Author Topic: how to increase feeding during day for 4mths old  (Read 1318 times)

Offline home alone

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
how to increase feeding during day for 4mths old
« on: May 11, 2013, 11:17:00 am »
My LO is on 4hr easy.  2hr A and 2hr S most of the time
He wakes up every 2- 2.5hr for feed.  I thought it was GS but it's been on and off like this for 3 wks.
He takes 4oz, 5oz, 6oz, 6oz during the day but he wakes every 2 -2.5hr and takes 6oz @ 10:30, 5oz 1am, 4oz 3am then 2oz @ 5am.
It because I offer less during the night.

I give him ebm during the day + 4-5oz formula during the day. During the night ebm + 6-8oz formula.

Monica
monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: how to increase feeding during day for 4mths old
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:40:27 am »
If he is draining his bottles during the day, you need to offer more.  At 4 months of age, I would expect he would take a 6-7 oz feed every 4 hrs.  That said, EBM can be the exception to the rule.. but same logic applies, if he drains it, offer more.  You want him to stop a feed leaving a small amount in the bottle - this ensures he is stopping because he is full, not because the food ran out :)

Hope this helps.

Offline home alone

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:37:28 am »
He rarely finishes 3oz at one feeding.  I have to offer it to him again little while later.
so it's EAEASY.
Perhaps this is a problem?
He's just not that interested in eating during the day especially in the first half of the day.
He feeds better towards bedtime.  Probably hungry by then.

Is there anything else I can do?
monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 23:42:10 pm »
Ah... sounds like a snacking issue then.

I wouldn't actually re-offer the feed until it has been a few hours.. you want him to be good and hungry so he will take a good feed. 

Other thought - what level nipples are you using?

Offline home alone

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 18:23:15 pm »
His A time is 2 hrs so should I offer him when he wakes up then again close to S time?
I switch to fast flow nipple ( Playtex nurser )
This is whole other issue but I bf him from birth but he lost 1kg in 4days. His mouth moves as if he's sucking but not swallowing.
He continued to have this problem with bottles as well so I switch to fast flow around 2mths.
He was not drinking much at all.  Though not reflux related based on my experience with my other kids (both refluxer)
He's just a lazy sucker.
monica

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 03:08:05 am »
I wouldn't feed again until he wakes up from his nap (this will be at least 3 hrs after he last ate, ideally closer to 4 hrs).  Distract him as best you can!

Have you had him checked for a tongue tie?  Lip tie?