Author Topic: Dairy and constipation - any experience?  (Read 16336 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: Dairy and constipation - any experience?
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2013, 00:07:37 am »
Can I ask a question?

My DS seems to get constipated on cheese. But he seems fine with other dairy (he only gets limited amounts since he drinks goat's milk and is not a fan of yogourt). So many people have told me that it's 'normal' to be constipated on cheese and that it's not a sign of intolerance. Do any of you know if that's the case or if I should remove it from his diet completely (I'm struggling with doing it because his diet is super restricted as it is because of his enzyme deficiency and he loves it so much - I restrict it but have not completely removed it and he is not constipated at the moment)

Also, my DD has a constipation issue but in a weird way because she poos every day, sometimes 2-3 x a day, yet she is still really backed up. Dr did an x-ray to investigate constant tummy ache and found that she was full, full, full.  She's been doing better recently due to change in our family diet because of my DS's issues (removed all processed foods, additives, artificial colourings, etc and reduced grains, removed gluten, and reduced her dairy intake and changed her milk to lactose-free milk) and also I recently added these 'constipation candies'. Obviously she's not a severe case and I still need to monitor closely because she still tends to be constipated but I figured I'd share what worked for us. She was on lax-a-day and I was also uncomfortable with long-term use.

http://therobynnest.wordpress.com/2013/08/17/constipation-candy/
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 00:38:39 am by ENM »
Elise

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2013, 01:48:30 am »
ENM, that's called encopresis when they are backed up but still poo/ have leakage. That's what my DD has.  I am part of a Facebook group about encopresis. Most of the cases on there are more extreme than E is but still it's helpful. If you're on Facebook it might be worth a read to see what has helped others??  Not sure if this link will work: https://www.facebook.com/groups/41416557171/
Jenny - mama to

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2013, 01:52:14 am »
So are the constipation candies the only thing she's on now?
Jenny - mama to

Offline ENMS

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2013, 13:13:46 pm »
oh dear, I feel so stupid now! I read about encopresis a lot on BW but I always assumed it was only if LO's had diarrhea  :-[ :-[

Will join that group, thanks! Is the treatment the same as for constipation or are there differences?

Yes she is not on lax-a-day anymore. unfortunately it is hard to tell if it really is ok though, because she's in preschool so I don't see all her poos and it's hard to quiz her at the end of the day on how were her poos today?  LOL she looks at me as if I'm weird when I ask her!  :P

BUT, she doesn't have a tummy ache, and I've also noticed recently that she doesn't need to pee at night, which is something she has done every night for at least 6 months. I read somewhere it was related to constipation because the stools take too much space and push on her bladder so she can't hold large quantities. it's been about 1-2 weeks that she sleeps all night without getting up to pee.

I also can't really tell what worked, the new diet, the constipation candy, a combination of all of the above? I have a hunch it's a combination, her new diet is very healthy so it must help.

she's also on a strong probiotic but I can't say that just that alone has done anything for her really.
Elise

Offline draxela

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My beautiful cherubs
    • Swings and Roundabouts
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2013, 16:26:46 pm »
That sounds pretty awesome Elise. Any tips on how to get an almost 2 year old to eat a different kind of diet? DD1 is pretty good with chicken broth but absolutely will not touch sauerkraut or any other fermented vegetables. She doesn't eat any processed food (except for the very rare emergency chicken nugget or fish finger), she eats her vegies and her meat, she even eats seaweed for goodness' sake!

I'm going to try those constipation candies! What kind of sweetener did you use?

Which probiotic do you give your DD?

What does she eat at preschool??? This is one of my problems - N goes to daycare two days per week (because otherwise I would get full blown PND and throw myself under a bus) and they would feed her soy yoghurt all day if she refused her meals. Generally she's quite good and their food is fresh and homemade by an on site chef, but I don't know if they would be able to accommodate GAPS, yk?
Alex, mummy to:
~ touchy/angel N, 2 November 2011, Cow's milk allergy
~ spirited A, 18 March 2013, food intols, reflux, tongue tie, lip tie!

Offline draxela

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My beautiful cherubs
    • Swings and Roundabouts
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2013, 16:29:34 pm »
Also, do any of you give your LOs enemas a la GAPS? I shudder to think. My LO would have a fit and DH would think I'd gone mental. Not averse to the idea, just can't see it happening in practice.
Alex, mummy to:

Offline ENMS

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2013, 17:15:13 pm »
I think it worked for my DD, but it doesn't mean the same diet will work for everyone too. I'm guessing in her diet something was not settling well with her, but to this day I don't know what it is, and maybe for your LO it's a totally different thing.

