Author Topic: How long between bottles at 8 weeks?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline TB9

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
« on: May 06, 2013, 00:33:25 am »
So we've been having some trouble this week getting DD2 to take some of her bottles...she was eating every 3hrs during the day, 4-5oz per feed.  Now she's started eating over 5oz for some of her feeds, and it's been more difficult to get her to take some of her bottles.  Is it time to start extending the time between feeds?   The most difficult feeds to get her to take have been her 5pm, 7pm, dream feed and night feed (usually around 4am, she flat out refuses a feed even though she's woken up when she normally would for the feed).

She's  been sttn from dream feed until 4/5am since 6weeks, and is pretty big for her age...so maybe it is time to extend???

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: How long between bottles at 8 weeks?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:45:22 am »
I would try a 3.5 hr routine :)  FF babies do move to a 4 hr EASY much quicker than BF ones do and many start to extend time between feeds around the 2 month mark...

Not uncommon for clustering to be a big fail either ;)

Offline TB9

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 12:01:15 pm »
Thanks Kara!  We didn't dream feed lastnight because it was just causing trouble the last few nights.  She had a bottle at 7:45pm then didn't want to eat again until 3am, then was up for the day with a 5oz bottle at 7:30am.  This little girl is capable of much more than I thought!  And the best part is she actually ate and didn't try to refuse food :)

I will try to ditch the cluster, since she just gets angry and overtired while I try to get her to eat.

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 13:12:53 pm »
We are on a 3 hr and she is mostly ff fed.  At night she usually eats around 4/4:30 then at 6/6:30.  When I got to bed around 9/10 I feed her (she wakes for this one)  and she usually gets to about 5 am where I either try and resettle or I take her into bed with us till at least 6.  Last night I fed at 4 b/c I was up and my dd1 gets up anywhere between 6 and 7 for the day so a 5 am feed does not work for us but I think dd2 would have made it till 5/6 if I hadn't woken her lol.  I found very early on she was fussing but not truly awake iykwim and that sometimes it was just she lost the pacifier.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 02:54:46 am »
so a 5 am feed does not work for us

This may sound silly, but... why not?  I would assume she is certainly hungry Caroline.. have you tried a feed to see if she would go back to sleep?

Offline TB9

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:32:56 am »
Good news! First day of 3.5hr routine went well :)  She ended up cluster feeding on her own and I dropped the dream feed because she likes to have the first stretch of the night as her longest, so I think the dream feed was just interrupting her best sleep of the night causing some weird nws that weren't hunger related...

Bm - yes, she was doing lots of weird wakeups that could have been paci related, I would resettle her and she would go backto sleep, but she didn't have any of those lastnight, so I'm assuming the dream feed just isn't going to work for her right now.

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:20:30 pm »
Kara not a silly question.  Yes you are right she most likely would go back to sleep but if I feed at 5 it takes her 30 minutes to eat and another 20 minutes to settle and then her sister is up between 6 and 6:45.  The other issue is most days we need to be out of the house by 8:15 the latest which means if she eats at 5 she wouldn't be hungry again till I had to do the school run and her eating times would coincide with both pick up and drop off.  Last night I fed at 9:30 when I went to bed I had to resettles and then she was up at 5:50 so I brought her into bed with me and she fell asleep on my chest as her sister wasn't up yet and I had no desire to have the screaming baby wake her lol.  Sorry to tag onto your post Tink

Offline TB9

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 14:33:19 pm »
No worries!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 03:12:22 am »
That makes total sense BM :)