Author Topic: Argh sunhats  (Read 6830 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Argh sunhats
« on: May 07, 2013, 09:36:40 am »
OK remind me how to keep a sunhat on a very independent minded little girl? She is totally unmoved by Stan, daddy, mummy wearing sun hats, no herd instinct here  ;) ::) . She just shouts no no no no no noooooo!!! and pulls at it and tugs it until it is OFF! Any tips?

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Argh sunhats
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:50:16 am »
Can you put sun cream on instead? What about having her choose a special sun hat with a favourite character on it?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:52:28 am »
She has suncream on for sure too, but I've always understood sun safety to be a hat as well as sun cream, not instead. She's got dark hair so her little head will get very hot?! And could burn her scalp where her part in her hair is? She's doesn't have any favourite characters, doesn't really watch any TV yet (except big brother's Power Rangers, if I take my eye off her for a minute  ::) ::) ::) )

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:05:05 am »
yeah- a hat is ideal.. and the part on the hair is tricky.. Do you stay out of the sun between 11 and 3? do you need to do that there?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:16:26 am »
I remember doing that with M. For 2 days we played outside and the second she took off her hat I said 'oh no, hats on in the sun or we'll have to go inside'. We were in and out like yo YOs but by day 2 she had it. I did it in the park too. Similar, hats on or we sit in the buggy under the shade.

It's funny you forget all these wee phases!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:23:52 am »
With a full head of thick dark hair, I think that adequate sunscreen on her part, as well as adequate sunscreen on her face would be enough.  Even on a blistering hot day in England it's not the same as 30 degrees with blistering hot sun that you get being further south. I'm not saying that the sun does not burn in England or that you can be lax about it, but it's also a bit different than in more southern locations where you go outside and can be scorched within 10-15 minutes iyswim. 

My DH is completely bald, my DS was pretty much bald until 18 months, and both wear appropriately and adequately applied sunscreen and we have no problems. (And summers are much hotter/sunnier here than England, regular days are 30deg, blue sky, no shade, sunny and hot!) Tops of ears, hairline, exposed parts of scalp, eyebrows, eyelids, etc.  The hat helps shield eyes, all of those touch and tricky parts as well that we often miss with sunscreen but if you know she is not going to wear a hat then I think it is just a bit more diligent you have to be with the sunscreen application and some sunglasses for her eyes? 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:45:57 am by Mashi »

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 10:30:48 am »
I agree with Mashi, I mean obviously keep trying with the hat but with due care and shade I think she'd be ok. And could you get a spray sun screen and spray the top of her head? I used to do that, gave them greasy looking hair for a bit though :P
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 10:33:04 am »
And could you get a spray sun screen and spray the top of her head?

This is a good idea!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 14:03:56 pm »
When DS went through that phase last year, I just had to make sure that when he pulled his hat off and threw it away 100 times, I picked it up and put it back on his head 101 times  ::)

It's a chore, but once he realised that the hat had to be on in the sun, he left it on  :)

Now he'll even put his hat on himself  ;D

Kids have fairly thin skulls, so I wouldn't risk only sunscreen on a very bright day, as their heads can overheat rapidly  :(

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 14:21:46 pm »
Tie on hat?  Makes it a bit more difficult to get off - http://www.mamanatura.co.uk/catalog.htm?category=138
*** Amanda ***

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 14:42:30 pm »
When we were visiting NZ/Aus and hats were non- negotiable, I did something similar to Shiv and it didn't take more than a few days for F to get it - no hat, no play. Now that we're back in Asia i'm a bit more lax about it so she has started to baulk at wearing one again, but she does know if she can see her shadow she should be wearing a hat.
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 20:57:38 pm »
yeah- hats are pretty non negotiable here... we may have more of a range of them too...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 21:46:38 pm »
Must be the age Anna, E is exactly the same! We had to buy an age 3-6 years hat to even fit over all her curls & she'll keep it on for maybe 1 minute at most. I was hoping the hair might be enough, but she's blondish and the curls don't cover her whole scalp. Guess perseverance is the answer. Good luck :)
~ Naomi ~