Author Topic: 6.5 month old refusing to take anything more than 15oz a day!! HELP!  (Read 2231 times)

Offline rishaanim

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My baby boy has been a fussy eater since day 1. Just last week he was taking 5 5-6oz of formula plus one feeding of solids a day, 3-3.5 hrs apart from each other. Past 3 days he has come down to 3 bottles a day!! And does not drink anything more than 5oz. It takes me an hour to feed him. It is so exhausting. I have tried the fast flow nipple with him but he still prefers the medium flow but still takes forever to finish his bottle. He also never cries for milk, no matter how long it's been since his last feed!

On his 6month old check up doctor checked his ears, so no infection, checked gums, no teething! So what in the world could be wrong?!! I'm so out of clues! I have tried the sippy cup, another type of bottle, nothing works. He even doesn't eat solids properly. So it's not like I can compensate over there. It bothers me a lot as I keep thinking how to get him to drink his bottle again the entire day :( if anyone has gone through the same situation or has ideas pls advise.

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
He even doesn't eat solids properly

He may not be ready for them yet.  Given his low milk intake, I would stop them for now until we can get that back up.

At his age, he should be eating on a 4 hr routine.. he may not want a feed after only 3 - 3.5 hrs so he takes a small feed... then is ready for another snack a few hours later...

I would go back to the faster flow (it will take a couple days to get used to it for sure; I used to hold my DD a little more upright while she learned to control a new faster teat).  Offer a full 8 oz feed when he wakes for the day.  Stop the feed after 20/30 mins.  Push him as far as you can until the next feed and offer a full feed again.. stop after 20/30 mins... he is snacking right now so he needs to be taught that he will be offered a good feed on a regular routine... it might take a few days to get him sorted, but he will get there :)

Hope this helps.

Offline rishaanim

• Showing Appreciation 0

If he stops with just 4-5 oz down in 30mins, should I not try to feed him again? Like I said it takes me an hour to an hour and a half to feed him 5oz of milk.! Going to stop giving him that one serving of solids from tomorrow, hopefully it goes well.

Will let you know, thanks for your advise :)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
If he stops with just 4-5 oz down in 30mins, should I not try to feed him again

Nope.  That will just reinforce the snacking habit... if he manages 4-5 ozs, I wouldn't offer for at least 3 hrs.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Is he happy in himself? Any symptoms of reflux or intolerance discomfort?
Tongue tie?
Reflux 101 - General reflux information
Does my LO have food intolerances?

How are poops?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline rishaanim

• Showing Appreciation 0
Is he happy in himself? Any symptoms of reflux or intolerance discomfort?

How are poops?

Hi!

He is a happy child otherwise, never cries for milk, plays around, naps twice a day with a total of 3-3 1/2 hrs a day, no reflux, poops once a day, though today he did not poop at all as I fed him plum organics baby food yesterday that had blueberry, pear and purple carrot! His doctor on his 6 month check up had said that carrots cause constipation but he was not showing any signs of it today just did not poop!

I still gave him some prunes, just in case.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
:) great just wanted to make sure :-*
***Sara***

Offline rishaanim

• Showing Appreciation 0

So he just went to bed 15mins ago. I was calculating and today was a little better than yesterday, I did not feed him solids at all. He in total had abt 22oz of milk today. But no poop. Waiting for tomorrow to see if he poops. But It took me abt 45-50 mins to feed him around 5-6 oz every time. I made him play in his jumper, lots of rolling around, play yard time, so he burns those calories and makes space for more food for the next feed.

Hoping tomorrow will be better will try to keep feeds for abt 30mins. Fast flow teat was a little messy though as kept a big gulp of milk in his mouth and spit it out many times the entire day, more like he was bored of having milk or tired.

Offline rishaanim

• Showing Appreciation 0
Thanks for checking on me Sara! You ladies are great support  :) :-*

Offline rishaanim

• Showing Appreciation 0

So last he woke up at about 1:20am and was going to sleep when I patted him but it took him almost 2houra before he could sleep soundly without any interruptions again. I wonder if that was because he did not eat any solids yesterday?

Gave him a bottle at 7:30am, he drank 6oz. Going to continue him on no solids for today as well. Lets see what the milk consumption be and if he wakes up again at night or keeps sleeping. Wish me luck :)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: 6.5 month old refusing to take anything more than 15oz a day!! HELP!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 02:53:12 am »
Luck! :-*
***Sara***

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
Re: 6.5 month old refusing to take anything more than 15oz a day!! HELP!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 04:51:27 am »
So last he woke up at about 1:20am and was going to sleep when I patted him but it took him almost 2houra before he could sleep soundly without any interruptions again. I wonder if that was because he did not eat any solids yesterday?

I would have fed if he had not resettled after about 20 mins ;)  But that was always my first line of defense!

It could be that he was looking for more milk overnight because of the lack of solids but unlikely... I would be more willing to bet it was a sore tum as he didn't poop ;)