Read 4625 times)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Indoor fun ideas with a 2.5 yr old while baby sleeps...
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 13:46:33 pm »
We have a similar knife, it just has teeth instead of a sharp surface so is definitely safe. DS also has his own whisk, bowl, spoon and spatula - we love to cook together and the miniamo range is what we have most of. You start out doing it together, hand over hand if appropriate, and can very quickly move on to cook side by side.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 22:10:46 pm »
serrated is the one with teeth.  It is safe, you can rub it along your skin and not get cut. having said that I teach him knife safety so I won't let him do that to his skin, I treat it as though it is SHARP so that when it comes to a sharp knife he will already know the rules and dangers.  I would not allow him to use it alone, or walk around with it, like I wouldn't allow it with a sharp knife.  Up to now (I think we've had this about a year?) I still work with him hand over hand.  he stands on a chair and I stand right beside him, on his left, I put my right arm (we are both right handed) around him and my right hand goes over his right hand on the knife.  I put my left hand over his left hand and show him how to hold the vegetable, ensuring his fingers and thumb are tucked in which is not so easy for LOs just yet.  He puts no pressure on the knife until I tell him to cut, then I feel his muscles and how much he is taking control of the knife (you have to use a sawing action with it but it is surprisingly versatile, accurate).  So it is very much team work at this point for us.  I've seen LOs with similar knives at toddler group not so tightly supervised, just using it themselves but for 2yo or 2.5yo it's a pretty difficult thing to do alone...but I actually want to be this close, I don't want him to know the knife is safe iyswim.  I haven't taught him to keep his hands off the board, instead I have taught him where his hands need to go when chopping, so it is on the food to steady it and out of the way of the knife.  We use a cheese grater and potato peeler in the same way. We also have the duck scissors which are not used so much and not so versatile, we just chop spring onions with them, but the action has really helped him come along with using scissors which he can't quite do but is improving.

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 11:48:25 am »
Thank you, Creations, I am defo going to get the knife and start cooking with him more. So far we are just doing lots of baking.
Do you have a special peeler and grater or you use a normal one with extra caution?
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 14:20:23 pm »
I use this sort of peeler
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/11701292897866224479?q=vegetable%20peeler&client=ubuntu&hs=6Mp&channel=fs&gl=uk&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46340616,d.d2k&biw=1231&bih=903&sa=X&ei=Xf6MUba_NJHY0QW574H4DQ&ved=0CGUQ8wIwAA
As I personally feel more comfortable with it and the blade is smaller and more sort of enclosed than this sort
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/1761203655202975697?q=vegetable%20peeler&client=ubuntu&hs=6Mp&channel=fs&gl=uk&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46340616,d.d2k&biw=1231&bih=903&sa=X&ei=Xf6MUba_NJHY0QW574H4DQ&ved=0CGkQ8wIwAQ

but I didn't buy a peeler especially for DS to use.  In the beginning I used my voice and tone to 'warn' him by saying 'wait, wait' whilst I positioned his little fingers around a carrot (larger is easier) and positioned my fingers around his in hand over hand.  He will sometimes try to let his thumb out for a full around grip but I continue to remind him it needs to be tucked in.  When I position the peeler at the top of the carrot he knows by my voice when to wait and when to 'peel now' and I feel his muscles flex and pull the peeler.

I did buy a grater that clamps to the kitchen unit like this
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15063/I-Can-Cook-Multi-Purpose-Grater-with-Measuring-Jug
Because both LOs hands are used to work it (one pushes down where the cheese goes in, the other cranks the handle) they are out of the way and not at risk of being grated.  However it is very very hard work.  We rarely bother to get it out but I can imagine it being used in the future for things, it grates and slices veg too.
So we just about always use a regular box grater
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/12506500191689464284?q=box%20grater&client=ubuntu&hs=sTp&channel=fs&gl=uk&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46340616,d.d2k&biw=1231&bih=903&sa=X&ei=_v-MUeqTEYWe0QXMhYDIBQ&ved=0CIMBEPMCMAM
He must put his helper hand on top to steady it and use his working hand to grate. Again I do hand over hand and ensure his fingers are tucked under mine so mine would hit the grater first and I continue to remind him to tuck fingers in.  I also ensure we stop grating a little sooner than you would as an adult so there is a good chunk of cheese or carrot etc left being held and his fingers aren't too close to the blades.

There is a great kids TV programme on here called "I can cook".  It really motivates my DS to want to cook. I don't know if you allow screen time but if you do it is worth a look.  There are some good ideas of how to do things in a safer way so for example we 'pop' a pepper (capsicum) and tear or snap it up sometimes rather than use the knife and that works DS's fine motor skills in a different way.
There are some of the shows are youtube and BBCiplayer if you're interested.

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 17:06:45 pm »
Thanks, Creations! You helped me heaps!
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/