I think doing a food journal definitely made me be able to point to certain things - food colourings and food additives. But I couldn't pinpoint anything else.

What also really helped is that she is now in preschool and I have to pack her lunch, whereas before she was at daycare where they provided food - and their definition of healthy is not exactly similar to my definition of healthy, yk?

I used maple syrup and I used a bit more than the recipe calls for (to entice my DD into eating it ;))

As for how to get her to eat those things... she won't drink broth on its own but I cook a lot with it. she doesn't like sauerkraut either but loves pickles so I bought traditional fermented pickles that are unpasteurized and I keep meaning to try other fermented recipes but am running out of time! apparently fermented carrots are good too. for us it was a slow move, we needed to adapt to DS's intolerances (low starch, low sugar) so that I wouldn't have to always make 2 meals and 2 snacks and so ended up having to make everything from scratch. I needed to tweak a lot of recipes that were safe for him to get her to like them but with lots of tries we were able to find recipes that she liked. and some items she's just dropped from her diet - for example regular yogurt, I make my own now but no matter how much I sweeten it she doesn't like it, I just don't buy the regular one anymore and if she doesn't like mine, she just doesn't eat any.

I'm in no means saying that it's a miracle cure, but it's helped her. and it's a process. it took a few months, and we went gradually. but your DD's diet sounds great, maybe it's not about diet for her, yk?

my son is 21 months and he does eat all these things, but he's been used to them for a long, long time. everything else hurt his tummy so he caught on quickly which foods helped him feel better. broth and sauerkraut juice in a bottle is a treat to him.  :-X :-X :-X

both my kids take the gutpro probiotic (available in the US)

and no, I've never tried enemas and also shudder to think. my friend uses enemas with her daughter who has severe issues and is following GAPS, but honestly, I'm not too interested and I don't think DD would ever allow me to do it.
Elise

Offline draxela

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My beautiful cherubs
    • Swings and Roundabouts
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2013, 21:58:25 pm »
Elise, I love that broth and sauerkraut juice in a bottle is a treat to your DS. That's gorgeous!!

So I've tried doubling N's probiotic dose and she's pooing again, quite dramatically actually. I'm going to keep up the double dose and see what effect it has in the longer term.

I like the way you've dropped regular yoghurt but still make your own. Maybe eventually your DD will start having it, but maybe not.

Question: did any of you try the GAPS 'sensitivity' test on your LOs? Did it work? I'm very skeptical.
Alex, mummy to:

Offline ENMS

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2013, 00:47:27 am »
Oh it's great that the increase probiotics are helping her. FX it continues to be that way.

I never did the GAPS sensitivity test  - not sure if it really works or not but I guess it doesn't hurt too much to try it!

Elise

Offline draxela

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My beautiful cherubs
    • Swings and Roundabouts
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2013, 04:24:00 am »
Hi ladies, just a quick update on DD1. We went to see a naturopath who suggested she may be magnesium deficient. She's been taking a mag powder mixed with water daily and it has made a HUGE difference. We're on day 5 of a dairy trial now and so far so good. She's still on her double dose of probiotics too.

Hope all your LOs are well xx
Alex, mummy to:

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2013, 05:26:12 am »
Interesting. Was the constipation the only clue to the magnesium deficiency? Glad it's all helping her!!
Jenny - mama to

Offline draxela

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My beautiful cherubs
    • Swings and Roundabouts
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2013, 08:33:14 am »
That and her intense need to sleep. She's nearly two and is still sleeping 15 hours a day and still seemed tired all the time. To be fair, the reflux baby from hell (her sister) has been waking her in the night on and off now for the past 6 months, but regardless the magnesium supplement seems to have helped with her tiredness.
Alex, mummy to:

Offline ENMS

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2013, 01:47:34 am »
Oh wow that is great Alex! I have heard that constipation can sometimes be caused by magnesium! Very interesting.
Elise

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2013, 03:17:46 am »
Magnesium is a natural laxative too :)

(I am studying to be a naturopath)

Offline draxela

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My beautiful cherubs
    • Swings and Roundabouts
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2013, 21:07:23 pm »
Ohhhh man. I spoke too soon ;(

Back to crying, holding in and encopresis. I think the mag just softened the poo and made her go ;(
Alex, mummy to: