Author Topic: Still having trouble with solids  (Read 8565 times)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Still having trouble with solids
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 01:57:58 am »
I'm a big fan of the "throw everything in the blender" smoothie recipes -- when the girls were smaller, we did yogurt, milk, and some fruit (bananas, strawberries) -- so that largely wouldn't work for you.  With ds, I do juice, yogurt (do you have a good yogurt sub?), greens (spinach, kale, etc), and frozen fruit (strawberries, berry mixes, mango, etc).  Maybe leave the greens out at first -- spinach is the least distinctive taste out of all the greens if you wanted to try one. 

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 16:45:09 pm »
he likes kale and spinach so that would work. I could add coconut yogurt he likes that and some ice and frozen strawberries, that sounds good maybe i'll make some for myself too :)
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2013, 02:19:06 am »
They're good!  DS and I share smoothies every morning -- it took a little for me to get used to them with spinach, but I love spinach strawberry smoothies.  :)  And then I feel like I've gotten some vegetables in him, since he won't eat them otherwise.  ::)

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2013, 23:16:08 pm »
We are big fans of smoothies here too :)  DH makes great ones.  And I think because DH "shares" his with B he thinks it's really exciting because it's what Daddy is having too, yk?

Siobhan - I finally remembered to send you the muffin recipe! :)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 12:21:58 pm »
Thanks. :)

**Siobhan**

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 13:52:10 pm »
Oh Hun! I am sorry! I went away for a nice long camping trip and we had no cell service so I couldn't get on here to check any postings!! I had sent you that black bean burger recipe. Did he like it, or at least try a bite? I still have a few more recipes you could try that work for our whole family (including DS2) that are MSP free that I could send you, so you have a few meals that you can maybe eat off the same plate together with him sitting on your lap. I also have a recipe for a biscuit that I make for DS2 with his infant cereal that I could send you (I make a batch, then freeze them so I can just pull them out when I need them!)

I know that I had swallowing/texture issues with DS2 up until a little over a month ago and we had a referral to a SLP in the works in case things weren't getting any better (he gagged on anything that wasn't a purée), so there isn't any harm in going to the paediatrician or seeing a public health nurse to get an occupational therapy referral. Here the OT comes to your house and watches a normal meal and can give suggestions on how to help the, eat better!
-Nadia

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 16:49:44 pm »
Thanks, his ped wont give us a referral to an OT as she doesn't think he needs it. I didn't want to argue with her at the point because his eating is a bit better. I honestly don't think he's got an eating/swallowing issue any longer as he's eating more things. It's definitely a texture thing. I've found that for snacks like his yogurt and fruit I let him eat on the go. When we're in the living room or he's playing I'll give him spoon fulls of yogurt or a bowl of cantaloupe and he'll eat it all. But cause a ruckus if he's in his high chair. For the meals I still make him sit in the high chair, I've got to have some semblance of order or I may go mad. :) But he's doing better. I offer less options, usually 2 or 3 one I know he'll eat and one I think he'll eat LOL and one that's a bit new. Working for the past few days but there's also been lots of family around to distract him which helps. :)

**Siobhan**